Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

kb7our

Explorer
kb7our, are you back from your instal trip? Any thoughts on the Habitat?
Ward

I've been buried at work on some priority stuff and so haven't had a chance to camp. I will report back when things settle down after this week when I get a chance to get out with some time off.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Too funny! I was going to say exactly the same thing but I am fairly new here so let it alone.
At least you could let us know how it was on the drive home? Was it quiet? How was the fit and finish? Did you have to have a friend sit on it to close it?
Ward

kb7our

Explorer
Too funny! I was going to say exactly the same thing but I am fairly new here so let it alone.
At least you could let us know how it was on the drive home? Was it quiet? How was the fit and finish? Did you have to have a friend sit on it to close it?
Ward

I picked it up and drove right home to get right back to work with no time to spare. Super quiet compared to soft top I was used to. It was nice to get some weight on the new AEV suspension. I'm running their 2.5 coils, 3.5 shocks to fit a front and rear JKS ACOS setup so somewhat equivalent to a 3.5 lift but with a small rake left for more load in the rear (perfect for camping gear). I've run with a roof rack and RTT and found the Habitat more stable as expected but of course I also have a new suspension. Fit is great as the cap is adjustable by AT for a good match to the lower shell (probably not a home project). Fit and finish continues to get better with each unit I see as the AT guys continually evolve their products based on my experience. The rear cap doesn't quite extend to the edge of the lower shell which seems to be by design as all the other Habitats I have seen are this way. I'm happy with the two tone paint dubbed "Tuxedo Habitat" by the AT crew which is fitting. I'm adding LED lights to the lift gate and a water mixer connect I got from AT through the RR shell which I will post pics of eventually. I'm in the Phoenix area if anyone seriously considering wants to take a look and can't make it to Prescott. Need to figure out what other tweaks I want to make for my type of camping which gets into the fun stuff tweaking things here and there. Overall, absolutely delighted with the purchase as an early adopter and I know the AT team is there to take care of anything that may need tweaking after real world use to shake things down off the beaten path hopefully soon. AT has my torsion bar dialed in pretty good if not just right as time will tell. I don't have to sit on the top for closure without anything stored up top and I was able to complete the process myself. I have some assist ideas I'll share with AT for a simple pull setup that could possibly make the process even easier kind of like how the Autohome hard shell tents work with a pull for the Columbus style tents. What would be cool is a pull that was easy to attach to the latch points and fasten down at the hitch (or somewhere) that allows one person to nearly close the unit yet walk around it to do a quick tuck in of the fabric, walk back to the rear and complete the latching process.

Good luck to you guys waiting in line for yours!

Last edited:

jrueppel

Adventurer
What would be cool is a pull that was easy to attach to the latch points and fasten down at the hitch (or somewhere) that allows one person to nearly close the unit yet walk around it to do a quick tuck in of the fabric, walk back to the rear and complete the latching process.

I like this idea. It would make it really easy to run a line to the rear hitch with a self locking knot on it (Munter Hitch or something similar). It would be great to have a "third hand" when going solo to close it up. A low profile color matched point that could take a smaller climbing grade carabiner would work great.

kb7our

Explorer
Just met KB7OUR at the Superstition hamfest today. Your Jeep looks great, and I love all the upgrades.

Hey jjohnsonphx, it was great to run into you and see your Tundra AT FliPac and very nice camping and gear setup in the bed. I've been so busy at work it was nice to get away for a few hrs to check out the Hamfest. Looking forward to the Pera Club venue next month for the Spring Hamfest which I hope brings in more sellers.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Hey jjohnsonphx, it was great to run into you and see your Tundra AT FliPac and very nice camping and gear setup in the bed. I've been so busy at work it was nice to get away for a few hrs to check out the Hamfest. Looking forward to the Pera Club venue next month for the Spring Hamfest which I hope brings in more sellers.

Are those events open to all comers? How would I find out about it?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I picked it up and drove right home to get right back to work with no time to spare. Super quiet compared to soft top I was used to. It was nice to get some weight on the new AEV suspension. I'm running their 2.5 coils, 3.5 shocks to fit a front and rear JKS ACOS setup so somewhat equivalent to a 3.5 lift but with a small rake left for more load in the rear (perfect for camping gear). I've run with a roof rack and RTT and found the Habitat more stable as expected but of course I also have a new suspension. Fit is great as the cap is adjustable by AT for a good match to the lower shell (probably not a home project). Fit and finish continues to get better with each unit I see as the AT guys continually evolve their products based on my experience. The rear cap doesn't quite extend to the edge of the lower shell which seems to be by design as all the other Habitats I have seen are this way. I'm happy with the two tone paint dubbed "Tuxedo Habitat" by the AT crew which is fitting. I'm adding LED lights to the lift gate and a water mixer connect I got from AT through the RR shell which I will post pics of eventually. I'm in the Phoenix area if anyone seriously considering wants to take a look and can't make it to Prescott. Need to figure out what other tweaks I want to make for my type of camping which gets into the fun stuff tweaking things here and there. Overall, absolutely delighted with the purchase as an early adopter and I know the AT team is there to take care of anything that may need tweaking after real world use to shake things down off the beaten path hopefully soon. AT has my torsion bar dialed in pretty good if not just right as time will tell. I don't have to sit on the top for closure without anything stored up top and I was able to complete the process myself. I have some assist ideas I'll share with AT for a simple pull setup that could possibly make the process even easier kind of like how the Autohome hard shell tents work with a pull for the Columbus style tents. What would be cool is a pull that was easy to attach to the latch points and fasten down at the hitch (or somewhere) that allows one person to nearly close the unit yet walk around it to do a quick tuck in of the fabric, walk back to the rear and complete the latching process.

Good luck to you guys waiting in line for yours!

Hey kb7our,

I'd love to hear any more of your thoughts/opinions on the habitiat when you've given it a complete go-through.

Thanks!
-Dan

kb7our

Explorer
Are those events open to all comers? How would I find out about it?

Hey DK, for AZ Hamfests here's a few http://www.arca-az.org/main/calendar.html

Yes, open to public just a few bucks to help with expenses. Usually old amateur radio gear, some new mixed in, and other things Hams typically will buy like camping gear I have had success selling on occasion. The Pera Club event should be a nice venue and Williams during the Summer is one of the best in AZ. Would be nice to see a swap event an OX13 but that doesn't seem to have materialized yet - good opporunity for Overlanders to sell stuff I would think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles