Soft Shackle

bribassguy

Observer
Any one running soft (rope) shackles? I see them a lot more on sailing rigs now but not so much on the trails.

8357_1.JPG

8236_1.JPG

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It is an interesting concept. Since the end of Viking's tree saver is a loop of synthetic rope I don't see why they could not work in certain situations for trail recovery.

There are obvious limitations, but it sure would be easy to stuff 10 of these in a recovery kit. I'm sure if Viking made these, I'd pick up a couple just to play with.

opie

Explorer
Ive been making them for awhile. I had one certified so I could get some hard numbers on the derate of the line due to the knot. I can make them from just about any size, but the most popular is 3/8 and 7/16 with the latter carrying a 8200 WLL based on a 4:1.

The down side to them is they need a nice radius at the attachment points. Around the eyes of a tree saver is fine, but you can not hook one directly to a weld on recovery point, the ones designed for a D shackle, without severely degrading the strength or running the risk of it breaking prematurely.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
You have not dissuaded me from thinking these could be handy. Especially considering their negligible volume regarding space in a recovery kit. You should post up some pics and pricing on your site for these.

opie

Explorer
You have not dissuaded me from thinking these could be handy. Especially considering their negligible volume regarding space in a recovery kit. You should post up some pics and pricing on your site for these.

No doubt they are handy. They are light, strong, can be formed around odd shaped objects and in the event something breaks, wont come back at you etc. But its the downside I believe is very important to convey. Rope degradation is a very important factor and sharp radius bends, or sharp edges are the death of rope. Especially when you start loading one up.

I purposefully dont have the pricing up so there has to be some contact with me so that I can convey what these can and can not be used for. I would hate to sell something to someone only to have them use it incorrectly and get hurt. And they can be made in any length...

I do have a video on youtube showing the operation...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8ZWRpUNPU"]YouTube - Amsteel Blue Rope Shackle operation[/ame]

Last edited:

bribassguy

Observer
I have never been convinced of the "Safety Thimble" train of thought... I would rather LESS metal flying at me when a line breaks.

My thought would be to run these between a winch line with tube thimble and tree saver in single pull recoveries or a connection between line and extension. I would think abything with a smooth radius of about 3/4" or more would be fine. I would still use anchor shackles to connect to hard point on the truck.

Can you link me (or PM) me info to your site? Most of the sailing ones I've seen 11/32" with WLL 5700 @ 5:1 and are proof tested to 2x WLL

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have been able to play with some of these and can honestly say they are great. You can carry many of these with zero concerns of space or weight. They cannot replace rigid steel shackles, but are indeed a great complement.

LR Max

Local Oaf
There have been some "concerns" on strength. A previous test with 8mm rope (whatever that comes out to in English) broke at 26,000lbf. To some, that is plenty. To some, that isn't enough.

I think they are handy. Last year I had a situation where I had to use a hook to get an Infinity QX4 off some ice since the stock recovery point couldn't take a normal D-ring. Something like this would've allowed me to use my nice baller tow strap and not wonder if the hook on the end of the wal-mart special was going to let lose and bonk my noodle.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
LR Max,

Isn't 26000lb stronger than normal 3/8" rope's break strength? As long as the soft shackle is stronger than my rope, I'm not going to worry.

opie

Explorer
Yes, 26,000 is about 9000 pounds over 3/8 minimum rating.

The reason you get more strength out of one over a single line rating is the same reason you split the load setting up a block. You are splitting the load in half.

According to the test and certification I had done on a 7/16 shackle, the knot degrades the strength of the line by 30%. But since you have two legs, if you multiply the minimum strength by 1.7, you'll get a safe rating for the shackle. Diameter makes no difference on the 30% degradation.

Sent from my phone.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Some on the market have a less than 1.5:1 design factor (for reference, ARB screw pin shackles are minimum 3:1)
Opie, glad to see yours have a 4:1 design factor. Also glad you mention the need for a large radius bend (relative to the rope diameter) to maintain the strength. Something a lot of people seem to not understand.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Synthetic breaks way too easy for me to trust these things. It's really weak when folded or knotted. Don't believe? Tie a knot in a piece and pull it utill it breaks. It breaks easy. It's plastic and it's not strong when tied or folded. If you have to do it then tension it real slow over a minute or two so the heat friction does not make it even softer.

paranoid56

Adventurer
Synthetic breaks way too easy for me to trust these things. It's really weak when folded or knotted. Don't believe? Tie a knot in a piece and pull it utill it breaks. It breaks easy. It's plastic and it's not strong when tied or folded. If you have to do it then tension it real slow over a minute or two so the heat friction does not make it even softer.
same goes for wire rope. the key is to know when its the right tool for the application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior