Off road popup build

Dr. Jones

Observer
It's been a busy month, but I finally made some progress. I promise one of these days I'll take some pictures with a real camera instead of my phone.

Both benches framed and lids installed (less hinges).
IMG_20110516_183251.jpg

Corner cabinet. I built shelves exactly the right size to hold 4 small totes of stuff. The bottom will be storage for the lift crank and other things like that. It will be skinned and have a couple doors, not just bare shelves.
IMG_20110516_183309.jpg

When I ran out of things I could build without going to the hardware store, I took apart the converter and fixed the broken wire that kept the 12v side from working.
IMG_20110516_195416.jpg

Next is installing drawers and the heater under the galley, plumbing, wiring, and gas. Then I'll be ready to make the interior pretty. I guess at some point I should attach the lift struts to the top and put the bunks in. Oh and the table... Okay so there is a lot left, but at least things have calmed down enough that I can work on it.

Dr. Jones

Observer
Soooo, remember that last post where I said "at least things have calmed down enough that I can work on it." Yeah, that lasted about a week. Then we decided to get the house ready to sell, not sell it, decide to rent it, have renters loose their jobs and bail out at the last minute, find new renters, move, and at the same time I gave up my long term battle with making the TJ a family vehicle, sold it and bought a nearly stock XJ that I still need to build. Now with limited funds, no garage in the new place, and rapidly approaching winter, my priorities for this trailer have changed somewhat and I'm putting all my effort into making it functional before worrying about extra features (like RV hookups, since most of the time it will be back woods dry docking). On the plus side, though, I was able to get quite a bit done over the past week.

I put the top on.
IMG_20110923_180302.jpg

build a door
IMG_20110923_180311.jpg

plumbed the furnace intake and exhaust. I had to hack off the back pannel and pipe them separately to fit around the lift crank that ended up slightly higher than stock.
IMG_20110923_180640.jpg

IMG_20110923_190704.jpg

plumbed the faucet and drain as well as gas to the stove (with cool lense flare)
IMG_20110924_120938.jpg

And I started skinning the interior with leftover bead board (free). I discovered on the drive to the new house that the screws holding the box to the frame aren't going to cut it, so I bought 30 1/4" carriage bolts to attach it. Next on the list is finishing the interior, wiring, reinforcing the bunks a little, bolting down the box, redoing my well-intentioned-but-ill-thought-out shock mounts, oh and waterproofing the whole thing. I don't want to skin the exterior, so I'm thinking of epoxy and paint.

Then I get to build my Cherokee.

Then I'm not starting anymore projects... for the rest of the year.

Dr. Jones

Observer
I'm almost done with the interior (for now). It needs paint, a little more trim, and more wiring.
Corner cabinet
IMG_20111008_134311.jpg

bench complete with 12v outlet
IMG_20111008_145800.jpg

two tone galley - bead board and wood veneer... yeah, I'll figure something out.
IMG_20111008_145812.jpg

I'm planning on painting the interior plywood something besides white, but not sure what color yet.

Dr. Jones

Observer
Well... bad news for me. We've run across hard times, and not only can I not finish the trailer; I have to get rid of it. Anyone on here interested in a 75%-80% complete project, cheap? I'll get some pics of how it sits now as soon as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior