Camshaft position sensor?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I finished my head gasket this past week and got the rover started and the fluids all toped up on Saturday. Then yesterday I went to my brother’s house about 30 minuets away. On the way home the check engine light popped back on. When I got back to the house I was getting a code for the camshaft position sensor? When to look at it sensor, sure enough it was unplugged. I wanted to know why I could start the truck without this sensor plugged in… Try that on a jeep and it’s a no start. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that if that ever happened in the field the rover would get me home. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t mess up the sensor while doing the head job or for that matter driving home with the sensor unplugged.

Nate
:smiley_drive:

Paladin

Banned
D1?

The camshaft position sensor should not be mission-critical for an engine to run. I don't know about Jeeps, but that should not be.

When the camshaft sensor is faulty, a sequential multi-point system will simply revert to a batchfire system as a failsafe strategy. The only effect would be slightly elevated emissions and maybe reduced power.

brushogger

Explorer
D1?

The camshaft position sensor should not be mission-critical for an engine to run. I don't know about Jeeps, but that should not be.

When the camshaft sensor is faulty, a sequential multi-point system will simply revert to a batchfire system as a failsafe strategy. The only effect would be slightly elevated emissions and maybe reduced power.

Ditto this. The crank position sensor is another story though. A failure will kill your truck. Always carry a spare. Ask me how I know this.........

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Anyone know what happened to the expedition parts list thread? I can't find it. I'm going in the Wyoming backcountry for two weeks this summer climbing and it would be nice to know what all would be a good Idea to have?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"When the camshaft sensor is faulty, a sequential multi-point system will simply revert to a batchfire system as a failsafe strategy. The only effect would be slightly elevated emissions and maybe reduced power. "

Not sure on a D1 but on a D2 your truck just won't start -run....ever with it disconected.

Its location on a D2 is drivers side bottom of the engine alongside the gearbox cowl.

Paladin

Banned
That's the crankshaft sensor, not the camshaft.

Yes, crankshaft is mission critical. Camshaft should not be, but I haven't personally tested yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier