Banned land rover 130

GTABurnout

Explorer
easy because chevy ford and dodge couldnt compete with that on the market

Yep it was banned because dodge, chevy and ford can't figure out how to make one. Yeah thats what happened. If that was the case all Land Cruisers, tacomas etc would be banned as well.

I say let them in whats one more broken Rover...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yep it was banned because dodge, chevy and ford can't figure out how to make one. Yeah thats what happened. If that was the case all Land Cruisers, tacomas etc would be banned as well.
They sorta are, though. Toyota & Nissan stopped importing 2-door SUVs and moved production of pickups to the US to escape the 25% chicken tax started in the 1960s. For many years Toyota trucks came into the US without pickup boxes because the tariff was lower on cab-and-chassis trucks. All of this nonsense was because in the 1970s and 1980s Chevydodgeford could not make a competitive small truck and got government protection. Even despite costing more the Japanese trucks still sold, though.

overlander

Expedition Leader
These kind of threads always go ugly early and stay that way...the battle of the brands continues like the Gaza strip.

I found the article interesting regardless. :ylsmoke:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ah the N. American care market and it's blind faith in the "big 3" ... If it weren't for all the working class folks(aka the tax-payers of this country) that depenbd on the job I'd say let them all go under...

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
They sorta are, though. Toyota & Nissan stopped importing 2-door SUVs and moved production of pickups to the US to escape the 25% chicken tax started in the 1960s. For many years Toyota trucks came into the US without pickup boxes because the tariff was lower on cab-and-chassis trucks. All of this nonsense was because in the 1970s and 1980s Chevydodgeford could not make a competitive small truck and got government protection. Even despite costing more the Japanese trucks still sold, though.
YEP... DaveInDenver get's it.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I think the bigger issue for the 130 (and 90, 110) is that cost to make it DOT compliant vs potential sales. Although this sight is a fan base for basic, highly functional trucks, the overal market is not so the bean counters do not see a profit ROI to bring them in. Add the fluctuation in ownership of LR in the past 20 years and you're not going to get them to make the investment.

Viggen

Just here...
This thread is kind of irrelevant. Those cannot be imported because they are younger than 25 years old. Once theyre 25, those will ALL start coming into the country. There are quite a few Trabbys in America already.

Stupid list is stupid list. Wired wasted time on this one.

cwsqbm

Explorer
This thread is kind of irrelevant. Those cannot be imported because they are younger than 25 years old. Once theyre 25, those will ALL start coming into the country. There are quite a few Trabbys in America already.

Stupid list is stupid list. Wired wasted time on this one.

+1 Exactly, the list of cars not allowed is pretty much every car sold anywhere in the last 25 years that isn't desired by Bill Gates.

Better news, according to that list, you can now bring in a 1985–1995 RMA Amphi-Ranger.

gary in ohio

Explorer
That was a crappy article.... The title was banned vehicles. Most were just vehicles never brought in to the US since they didnt meet the DOT/EPA rules.

Canol 109

Observer
I've seen 2 - 130's today, a couple of Figaros live down the street, my neighbor just sold his Smart Car, there's a couple of Elise around and RHD Skylines are all the rage with the tuner crowd here in Vancouver:26_7_2:.:wings::smiley_drive:

I think you are right when you say it's the big 3 that has prevented you lot down south of the 49th, from driving these so called "banned" vehicles.

DividingCreek

Explorer
It's banned because it does not comply with NHTSA regulations. They don't have air bags.

Yes but that applies to every Defender post 97my. Wonder why the 2000-2002 130 is listed. Not that its eligible for entry anyway, but why the 130 versus the 90 and 110. The frame is thicker,brakes better etc-why this wheel base as opposed to the other 2. May have to do with the way the brits do their load calcs. In the UK the 130 is a 5/4 ton truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles