Off road popup build

Dr. Jones

Observer
My wife and I have always been tent campers. We really never even considered the idea of owning a camper trailer of any kind… until we had kids. Now we have to have perfect weather, or the kids don’t sleep (which means we don’t sleep) and it’s a big enough hassle that we have only gotten out a handful of times in the past several years. Enter the tent trailer.

I never wanted a popup before because, well, I drive a Jeep for a reason and don’t want to take a paved road to the Camper World for the weekend. I’d seen off road popups before but frankly I can’t afford one. Then I saw some build here and particularly Atoyot’s build on Mud and was inspired to steal, uh I mean use his idea and build my own off road popup.

After watching the classifieds for months, I scored a sweet deal on a 1975…something. The title says travel trailer. I doesn’t list the make or model, but I think it’s a Rockwood based on the lift system, which was broken on the front, which may be why it was so cheap. We picked it up just before Christmas as a present for the family. I waited until now to post a build thread so I would actually have something to show. Unlike Atoyot’s, mine is slow going.

Some before pictures of the interior, mostly for my reference so I could put it back together right.
DSCN9927.jpg

IMG_20101224_180425.jpg

Broken front lift chain.
DSCN9942.jpg

I was a slacker on before pictures of the exterior.
popup1.jpg

This is mostly stripped out.
GOPR0015.jpg

I set a 33 next to the trailer to get a very rough idea of what I was looking at. The massive rear overhand had to go if I was going to do any kind of moderate wheeling with this thing.
GOPR0023.jpg

Mockup of the new box shape (see duct tape lines).
GOPR0034.jpg

Basically I was going to have to completely rebuild the box to get the shape I wanted, but that’s okay because it was built out of structural cardboard and wood paneling anyway. I jumped right into tearing it apart.

Water tank and rubbermaid tote wheelwell. Actually not a bad idea.
DSCN9929.jpg

Found some sweet wiring. I hope this was the PO, not the factory.
DSCN9932.jpg

Stripped down to the bare frame.
DSCN9972.jpg

I was hoping to be able to reuse most of the frame, but that idea was gone as soon as I saw how it was made. The only thing I kept was the tongue.

One way my build differs from the others I looked at is that I wanted the farthest point out on all sides to be metal instead of wood (because I’m quite sure I’ll run this into something at some point). To accomplish this, I built the frame 1” wider than the outside of the box all the way around. The problem this created was that I had to build the box first. Once again I was a huge slacker on the pictures, so here is the mostly built frame and box (upside down).

IMG_20110319_114437.jpg

IMG_20110316_183342-1.jpg

I got a free 3500lb drop axle from a friend of mine, but it was way too wide; so I narrowed it to 61”.
IMG_20110316_183326-1.jpg

IMG_20110317_181036.jpg

Perches flipped to the other side of the axle. I can’t believe the amount of clearance this has with just 30” tires.
IMG_20110325_181543.jpg

IMG_20110325_182705.jpg

IMG_20110316_192502.jpg

It was a great moment when I finally mounted the box on the frame.
IMG_20110330_185811.jpg

More to come.

Dr. Jones

Observer
Because of how the lift system works, I had to leave gaps in the plywood body for the lift struts. I also had to relocate the rear lift forward 12” to accommodate my sweet angled body lines.
IMG_20110403_133344.jpg

IMG_20110402_184206.jpg

Before cutting a new hole for the struts.
IMG_20110402_184130.jpg

I used 16 gauge sheet metal to brace the body at the rear lift struts. Overkill? Perhaps.
IMG_20110402_202709.jpg

Rear lift mounted to the floor.
IMG_20110403_133324.jpg

Most of the time on this build has been figuring out how to make it work. Changing the shape of the box added a bunch of complexity, so hopefully it's worth it.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Very ambitious....

but extremely cool!!:victory:

Don't worry about overbuilding....you'll never be dissappointed...:ylsmoke:

Good luck, can't wait to see more progress

Pat

Dr. Jones

Observer
The bottom of the frame is a few inches above the tire. I took off the wheels to work on the interior, so I can't get an exact measurement right now. I haven't decided if that's the final ride height or not yet. I'd like to avoid having wheel wells to maximize storage space, but if it's too high I'll cut some and lower it. All part of the figure-it-out-as-I-go approach.

greentruck

Adventurer
Wow, big project, but looks like you're over the hump of getting it where it will be more fun from this point. Looking forward to seeing it grow from this point on.

Dr. Jones

Observer
Didn't get much done last week. I had to turn my attention over to getting the Jeep ready for EJS (leaving tomorrow :wings:). I did frame in the galley and get a bunch of measurements for the benches and corner cabinet. The interior should come together pretty quickly next week when I get back.

Crappy phone pic.
IMG_20110416_202155.jpg

Pest

Adventurer
That's a really short galley. Gonna be on your knees to use it.

I've seen a number of popups with complex cabinet lifter things, but I've also seen a few with just a piano hinge on the front, so when folded down the galley is upside down. Perhaps that would be easy and better than so low?

Just my $0.03

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
This is a super-cool build. You're going a lot further into it than I ever did with mine, but I think you'll be happy with your extra effort.

All I did with mine was build a subframe to hold the torsion axle 11 inches lower down from the body. I tossed some bigger tires on it and called it done. I dragged mine through some pretty tough trails. Even with just 30" tires, it had enough clearance to go on any trails that it was physically narrow enough to fit on:

camper.jpg

I had its frame graze a few boulders, but that was no big deal. I did manage to bust most of the marker lights over the years, and I tore off one half of its chintzy rear bumper, and one time I sheared off the doorknob while squeezing between a couple tightly-spaced trees, but overall it was a ton of fun to be seen wayyy out in the backcountry with such a big trailer. Nobody could ever believe where I dragged that thing!

I sold it a number of years ago and I now have a Lifetime Tent Trailer that is much more trail-worthy. It's more compact, lighter, hauls more gear, and opens up to be nearly as big. It's better-designed for off-road use than the popup camper was.

Dr. Jones

Observer
That's a really short galley. Gonna be on your knees to use it.

I've seen a number of popups with complex cabinet lifter things, but I've also seen a few with just a piano hinge on the front, so when folded down the galley is upside down. Perhaps that would be easy and better than so low?

Just my $0.03

It's got a lifter thing. It raises about a foot after you slide the beds out. It's still slightly low, but much better. The nice thing is I built it in two pieces, so I can easily add a spacer and mount it a little higher once I get the beds in place and see how much clearance there is. I'll get a picture of it popped up later.

RubiconGeoff, NICE! That's what I'm going for with mine, so I'm glad to hear yours held up pretty well mostly stock.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Great build. I did not go this far with the one I had. I simply started with to large of a trailer. Next time I will go smaller

zjrog

Observer
Of course, I thought I'd decided NOT to do anything with my 72 Starcraft popup other than use it...

Nice build so far, can't wait to see the final outcome.:drool:

Dr. Jones

Observer
Back from a great week in Moab! I love everything about that trip, but setting up our unnecessarily complicated 8 man tent and air mattresses for the kids for 4 nights made me super-motivated to get the trailer done.

I framed in the driver side bench last night.
IMG_20110425_204156.jpg

here you can see the galley popped up. I think I'll still raise it a couple more inches if I can.
IMG_20110425_204132.jpg

The lift mechanism. Pretty cool actually.
IMG_20110425_204210.jpg

wingysataday

Adventurer
lookin good man! Great work so far. It should be very stout. That is the problem with most pop ups, they are just not built for off road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior