Best External Harddrive

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I'm looking to pickup an external harddrive to carry on trips and install Overland Navigator software and maps on it. I like the idea of something rugged and portable but I have no experience with this setup. I'm thinking something in the range of 3-500 gigs should be plenty of space dedicated to navigation only.

Are the "rugged" harddrives worth the extra money, or is it generaly overkill? This looks intresting, maybe overkill though?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrain-FireWire-Portable-301371/dp/B0018B5CA8/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0"]http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrain-FireWire-Portable-301371/dp/B0018B5CA8/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0[/ame]

I'm also looking for the simplest plug n play design if possible, and something that will work well enough with an older laptop on XP.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used both the rugged style like you linked to and normal usb ones..and I am stupid rough on my stuff with lots of desert dust around.
Honestly I have never had a harddrive fail and that includes running them 14hrs a day every day bouncing down washboard desert tracks.

Currently my practice is to save the money on the rugged ones and get a couple of smaller usb normal ones and duplicate vital info. This gives me more storage space and backup in case of issues.

Seems to work well so far.

Pest

Adventurer
If you want truly rugged, get a Solid State Disc (SSD). I'm not 100% certain, but I'd guess that 300-500GB is way overkill. I'd guess that a few 32GB SD cards would hold all you need (but not be the fastest performance).

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the "rugged" design might be overkill and I do like the mirrored drives in case one of them does crap out on me. I really don't do a lot of traveling yet, so I'm sure they would last me a long time.

The reason I mentioned 3-500 gigs is also to save pics and video along the way. I thought about flash drives, mem cards etc but I wasn't sure of the speed when pulling info from them. And Overland Nav maps take up 3-6 gigs of space per map, so that would be a few cards. No big deal either way I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94