convert Cummins tow truck to camper?

arlon

Adventurer
We sold our 5th wheel because it was just too limiting on where we could go. I still have the truck (Dodge 2500 quad 2wd) and would love to make a semi comfortable weekender out of it.

No plans to go on safari with it, just some extended weekends mostly to places with facilities but the ability to stop anywhere for the night would be great.

Looked at smaller camp trailers and decided I really don't want to tow anything. That leaves the bed but there is a 45 gallon fuel tank in the bed and I don't want to give up my 1600 mile cruising range.

I have a fiberglass toneau cover that I've been considering reinforcing and trying a roof top tent on. Maybe there are some other ideas someone might have for this truck..

03 cummins, 2wd, quad cab, short bed with extra fuel tank in the bed, air bags, 24mpg cruise..

wants:
room for two to sleep (memory foam mattress)
onboard potty
space to at least sit upright and read on a rainy day.
Small AC/heater would be a huge bonus (live in West Texas).
Truck is usually my daily driver but I have an Xterra too..

arlon

Adventurer
That's pretty neat. Looks like all I'd need to add would be a fuel tank inlet. Light enough it probably wouldn't hurt mileage too much either.

After looking at the flippac a little more it seems like a really expensive roof top tent. I could buy 3 roof top tents for the price of the flippac. Might consider a platform on the bed especially if I could find a way to make an rtt work on my xterra too. I ran across a lot of nice tents when I googled flippac.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles