Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

kb7our

Explorer
The guys are back at it working on cranking out new Habitats. AT was nice enough to send me a couple of finished paint pics.

Habitat Paint 1.jpgHabitat Paint 2.jpg

Ready for the final assembly and checkout process before delivery next week.

jrueppel

Adventurer
Enjoyed a handful of nights sleeping in the Habitat on the way to Colorado and back.

One night in the 20's with a bunch of wind camping in Great Basin National Park.
DSC_3752.jpg

Almost all good things to report.

*Definitely easier to set up in the ice and snow then trying to throw your tent down in the dark.

* The tent held up great during some serious gusts of wind.
There was enough to feel the Jeep lean a little during the blow and then straighten up.
(Weather report had gusts into the 40's and 50's mph predicted.)
All through it it the tent felt rock solid. I had been wondering what sleeping up there in a good wind was going to feel like and it was a no worries enjoy your rest kind of evening.

*Only thing I would report back on is that if you're planning on sleeping in winter temps you should probably add a extra piece of memory foam in on top of the what ever sleeping system you're using. A little extra insulation between you and the shell top goes a long ways.

Honu

lost on the mainland
so I think it sounds like a family of 4 could sleep in one ? am I correct in that thinking ?

jrueppel

Adventurer
Cool shot, and thanks for the report. I'm curious, what sleeping pad are you using?

I had a pair of Nemo Cosmos in there the night the photo was taken.
After an even colder night (10 degrees F) in Capital reef I added an inch of memory foam from Mega Lo Mart on top of them.

The Cosmos are attached with double sided velcro tape to the base.
The foam I haven't cut down to fit perfectly yet and I'm still debating how to fit the whole kit together since it's comfy but not really required for the other 3 seasons.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
so I think it sounds like a family of 4 could sleep in one ? am I correct in that thinking ?

I don't see why not. Two up front and two over the rear section, no problem if you don't mind being close to each other. However packing gear for four people in a jk is not easy!

Honu

lost on the mainland
I don't see why not. Two up front and two over the rear section, no problem if you don't mind being close to each other. However packing gear for four people in a jk is not easy!

yeah doing it in a FJC is not easy either :) hahahaha

still curious about that setup though :) seems pretty darn cool !

kb7our

Explorer
I had a pair of Nemo Cosmos in there the night the photo was taken.
After an even colder night (10 degrees F) in Capital reef I added an inch of memory foam from Mega Lo Mart on top of them.

The Cosmos are attached with double sided velcro tape to the base.
The foam I haven't cut down to fit perfectly yet and I'm still debating how to fit the whole kit together since it's comfy but not really required for the other 3 seasons.

On Cam's suggestion at OX12 I got the Cosmo Air "Insulated" version which I will be ready to put to the test hopefully very soon. It has an extra barrier to reduce cold/heat transfer. Of course I had to get the pillowtop that two Airs slip into as well :). Hopefully everything won't be a huge hassle to deal with and I'll be able to store it all in the Habitat with some nifty straps or similar arrangement.

Last edited:

will

Adventurer
So are the Habitats no longer coming with a foam pad? If so is the thought that people are going to replace it anyway?

kb7our

Explorer
Habitat install tomorrow :wings: followed by a couple of nights of winter camping NE of Prescott over the weekend!

jrueppel

Adventurer
Very cool! Psyched to see another one coming down the assembly line. I started a conversation AT about possible heating Systems for the JK/Habitat after a couple of cold nights camping. (10F is really pushing it.) I'd be interested to learn a bit more about how you've got the heating set up when you get some photos of it all working.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Good for you Wade. I'll wait for warmer weather... I have some work to do on the steering and suspension. Too cold and no time to work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles