Shopping list for my Troopie - long list of questions...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My gf and I are starting to plan our trip back to South Africa in August.

I need to get various items for my 1988 HZJ75 TroopCarrier. I know I can get some of these over there, but I would like to gather as much as possible before hand.

Before I post the questions on the various Land Cruiser forum I thought perhaps someone here would know some of the answers...:

-I want to add a rear locker as mine did not come with the limited slip found on the newer HZJ78. Does someone know what model of ARB rear locker I need? I have a 2H and a 5 speed (H55F) with stock gearing.

-I also want to get a winch. Last time I was in Botswana there were a couple times I would have feel more confident having one, as we were really remote. I can't remember which type of Warn winch will fit better on my ARB front bumper. I have the classic older style ARB bumper. I have attached a picture, if anyone could tell me which model I should be looking for...

-Also, for the same front bumper, does anyone sell a kit to mount a Hi-Lift jack? Something similar to this Land Rover picture. That's pretty much the best place I can think of to mount my hi-lift right now.

http://homepage.mac.com/str8films1/Defender110_TDI/large-23.html

-I am also looking for sand ladders in South Africa (I can't obviously get these one here and bring it with me...), and a kit to mount them on the side of the truck. I remember seeing that long time ago from a German company. It's like 2 brackets that install on the side of the truck, over or below the windows. I am sure I can custom made something, but I'd like to find these if possible as it would be one less thing to deal with. Or at least some pictures to have a model.
Anyone remembers seeing this anywhere on the web?

As you can see, I am planning a lot of updates before the second phase of our journey...I am getting really excited. I just got some new maps today...

:Mechanic:

thanks for any input!

Attachments

• LRARB.jpg
    LRARB.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 52915460.OurTroopieOurTroopieAroundTheWorld2.jpg
    52915460.OurTroopieOurTroopieAroundTheWorld2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
2aroundtheworld said:
-I want to add a rear locker as mine did not come with the limited slip found on the newer HZJ78. Does someone know what model of ARB rear locker I need? I have a 2H and a 5 speed (H55F) with stock gearing.
OK I hope this helps...

For a 88 HZJ75 the Lockers needed will be an ARB RD33 (front 30 spline) and ARB RD132 (rear 30 spline).
2aroundtheworld said:
-I also want to get a winch. Last time I was in Botswana there were a couple times I would have feel more confident having one, as we were really remote. I can't remember which type of Warn winch will fit better on my ARB front bumper. I have the classic older style ARB bumper. I have attached a picture, if anyone could tell me which model I should be looking for...
You should have an ARB 3412130 on your LC... it should fit a Warn M12000, M10000, XD9000, M8274, and M8000.
2aroundtheworld said:
-Also, for the same front bumper, does anyone sell a kit to mount a Hi-Lift jack? Something similar to this Land Rover picture. That's pretty much the best place I can think of to mount my hi-lift right now.

http://homepage.mac.com/str8films1/Defender110_TDI/large-23.html
Hi-Lift Jack mounts, and QuickFist clamps can offer different mounting solutions... Otherwise you should be able to install a nut and bolt into the bull bar portion of the bumper.
2aroundtheworld said:
-I am also looking for sand ladders in South Africa (I can't obviously get these one here and bring it with me...), and a kit to mount them on the side of the truck. I remember seeing that long time ago from a German company. It's like 2 brackets that install on the side of the truck, over or below the windows. I am sure I can custom made something, but I'd like to find these if possible as it would be one less thing to deal with. Or at least some pictures to have a model.
Anyone remembers seeing this anywhere on the web?
Not too sure on this one... It would depend on the sand ladder selected. I think most of them you can purchase an optional mount. But my stand by would be QuickFists, and a locking cable to prevent theft.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Wil,

thank you very much. looks like you are right for the ARB locker number for the front. However this list gives me a different number for the back - RD124

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215110.pdf

Can you confirm about the RD132?

you are also right about bolting down the Hi-Lift jack to the top of the bumper, I just remember the two upper brackets that seems to have been designed for that purpose. thanks for bringing this back to my mind.

looks like I will be spending some good money now...

:(

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Christian

It might be best to call ARB and confirm the part number. I was going off an older catalog...

lowenbrau

Explorer
At risk of nitpicking. The Cruiser model is actually an HJ75 and, since you have the full floater in the back, you can use the four spider RD33 in the front as well as the back. That's good from both a strength perspective as well as being able to swap front to back if you needed to.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
lowenbrau said:
At risk of nitpicking. The Cruiser model is actually an HJ75 and, since you have the full floater in the back, you can use the four spider RD33 in the front as well as the back. That's good from both a strength perspective as well as being able to swap front to back if you needed to.

no, you are right, it's a HJ75. i don't know where I got that idea about HZJ. thanks for correcting...

I am also glad to realize that it has full floater.

ok, so now, who has a RD33 for sale?

:)

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
How are you going to aquire a Troupie here in the states?? We had two in OZ on the ranch, SWEET RIGS!!!! I would love to know how to find one here...

AndrewALanDave.jpg

Here's a crappy pic of me (on the left) about 5 years ago In Qld. We used these rigs for EVERYTHING, and they never let us down.

Dave

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
4Rescue said:
How are you going to aquire a Troupie here in the states?? We had two in OZ on the ranch, SWEET RIGS!!!! I would love to know how to find one here...

Dave

Dave,

I bought my Troopie in Sydney 2 years ago and shipped it from Perth to Durban. It is currently in Pretoria. My plan is to go back in August for a few weeks to do more traveling and preparations, and sometimes next year when my contract ends I will drive it from S.A. to Europe.

Eventually I would like to bring it back to Canada as it is 15 years old and right now it is still possible to import them (in CAN, not in the U.S.), but by then who knows what the regulation will be.

sorry about that, but forget about finding one in the usa...although i think there's one guy who had one in Florida or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste