Truck camper camping question

tuktu

For all those who sometimes use a paid camp ground/RV park. Has it ever been an issue to unload your camper at your camp site and drive off to go explore the area. Is this generally a non issue or do some places not allow it.

Thanks

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We unload our camper frequently when we are staying in one spot for more than a couple days, and/or if there is a good reason why we need to go somewhere with the truck. With electric jacks it's a 5 minute process to unload, and maybe 10-15 to load. We've stayed all kinds of different places and never had an issue.

For us, this is one of the great benefits of a camper over a trailer or fifth wheel. You get the benefit of being able to leave it at your campsite, without the drawbacks of driving with a trailer. of course, it's smaller, but for the two of us that's not been an issue.

I've posted this elsewhere, but here's a photo of our "cabin" at Natural Bridges NM:

533129278_xHLRr-M.jpg

INSAYN

Adventurer
Out here in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho I have never had an issue dropping the camper. I usually do this if I am staying more than 3 days, and have something to do in the area like transporting my kayaks to and from water bodies, or just sight seeing.

State, and County Parks seem to be the most user friendly for us TC owners. However, privately owned campgrounds can be feisty and may quote you made up laws that refer to the "dangers" of unloaded truck campers in the event of a fire. Just cross your eyes at them and tell them you will spend your money elsewhere, maybe even Wal*Mart before bothering to patron their park.

dzzz

I can't unload my camper, but I've noticed a few RV parks that don't allow it.

Shouldn't be a problem if you check ahead.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Dont drop it in Phoenix area RV parks. In fact, most wont even let it in! KOA, sure, but everyone I have talked with says not allowed.

herm

Adventurer
why? do we know the reason behind not letting in truck campers or why they will not allow you to drop them?
I have only been in a few actual camp grounds, but I have never heard anyone say anything about truck campers not being allowed to unload.

INSAYN

Adventurer
why? do we know the reason behind not letting in truck campers or why they will not allow you to drop them?
I have only been in a few actual camp grounds, but I have never heard anyone say anything about truck campers not being allowed to unload.

They have some goofy rules that states something to the fact it is unsafe if left unattended. Some kid may knock it over and squish them. Well, the kid will only do that once, right? Many of the older campers where wobbly at best if not on the truck. The newer campers have much wider stances, better center of gravity, better jacks, and actually designed to be used on or off the truck.

Some parks even make it sound like a fire hazard that they couldn't pull it out of the park like they could a trailer if on fire. Do they really think that they will pull a burning trailer either? A fire is a fire, put it out and remove the rubble. A burned trailer probably won't roll either.

Some park owners have a stump up their butt thinking that truck campers are hillbilly tents and should not be allowed in a park. Move on and avoid spending money there, for sure.

Judoka

Learning To Live
In PHX area they explain it of as disrupting other campers everytime that you drive your rig out to go shopping or somewhere, so you just dont even get into the park to even worry about dropping it. Besides they do look at it as less classy, or even downright trashy. They would rather sombody put in a $500 travel trailer than a $25,000 camper. Perception is reality I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier