Source for stranded wire?

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm still recovering from sticker shock for quality stranded wire at West Marine. Does anyone have a source for more affordable alternatives?

I need 8-14 gauge, either by the foot or in 25' spools.

xtatik

Explorer
I'm still recovering from sticker shock for quality stranded wire at West Marine. Does anyone have a source for more affordable alternatives?

I need 8-14 gauge, either by the foot or in 25' spools.

Most of the wire at Worst Marine is tinned or marine grade....it ain't cheap.
Looks like you're in OC, so you might try MarVac in Costa Mesa on Harbor Blvd. or, try Orvac in Fullerton on Orangethorpe.

GeoScum

Adventurer
So you are talking about various lengths of standard building wire like stranded THHN or THWN? There really isn't much reason to get fancier than this.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Stranded "building wire" isn't very flexible - the strand count isn't high enough, and I don't think the insulation has a very high temp rating either.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Ford Electronics in Fullerton is another option. Powerwerx in Brea also sells good stuff.

GeoScum

Adventurer
tried NAPA or another auto parts place? How about car stereo shops?

The OP should probably tell us what he wants to accomplish. But I would think that if 75*C or 90*C THHW isn't good enough, NAPA and Car Tubes may not be much help.

THHN, THHW and THWN can all be bought very high strand count. We just need to know the application.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I get all my electrical wiring and connectors off ebay. it is so much cheaper for same or better quality than anything store bought.

kjp1969

Explorer
The insulation on THHN is rated for 75C in wet or oily locations, which is 167F. That's lower than the thermostat point on the cooling system, and probably close to the temp on a hot transmission tunnel. It's pretty close to the interior temps on a hot sunny day. Even if it didn't fail outright, the insulation would probably cook off in a matter of months or years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94