Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I spoke with the engineers who designed the ST Maxx, the ST, and the AT3/ATP and learned a bunch about the construction. The AT3/ATP is fine for general use and off roading, but I don't think I would want it for cross country use. The STT I think was too aggressive for me.

The STT and ST Maxx share the same carcass. The triple sidewall uses 2 straight belts and 1 angled. More resistant to punctures that other tires that use 3 plies straight across. Also, the thickness of the plies is important. The 2 straight plies are 1500 denier and the 3 angled ply is 1000 denier. For example the BFG KM2 has 3 plies all 1000 denier. But of course the KM2 is an off road tire and the ST Maxx is a heavier duty commercial traction tire.

Surely it was satisfying to speak with a tire designer/engineer. Years ago while debating choosing the ******** Cepek FC-II or the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-rib (both Cooper brands and both treads now superseded). One of my take-aways was that the ******** Cepek tire had more, better "seagull-shaped” sipes in every tread block, as does its replacement the current Fun Country.

Anyways, 265/75-16 size which I have is listed at 58 lbs. There are really no other tires like it. I hate to sound like a Cooper fan boy, but after months of research, I kept coming back to the ST Maxx.

Personally, I want to minimize any chance of tire destruction. My disability would make tire changes in the bush much more difficult than able bodied folks, thus I wanted the toughest tire I could find. I wasn't concerned about weight due to the sheer size of VanDOOM.

Nothing wrong with being a Cooper fan boy, they make many good tires under a few brands. There's a good chance I'll buy a set of Mastercraft (Cooper) tires next month because I like the tread.

Your reasons are important, stick with your research and decision. Not to unnecessarily complicate your process, but I'm pretty sure the ******** Cepek Fun Country and Mickey Thompson P3 use the same carcass/construction as the S/T MAXX. However, I'd guess that those two treads would be both more expensive and harder to locate, so the S/T MAXX again likely wins.

I understand people wanting a lighter weight tire, but in the end, I will take tough durability over lighter weight. The main reason the STT is lighter than the ST Maxx is due to slightly less rubber and larger voids.

The S/T MAXX is a great choice for your application, and application and personal preference matters. I have an old post on my blog arguing in favor of a more flexible, lighter load-range-D tire over a LR E, however, this is very application specific. I still prefer a LR D (hard to locate) on my V8 4Runner, but a stiffer, less flexible LR E makes more sense on my heavily-loaded pickups these days that are hauling slide-in campers.

James

java

Expedition Leader
Surely it was satisfying to speak with a tire designer/engineer. Years ago while debating choosing the ******** Cepek FC-II or the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-rib (both Cooper brands and both treads now superseded). One of my take-aways was that the ******** Cepek tire had more, better "seagull-shaped” sipes in every tread block, as does its replacement the current Fun Country.

Nothing wrong with being a Cooper fan boy, they make many good tires under a few brands. There's a good chance I'll buy a set of Mastercraft (Cooper) tires next month because I like the tread.

Your reasons are important, stick with your research and decision. Not to unnecessarily complicate your process, but I'm pretty sure the ******** Cepek Fun Country and Mickey Thompson P3 use the same carcass/construction as the S/T MAXX. However, I'd guess that those two treads would be both more expensive and harder to locate, so the S/T MAXX again likely wins.

The S/T MAXX is a great choice for your application, and application and personal preference matters. I have an old post on my blog arguing in favor of a more flexible, lighter load-range-D tire over a LR E, however, this is very application specific. I still prefer a LR D (hard to locate) on my V8 4Runner, but a stiffer, less flexible LR E makes more sense on my heavily-loaded pickups these days that are hauling slide-in campers.

James

James, Are you looking at the Mastercraft CT or AXT? Id be interested in your opinion on them.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
James, Are you looking at the Mastercraft CT or AXT? Id be interested in your opinion on them.

Not to start a conversation about different tread in this S/T MAXX thread, but I'll try to keep it related and short...

Looking at the C/T, which offers a similar void ratio to the S/T MAXX but is available from Les Schwab. I've been studying the C/T for seveal weeks, but have yet to see them in person. My local store doesn't stock them so I'll have them order a set if I go that route.

Love the S/T MAXX, and they are less expensive than the C/T at Les Schwab, but I want to trade-in several take-off tires at Schwab as well as continue to establish a relationship with a new local LS store.

James

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Well, I guess I'm a convert as i just ordered a full set of these. Discount Tire Direct on Ebay is running a special right now where you get $100 off of purchases over $400. You can use the discount code up to 3 times. So I ordered a pair in 265/75-16 for $402 minus $100 = $302. Then I ordered another pair. Total for all for = $604. Pretty darned good, especially with free shipping. I have a local guy who will mount/balance them for $10 each. Decided to order some new wheels on the same deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310901803672?item=310901803672&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Well, I guess I'm a convert as i just ordered a full set of these. Discount Tire Direct on Ebay is running a special right now where you get $100 off of purchases over $400. You can use the discount code up to 3 times. So I ordered a pair in 265/75-16 for $402 minus $100 = $302. Then I ordered another pair. Total for all for = $604. Pretty darned good, especially with free shipping. I have a local guy who will mount/balance them for $10 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310901803672?item=310901803672&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Just talked Discount Tire Direct (they called to confirm the accuracy of my order). Even though I bought tires/wheels separately, they still consider it a tire/wheel combo purchase and will mount and balance them for free before shipping them to me. I didn't expect that, so kudos to them. Hope to have them by Wednesday or Thursday.

java

Expedition Leader
Nice! Except they dont have the 255's on the ebay store. They do have duratracs tho.....

gwittman

Adventurer
Sock Puppet, Thanks for the heads up on the special deal from Discount Tire Direct. I just got a great deal on some 33" BFG KM2s. I have been looking around and could not find anything near this deal.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Sock Puppet, Thanks for the heads up on the special deal from Discount Tire Direct. I just got a great deal on some 33" BFG KM2s. I have been looking around and could not find anything near this deal.

No problem. I thought the same thing when I found it. Looks like you're going to have to change your sig now....

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
The Discount Tire Direct Ebay site had a similar sale in March. My local Discount Tire/America's Tire matched the online price. I was able to get a set of 4 LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx for $160 each (plus mounting, balance, tax, etc)

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Just finished reading nearly every post.

I think I've found my new tires, now to locate them in 315/75R16. Thanks for all the input.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well I joined the Maxx club today. I should have done this back in late Spring when my tire guy could get a better deal on them but what is...is. So we mounted up a set of 285/16/75 on the 16x8 inch rims and slapped them on my Tundra.

Its been almost three years since I mounted up my first set of ST Maxxs on my Tundra and after 51,000 miles of work and fun I just put a new set on the truck. These treads have earned their place as my go to tire.

Applejack

Explorer
I wish I could say that I'm loving my ST Maxx's, but I'm not. What I like about them is not worrying about slashes or punctures, and that goes a long ways, but it isn't everything. I do get better mileage with them (surprisingly) than my Duratracs but they just don't have the traction that the Duratracs do, at least not in the terrain I travel. Putting my boat in the water requires 4wd to get out, not so with the DT's. They pack up with mud (we have some horrible clay mud)almost immediately, I was really shocked at how poor their mud performance was. No tire except for swampers do well in it, but still I was Very disappointed. I will give them a whirl this winter, hopefully they can redeem themselves but I'm not feeling it.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I wish I could say that I'm loving my ST Maxx's, but I'm not.

Shocker said:
Wow, that is the exact opposite of every test I have ever read on the ST Maxx.

I haven't read many negative reviews either, but everyone has their own subjective experiences. We also have different vehicles and drive in different conditions. That being said, I'm only 2 hours or so away from Applejack and probably drive in some of the same conditions, yet I have nothing but positive things to say about the ST/Maxx tires on my Xterra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online