An Axe - Seriously?

libarata

Expedition Leader
I can't stand stainless steel, and trying to sharpen it. I suppose it would be better than nothing, but a hatchet, and a multi-tool would cost less.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Just saw this on my "Blade Newsletter". Not sure what to make of it, but I wouldn't mind trying it out. Has anybody else seen or tried it out?

Klax Lumberjack
http://www.kleckerknives.com/klax-lumberjack/

A beautiful piece of design, but I think that's pretty much all it is. I would not trust that little thumb screw with any sort of impact load or with the prying action to get the thing out of the match stick you swung it into. For $160, you could buy one hell of a nice ax and a Swiss army knife, have money left over, and have tools that are much more useful and robust than that one is. I'm all for multi-function things, but I'll pass on that one.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
A beautiful piece of design, but I think that's pretty much all it is. I would not trust that little thumb screw with any sort of impact load or with the prying action to get the thing out of the match stick you swung it into. For $160, you could buy one hell of a nice ax and a Swiss army knife, have money left over, and have tools that are much more useful and robust than that one is. I'm all for multi-function things, but I'll pass on that one.

I though the same thing about the thumb screw at first, until I realized that there is actually very little load being placed on the forward clamp. The majority of it will be placed on the back clamp when you're pulling the ax out of the cut. For that, the way the clamps are engineered I feel would handle the load, so long as you're not burying the head several inches into a log at least. As a light emergency ax for a survival kit or for a light camping kit, I feel it actually works well, depending on the temper of the steel of course. Keep in mind, its more for back packing than vehicle camping, where you have much more freedom when it comes to how much gear you can bring along. I do think the wrench and ruler features are a bit much, but otherwise, I can't really find any engineering fault in the design. Would I WANT to build a log cabin with one? No. Could I? Probably.

peneumbra

Explorer
I'll tell ya what ya need one a them fancy Svedish axes for, that's to cut up the lutefisk when it freezes, ya betcha! --

Yon Yonsson

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Just saw this on my "Blade Newsletter". Not sure what to make of it, but I wouldn't mind trying it out. Has anybody else seen or tried it out?

Klax Lumberjack
http://www.kleckerknives.com/klax-lumberjack/
KLAX_03_Side__71537.1405462427.1280.1280.jpg

I wouldn't trust that to pound in tent stakes.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
I carry a pulaski. The hoe is much better than a shovel at moving earth fast, and I've used the axe blade to build improvised bridging ladders to get myself out of a ditch. It's a super handy tool, and I never hit dirt without it.

I carry a small shovel and a collapsible bowsaw too. The shovel mostly puts out campfires and digs potty holes. I've never used the bowsaw for anything but firewood.

Whtshos

Observer
I have also slid over to a Pulaski in the last couple years. Not as easy to stow as an axe, but I have found it more useful.
An E-tool has always been in the Black Box.

irish_11

Explorer
Make that three for the Pulaski. I received a new Council Tool Pulaski for Christmas and love it. I had borrowed one in the past and wanted one of my own. It is a pain to store compared to just an axe, but its use far outweighs the inconvenience. The Pulaski also has a great/tragic history for both the tool and its namesake.

verdesardog

Explorer
WOW those are some pricey tools. I bet none of them would work as well as a real one piece tool.

I have two hatchets in my truck, plus a couple of military folding shovel/pic combos, get everyone digging when you get stuck...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke