I Think I Need Better Rear Springs

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
Original springs, 97,000 miles, KTM 525 :sombrero:

IMG_20110403_070712.jpg

Owyhee H

Adventurer
That is a very common problem with the first gen 4runner. There are several solutions. I had a local company re-arch and add a leaf to my existing spring pack. You could have a custom spring pack made by deaver, alcan, or other.

If you are interested in lifting the old girl then you can get OME Dakars, and then have to match the front end with torsion bar crank and ball joint spacers.

Either way if you want to carry the bike on the rear often then you must get stiffer springs. The stock springs were the same as the pickup of the same generation, so were prone to sagging from the extra weight back there.

Good luck and nice Runner

zoblo

Observer
toyota add-a-leaf

I have a 1992 Toyota pickup and it had the same problem. About 8 years ago, I installed an Add-A-Leaf kit from Rancho, part no. RAN 60622 plus U-Bolt Kit RAN 737. There were two leafs added to each spring pack. It wasn't too difficult to install. It made a world of difference. It raised the back end 2" and didn't affect the ride. Nice now not having the back end drag on ledges etc..

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I added Pro-Comp add-a-leaves to my '85--it did the trick and didn't affect the ride much at all. They're single leaves that go just above the overload leaf in the pack. Very budget-oriented, simple and effective and installation isn't bad for a beginner wrench monkey like me.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...c=1&t_s=399&t_pt=5488&t_pl=1853&t_pn=EXP13120

I think I did have to pick up some longer U-bolts--I couldn't quite get the nuts on the original ones. I probably didn't have the center pin bolt tight enough though.

The 4runner fender cuts are quite a bit higher in the front, so even brand new, the stance is not much different than yours in the pic. That bike is pulling up the front a bit though, it appears.

X2--really nice 4runner. If you want to really freshen up the look, sand and wash the wheels, mask off the lug nuts, valve stems & hubs and fog the wheels with some Rustoleum aluminum metallic or chrome finish spray paint, using some paper between the rim and tire to keep it off the rubber. I did that on Dad's '84 Tercel--made it look like it was right from the showroom again.

I found this cutout from a 1985 National Geographic (I wish I'd taken better care of it and not stuffed it in my backpack to show off at school). You can see the original high-nose stance, inspired from the baja pre-runners with the high-cut front fenders to accommodate the front wheel travel. 4Runner means "pre-runner with 4wd". If you want to stay true to the 4runner heritage, keep the back end lowwww.

img021.jpg

Eric

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Get yourself some OME Dakars and never look back...
PICT0613-ReSize.jpg

I went from this:
PICT0603-ReSize.jpg

To this: (except now I have 33X10.50's WOOT!!!)
P1010085-Resize.jpg

...in about 2 hours of work... I LOVE my OME springs.

Nice lookin rig mate. Now go get some new springs and get her back to her former glory.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
I've been going back and forth between the Dakars' and add-a-leaves. I haven't found anything really bad about either.

The add-a-leaves are cheaper, but the Dakar's give me new springs instead of relying on old ones.

On the other hand, without the camping gear, motorcycle gear, and the motorcycle and rack, the stance looks like the advertisements.

I won't be taking the bike that often, and I want to replace the hard top with a soft top, which will lighten the load.

The ideal solution would be to bag it. But that would cost more than I have in the whole rig.

My brain hurts :confused:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Something to think about: Add-a-leaves can work just FINE, BUT, they still rely on the old springs to be their main support. What CAN and often DOES end up happening is that the old fatigued main leaves bend down over the ends of the add-a-leaf and then you're REALLY in a bind. Broken leaf-springs are a PITA espescialy if you've got as load on the truck and you're trying to get home after a weekend of playing (wich is when I find MY problems occur most often... godd old Murphy, damn optimist ;) )

Anyway, let us know what you end up doing. I still vote OME's but hey it's your wallet and not only do I not know what shape it's in, I've got no say over how you use it eh. I will say that you have a sweet truck (there is something inherently GREAT about 1st Gen 4Runners and to me the driving experience, while slow, is SO enjoyable in a way that very few other vehicles -espescialy new ones- can compare to.)

Cheers

Dave

GabAlmighty

Observer
I found this cutout from a 1985 National Geographic (I wish I'd taken better care of it and not stuffed it in my backpack to show off at school). You can see the original high-nose stance, inspired from the baja pre-runners with the high-cut front fenders to accommodate the front wheel travel. 4Runner means "pre-runner with 4wd". If you want to stay true to the 4runner heritage, keep the back end lowwww.

Wow, that's really cool. Always nice to learn something new, thanks!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Surely. Toyota abandoned the pre-runner stance with the 3rd generation in '96--too many people probably mistook it for butt-dragging and the perception of poor load-carrying ability.

Prerunners are traditionally 2-wheel drive, modified trucks or buggies with lots of front suspension travel capable of test-running the Baja racing routes at high speeds before the race to see if any track modifications are needed.

Here's a modern one:
pic06.jpg

Here's a more vintage one:
Hawthorne-09-1.jpg

Here's the first one--no fenders at all, and it doesn't appear to have much suspension travel either!
Off-Road+1+Hunt+Special+1910+2010+100+Years+of+Off+Road+1.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles