Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This thing went through the tread on my Cooper STTs on my Power Wagon once and gave me the fastest flat ever.

6EE5B4A8_zpsd2cd65be.jpg

F7FA787F_zps9b2308e5.jpg

Like a perfect storm, a perfect angle has dire consequences....

Fargo

Adventurer
I had a stick do a similar puncture on some Goodyears GSAs that my previous Jeep had from factory. They were load range B tires though. I vowed after that to never run a week tire again. But in hind sight, I think any tire could get damaged when something hits it just right.

tommudd

Explorer
Back when I managed tire shops it was amazing what all we found inside or stuck in tires. Made no difference in the type of tire or ply rating . Everything from horseshoes, 1/2 inch wrench, screwdrivers, various bones, sticks, screws, nails, end of broom handle and the list went on and on.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
DTD is running a promo with eBay right now, they've got a code in their eBay store giving something like $100 off for $400 spent ... if you can find this tire in the size you like, listed, I'd try for that. I think it runs through the end of the month.
Shoot, I don't see that promo there now. I would pull the trigger right now if that discount was in force.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was on I-15 south and picked up a metal shard. The tire went flat in seconds and in the time it took to reach the shoulder, the Toyo MT was shredded inside. Tire had 11K on it so I had to buy two. $600 day.
AAA tow truck guy bailed me out. Those guys are warriors. I tipped him well.

Glenn-BJ74

Been following this thread with great interest.

I'm considering buying a set of 255/85R16 ST Maxx and am wondering if owners of this size (or 255/80R17 - same specs), could provide me with some real world 'on the vehicle' measurements:
1) Actual tread width in contact with the ground.
2) Tire height on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

richard310

pew pew
Had a new set of 265/75-16's installed on the Xterra. The great feeling of new rubber is awesome. We'll see how they perform in Death Valley this weekend.

gregnash

Looking to pick these up soon for my 85 FJ60. DTD is running a promo right now that is $40 off web only purchase, called my local DT and they said they would price match. Not much but every little bit counts I guess. Really debating on these or the A/T3 as I only do about 30% offroad driving. Don't want to be like everyone else and get BFG A/Ts and really really like the look of the S/T Maxx.

jpat30

Adventurer
Richard, when you get a chance can you throw a tape on those 265s. I would love to know how they measure out. Thanks.

mires

Adventurer
How many of you are running the 235/85/16? I am considering trying them as my next tire on my Montero Sport. Would love to see pics and hear your thoughts on them.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Does anyone have issues with the tires wanting to pull right even with correct alignment. I have this issue on my 80 series and my friend on his Camper Van. Rotating of the tires makes no difference.

Abnengr

I just put a set on my 99 F250 and have the same issue of pulling right. Alignment was good before getting the new tires. I have added some air to the right front and that helped but there is still a slight pull. It's not terrible but just enough to notice.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've not tried these treads on a live-axle truck yet, but I can envision where there would not be enough adjustment to make them go straight. There is not much caster adjustment on most live-axle trucks.

On my 4Runner, the alignment was adjusted to have a 2-degrees more caster on the right (lots), to make them drive straight on the car. It drives perfectly now. For comparison, I've had challenges getting Toyo M/T tires to drive straight regardless of how much cross caster was added (more than 2*).

java

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, I don't like the sound of that, my UCA's are maxed for caster adjustment and im not quite even to factory spec....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles