Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

commtrd

I typically run 700 miles a week up to job and back home plus use truck for fishing and hunting trips so lots of miles. Looks like better fuel mileage with the 33s as compared to stock 265-70-17 size. I have to manually calculate on a plumb full tank with mileage correction since the speedo is not calibrated for the larger tires. So if I don't lose any mpg let alone gain that will be a nice bonus there.

Globatrol

Observer
Time will tell!

I've had 2 sets of the old STT's and now have a set of the ST MAXX's fitted! I was really happy with the STT's but Have to say that I'm not really sure what to think of the STT MAXX's at the moment. Between My Nissan Patrol and my friends Land Cruiser we have 12 of these tires and so far we have had 3 failures - unexplainable splits appearing and spreading rapidly! Absolute failure guaranteed with this type of split..

To Coopers credit they have replaced the first 2 and we are in discussions regarding the third.

All three tires split in the same location on the casing! All three failed between 10 000 and 20 000 km after installation.

I had to replace 1 in Moscow which wasn't the easiest task. the other tires on my vehicle seem to be going ok - so far so good!

I'm a long from Australia where I originally purchased them and at this stage I'm not sure if the manufacturer will be able to offer any suggestions as I'm not in the country where they were purchased!

We are in the UK at the moment waiting out the winter, as we are heading back to Europe and hopefully a stint in Morocco before heading toward the US and South America over the next couple of years, I'm considering changing over to BFG's whilst I'm here! Don't need the added stress of chasing after tires in Morocco or other such places if I have any more fail!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar failures!

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

They have been exposed to some fairly hard work but nothing beyond what my previous Coopers have had to contend with, and not a lot of rough gibber stone driving which is what I would expect in Australia - that can be hard on sidewalls.

Overall I'm very happy with the tire wear but unexpected sidewall failure is not acceptable, I hope they can sort it out if its a manufacturing fault.

Cooper have been a great and reliable tire for a long time, maybe we just got a bad batch! But you have to have confidence in your wheels..

cheers - Justin - www.globatrol.com

commtrd

Hmmm not very reassuring. I have a little under a thousand miles on these so too early to tell but no problems yet.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
That is the first I have seen anything like that. It is probably just a bad batch I would guess.

You say all three tires split in the exact same location? Was the inner sections also compromised or just the outer casing?

faulco

Observer
I've had 2 sets of the old STT's and now have a set of the ST MAXX's fitted! I was really happy with the STT's but Have to say that I'm not really sure what to think of the STT MAXX's at the moment. Between My Nissan Patrol and my friends Land Cruiser we have 12 of these tires and so far we have had 3 failures - unexplainable splits appearing and spreading rapidly! Absolute failure guaranteed with this type of split..

To Coopers credit they have replaced the first 2 and we are in discussions regarding the third.

All three tires split in the same location on the casing! All three failed between 10 000 and 20 000 km after installation.

I had to replace 1 in Moscow which wasn't the easiest task. the other tires on my vehicle seem to be going ok - so far so good!

I'm a long from Australia where I originally purchased them and at this stage I'm not sure if the manufacturer will be able to offer any suggestions as I'm not in the country where they were purchased!

We are in the UK at the moment waiting out the winter, as we are heading back to Europe and hopefully a stint in Morocco before heading toward the US and South America over the next couple of years, I'm considering changing over to BFG's whilst I'm here! Don't need the added stress of chasing after tires in Morocco or other such places if I have any more fail!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar failures!

View attachment 264607

View attachment 264608

View attachment 264609

View attachment 264610

They have been exposed to some fairly hard work but nothing beyond what my previous Coopers have had to contend with, and not a lot of rough gibber stone driving which is what I would expect in Australia - that can be hard on sidewalls.

Overall I'm very happy with the tire wear but unexpected sidewall failure is not acceptable, I hope they can sort it out if its a manufacturing fault.

Cooper have been a great and reliable tire for a long time, maybe we just got a bad batch! But you have to have confidence in your wheels..

cheers - Justin - www.globatrol.com
Where are you in the UK? It's where I hail from, would love to see your patrol. I have stt's at the minute and am sick of replacing them considered the st maxx but kinda went off cooper. Still looking tho and they do seem to have very good reports so far.
What are they like on fuel economy compared to the stt ?

Globatrol

Observer
Coopers..

Hi Faulco, sent you a private message regarding our location..

I think the ST MAXX is a much nicer tire than the STT, nicer handling, quieter and much better wear! I never achieved a lot of miles out of the STT's which sounds similar to what you've said! They were great in the bush of course.. I like the armortek sidewall and that was why I originally went for the STT so when the MAXX's came out with the same technology I went for them instead..

I'll see what happens when Cooper come back to me regarding the one that has the split in the photo's, that will make the decision for me as to whether I stick with cooper or maybe try and get a set of the new BFG's, or the Duratrac! I don't know!!

cheers - Justin.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Hi Faulco, sent you a private message regarding our location..

I think the ST MAXX is a much nicer tire than the STT, nicer handling, quieter and much better wear! I never achieved a lot of miles out of the STT's which sounds similar to what you've said! They were great in the bush of course.. I like the armortek sidewall and that was why I originally went for the STT so when the MAXX's came out with the same technology I went for them instead..

I'll see what happens when Cooper come back to me regarding the one that has the split in the photo's, that will make the decision for me as to whether I stick with cooper or maybe try and get a set of the new BFG's, or the Duratrac! I don't know!!

cheers - Justin.

Run far away from duratracs. Their sidewalls are worse than the coopers by a long shot. That why I went to cooper when I bought mine. I wanted an intermediate tire and I was going back and forth between the GY and Cooper. The cooper won out because of the sidewall. I have read and saw many Duratrac **** the bed.

Globatrol

Observer
Thanks for the warning, My vehicle is pretty heavy too so it doesn't sound like the Duratrac's will like that either..

I've never had them so it's nice to hear from someone that has!

cheers..

commtrd

Run far away from duratracs. Their sidewalls are worse than the coopers by a long shot. That why I went to cooper when I bought mine. I wanted an intermediate tire and I was going back and forth between the GY and Cooper. The cooper won out because of the sidewall. I have read and saw many Duratrac **** the bed.

I tried a set of DuraTacs on my 3/4 ton dodge 2500 and it felt like I was driving a boat around. I took those tires off before two weeks was up. They are likely good tires for a very light jeep or Tacoma but for a heavy diesel pickup didn't feel safe with those tires on my truck. Killed my fuel mileage too. 285-70-17 size.

rubberduck

Observer
Just over 59k on my diesel excursion. They were done, but I was really pleased with the wear. I actually kept up with rotations and it worked. I ended up getting another set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silverEx

Picked up a set last fall in what seems like a fairly uncommon size (LT 255/75/17) because I could get them in LR C (LR E is overkill for my tacoma). I have nothing but good things to say about them so far (roughly 5k miles). They are very quiet for the tread pattern, and traction has been excellent in gravel, southern clay (within reason), and even northern snow. I can't say they are as good as a dedicated snow tire in winter, but they have (so far) more than held their own during cautious snow driving.

Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
Yes, They are heavier than the website says. No matter what size you use. My 285s weighed a crap load. I put E load BFG ATs on and you could really tell the difference in weight of the tires.

So the BFG is a lot lighter? Which BFGs, the new AT or the old one?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
So the BFG is a lot lighter? Which BFGs, the new AT or the old one?
Yes the cooper are heavier than the old BFG AT KO's. I notice a big difference when I switched. Also, the sidewalls of the Coopers are insanely stiff compared to the BFGs which are compliant for the jeep and provide a great ride, and handling.

silverEx

Not uncommon at all. That is the stock size for 2007+ Jeep Rubicons. Its a great size tire though.
I meant uncommon for tacoma folks (should have clarified that), everyone seems to go with 265/70/17 or bump up to 255/80/17 or 285's. But you're totally right, lots of rubi take-offs out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles