Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

anotherguy

Observer
I haven't ever had an RTT either, and hasn't really thought about extended rain and putting it away wet. I probably wont have that issue since I live in Dallas, but it's a very interesting point you raise. It's not like you can open it in most garages to let it dry out either. Maybe post in the general RTT forum to see how others in similar climates handle the issue.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I'm in western Washington and just got back from a snow trip to Whistler where I camped in my RTT. It did rain and snow quite a bit and my tent is in the garage drying out for the third day now. Your concerns about putting away a wet tent for days/weeks at a time are very valid. I have an ARB RTT that doesn't fit in my garage or storage unit opened up when I need to dry it. I use my parent's oversized garage to air it out, but that's inconvenient for both of us. The tent is mounted on my M416 trailer and my thought is to get the Maggiolina Airtop so I can use my own garage to air out the tent. It's more compact in the fact it doesn't need as much headed room to fold open, and it opens straight up as opposed to over the side, which takes up a lot more room. Though, my ideal solution is to get the Habitat but I too am concerned about the wet WA weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Thanks for commenting about your experience with the RTT. I have been searching around for people's experience with roof tents in wet climates.
I've tried to clean mildew stains on sails and stuff that got stored wet or got wet after being stored. I can kill the growth but some stains never go away. It isn't fun trying to scrub that stuff away and get the smell out.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Just thought about this... What about a rainfly for the habitat like they make for the flippac? I know the Nemo tent on the habitat is waterproof, but as much as it rains up here in WA, a rainfly would seal the deal on a purchase. And I could store it in a small separate stuff sack. The habitat could be folded away dry and the smell of wet tent wouldn't be hanging over my head for the rest of the trip. Plus, I wouldn't have to wait for a rare dry day or rent a tall storage unit every time I needed to open and dry the tent. That would be a non issue as only the fly was wet. Would probably keep the grey nemo material cleaner too, as I know some of the rains in the southwest carry dirt and leave lighter fabrics brown and filthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

keithro

Adventurer
I would think that a semi-breathable, waterproof, main tent body combined with a sil-nylon fly would create so much condensation that the main tent body would be soaked anyways!

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I would think that a semi-breathable, waterproof, main tent body combined with a sil-nylon fly would create so much condensation that the main tent body would be soaked anyways!

Good point. I wonder if it would be possible to have the fly "stand-off" the tent so even if the fly is soaked, it doesn't touch the tent. It would probably also be worth putting breathing holes in the fly to try and minimize condensation, like this: http://www.moontrail.com/details/hilleberg/kaitum-3/kaitum-3-ot-model.jpg

In all my tenting experience, while condensation always seems like a lot of water and a soaked tent, it's a tiny fraction of the soaking from a good downpour (especially an equatorial downpour)

-Dan

Healeyjet

Explorer
kb7our, any Habitat yet? By my calculations it should have been ready a week ago. Is it installed and you are off camping?
Ward

kb7our

Explorer
kb7our, any Habitat yet? By my calculations it should have been ready a week ago. Is it installed and you are off camping?
Ward

Unfortunately, still just a dream at this point as apparently there was more than just the new torsion bars that were pending fabrication. The latest information and expectation is AT picks up a completed shell from UMV next week for painting and final assembly so I may have it the week before Christmas (hoping for 12/21 install). I sent in my paint match part and as of last week this schedule was holding up although I have yet to receive a picture from UMV which is also expected. Once the shell actually gets to AT then that will certainly be a milestone - from there the AT guys are doing their best to keep up with the backlog that might just be flowing to them again. In the meantime, suspension is ready as are other goodies on the JK to make it camping ready with the new top.

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
Is the Habitat intended to be opened, closed, and latched by one person?

Just what the title says...Is the Habitat intended to be operated by one person, including opening, closing, and latching the top? If so, how much if any torsion bar break in is requred to relax tension sufficiently for single person operation?

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Just what the title says...Is the Habitat intended to be operated by one person, including opening, closing, and latching the top? If so, how much if any torsion bar break in is requred to relax tension sufficiently for single person operation?

The only way I can do it by myself is to stuff all the sides in and then climb up on the back and sit down to do the latches up. So far it has not gotten one bit less tension.

kb7our

Explorer
The only way I can do it by myself is to stuff all the sides in and then climb up on the back and sit down to do the latches up. So far it has not gotten one bit less tension.

This doesn't sound good so far. Never have seen a video of closing, only opening. I hope this gets fixed unless it's by design which would seem off to me.

John/Mario, with my unit getting picked up tomorrow and painted during the week, what is to be expected as I had always understood single person operation. Sitting on the roof seems off to me to get the top latched. This is a pretty big deal for solo camping or when spouse comes along.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Yes it is designed for one person to close.

This doesn't sound good so far. Never have seen a video of closing, only opening. I hope this gets fixed unless it's by design which would seem off to me.

John/Mario, with my unit getting picked up tomorrow and painted during the week, what is to be expected as I had always understood single person operation. Sitting on the roof seems off to me to get the top latched. This is a pretty big deal for solo camping or when spouse comes along.

jrueppel

Adventurer
Just returned from Prescott with a new Habitat on top of the Jeep!

Buttoned up and ready to go.
DSC_3650-Edit.jpg

In the shop and getting the tent set up.
DSC_3640.jpg

After the wait, it's all worth it. I'll upload a few more images or start a new thread about my 43 hours mad dash drive from San Francisco to Prescott to get it installed and back. I wanted to thank Mario and Martyn and especially Clint, Dave and Carlo who cranked through lunch to get it installed so I could get on the road.

4am - back in SF - especially thankful again that it fits in the garage still.
IMAG2209.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles