'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

ExpoMike

3rd gen dodge wheels are 6.13" backspacing for the aluminum versions
H2 wheel are 5.5" backspacing

Okay, got those mixed up. Still center bores are wrong. :(

I am going to look at the spare wheel and see what has to be removed... :snorkel:

blakeape

Adventurer
Nice truck, looks a lot cleaner than my 97. Auto or Stick and what gears does it have. Mine is a 5spd with 4.10 gears and my mileage went up with bigger tires because the truck is turning lower RPMs, I'm on 37's now. You probably have 3.55's which are great with 285's, 305's and even 315's. I have a custom fuel plate, 4 inch exhaust, South Bend clutch and a couple gauges. The truck runs well, pulls awesome and still gets 17mpg on the highway if I drive below 70. A few basic and relatively cheap engine mods go a long way. Definitely take care of that KDP too.

O2Bob

Observer
Had a '95 with same setup, great truck very reliable but always upgrade/add a front end frame/steering brace. Also upgrade the rear drum brake piston to the dually piston, make a BIG difference when stopping a loaded truck.

-R

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks for the props guys. After reading things here, I think I will go with 285's most likely.

As for the H2 wheels, they are part of the package with selling the M1010. Other two problems is, the center bore is larger on a Dodge then Chevy so you have to grind out the centers on the wheels. Also the offset is way wrong for pre-'03 Rams. No doubt they would look cool but just not going to fix... if I was keeping them.
Nice score. being a 97,you're exempt from the smog madness in Ca for diesels.

Pablo Madrid and Joe@ www.ntgracing.com in Santee will take care of anything you're not comfortable with servicing/repairing. Pablo's a wizard with the 12v's. A popup and a Carli suspension upgrade will enhance a great find.:sombrero:

ExpoMike

Nice score. being a 97,you're exempt from the smog madness in Ca for diesels.

Pablo Madrid and Joe@ www.ntgracing.com in Santee will take care of anything you're not comfortable with servicing/repairing. Pablo's a wizard with the 12v's. A popup and a Carli suspension upgrade will enhance a great find.:sombrero:

Cool, good info. Funny you should mention Carli suspension... it's one of the tabs I have open in my browser. Very likley what I am going with but still researching before deciding. Oh and yes, '97 was my cut off year so no smog nazis for me!!! :victory:

To others that asked, it's an auto with I believe 3.55 gears.

Also am looking at the steering brace kits too.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Congratulations. Looks to be the same truck as mine. Altho I have a 5spd.
IMG_2118.jpg

For cummins/ram specific information

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

I also bought my truck at 144k. At that mileage my steering gear was getting pretty tired. I rebuilt it at 180k I think.

The 3rd gen track bar conversion was the best mod I made to the truck. However I also added a AGR steering sector and the frame/steering brace which helped as well.

I got mine here
http://www.solidsteel.biz/

Enjoy your truck I know I love mine.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I have missed my 2003 Cummins ever since I sold it last year. After a trip to Gatlinburg pulling my camper this last week with my Suburban, it is on it's way out and will be getting another Cummins ASAP!!! :jumping:

ExpoMike

Thanks for the links. I am actually on them already. :D

As for lockers, I am not sure what I will put in if anything more than the LSD which it has already. So far my Cherokee has a rear LSD and open front and it has not stopped me yet, even with the Kamparoo in tow. Picking good lines and tire placement seems to work well but if anything, its likely to be a Detroit in the rear.

ExpoMike

Well... we really did it today. We were scheduled to drive up to Redding to check out a Four Wheel Camper, Grandby model, later this week. Then I found one in Modesto that we would check out on the way up. As it happened to be, one popped up in Mission Hills which was about 100 miles away versus 600+. It had the extended cab over that I really wanted and the hot water heater with outside shower that the wife really wanted. It basically had ever option, other than the back flood lights, that I would have configured had I had one built for us. It's a 2004 model in really good shape. We are very happy with the find and it fits the truck perfect.

Well as everyone wants to see... here are the pictures having just got home with it. Enjoy!

Sweet... and yes, jacks will come off once I get everything setup in the bed and not need to remove it.
PICT6084.jpg

PICT6085.jpg

PICT6086.jpg

PICT6087.jpg

In the brotherhood. :D
PICT6088.jpg

Awning
PICT6089.jpg

I'll get some pics popped up and the inside this weekend. <doing the happy dance>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior