MPG & Reliability?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi, I've been looking at the Dscos and really like them. I have also been reading the forums on these as well. If you look at sites like Consumer Reports, the LR has the worst reviews I've seen since the Pinto. Then you guys love'em. So what's the issuewith a LR as a daily driver as your principle vehicle? And, along with that is gas milage of 10 and 12 mpg for such a small vehicle, my F-150 gets better MPG I think....so is there a different engine, diesel (?) that reaches 20 mpg? Whay is the mpg so poor for the disc? Don't get me wrong, I love the vehicle but there is also the practicality of maintenance and mpg and I'm not a wrencher....Thanks

mongosd2

Adventurer
He's not kidding, these vehicles CAN become very expensive to maintain...as for your other questions, no there's not another factory option for increased fuel mileage. Off the ship I think they were quoted for 15 city 17 highway or something like that...

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
My RRC with slightly larger tires gets 16-17mpg and I don't baby it. I keep the speed under 70mph and don't race away from stop lights. My commute is 30 miles of steep, windy mountain road followed by 30 miles of 65mph interstate. It has its quirks but I trust it completely.

Same commute, my dad could get 19mpg in our old '95 Disco. Disco went 189k miles with only scheduled maint.

Last edited:

fishEH

Explorer
Disco's are heavy for their size. They also use an old engine using old technology. This makes them failry easy to work on but also gives them crappy mpg. The more mods you do to the truck and the more weight you add the worse your mpg is going to be.
If you like wrenching or want to get good at wrenching, or have deep pockets, then buy a LR.
I have done at LOT of work on my truck and thus am very intimately aquainted with it. I trust it to go anywhere and that should I breakdown I will have the knowledge and tools to repair it.

Regardless of what vehicle you buy a good knowlegde of its working should be had along with good mechanical skills if you plan to take it on extended trips. Or of course, deep pockets. But deep pockets aren't going to help you bypass the broken brake light switch preventing you from shifting out of park on some remote trail in the middle of nowhere. :sombrero:

rijosho

Adventurer
Hi, I've been looking at the Dscos and really like them. I have also been reading the forums on these as well. If you look at sites like Consumer Reports, the LR has the worst reviews I've seen since the Pinto. Then you guys love'em. So what's the issuewith a LR as a daily driver as your principle vehicle? And, along with that is gas milage of 10 and 12 mpg for such a small vehicle, my F-150 gets better MPG I think....so is there a different engine, diesel (?) that reaches 20 mpg? Whay is the mpg so poor for the disc? Don't get me wrong, I love the vehicle but there is also the practicality of maintenance and mpg and I'm not a wrencher....Thanks

Is it just me, or does someone post basically this same thread every other week?

:mixed-smiley-030:

LtFuzz

Explorer

Check out the thread on the front page "Why I love my Land Rover" for some reasons why we put up with these things.

It's not because they get good gas mileage. :)

gm13

Adventurer
I typically get 15.5-16 mpg in my Disco II, yes that is low but not only is it a heavy truck, it is permanent 4WD I gather that's good for -2mpg. For the 2 years I've had it it's been driven every day and has always been reliable. I'll add that I've addressed some of the notorious issues such as replacing the air suspension and head gasket. I did learn a bit about the brake light shorting and preventing a shift out of park when I installed the rear access ladder. Poor design on that one IMO. It's for sale btw.

Doctor W

Adventurer
Not a wrencher? Buy a Toyota.

A very cruel dismissal!.....why not encourage the guy to get one and then see why they're so great!

Oh and he should read "Why I Love my Land Rover" thread on here....it tells it like it is!

Did you see the analysis that L-R did on the Toyota Prius?.....it takes more energy to build one than a Range Rover 5.0 S/C Autobiography and it's projected life is only 7 years....they still don't know how to recycle it's batteries, wheras the RR will last 25 at least (as long as nothing unforseen happens!)....and it is fully recyclable....built using renewable energy sources and still will consume less materials and energy (including fuel!) per year than the Prius!!!....that is over 25 years opposed to 7.

The Prius is one big CON JOB!!!!!! to sooth the hearts and minds of ignorant but well meaning people or Trendoids!!!!!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
You've got to be cruel to be kind.

I'd rather see somebody completely ignore other's warnings about how horrible Land Rovers and buy one and make it work. That would be much better than blowing sunshine up his *** and then having him be pissed when it breaks for the first time.

brushogger

Explorer
Nothing is a better combination of comfort and capability IMHO, and I've pretty much owned the whole gamut of fwds over the last 35 years. Nuff said.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
A very cruel dismissal!.....why not encourage the guy to get one and then see why they're so great!

Oh and he should read "Why I Love my Land Rover" thread on here....it tells it like it is!

Did you see the analysis that L-R did on the Toyota Prius?.....it takes more energy to build one than a Range Rover 5.0 S/C Autobiography and it's projected life is only 7 years....they still don't know how to recycle it's batteries, wheras the RR will last 25 at least (as long as nothing unforseen happens!)....and it is fully recyclable....built using renewable energy sources and still will consume less materials and energy (including fuel!) per year than the Prius!!!....that is over 25 years opposed to 7.

The Prius is one big CON JOB!!!!!! to sooth the hearts and minds of ignorant but well meaning people or Trendoids!!!!!

But what about a land cruiser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online