Can I flip over my trailer axle?

BCHauler

Adventurer
I have just acquired an old moldy travel trailer from the early 70's that I demolished and will be turning into ...well, I'm not sure yet. Maybe a flatbed, maybe a basic utility trailer for firewood etc, or maybe a traveling support platform, I haven't decided yet. Currently, I'm finishing the demolition, and right now all that's left is removing the old decking. While underneath grinding off old rusted bolts, I noticed that the axle (3500lb) is a drop axle mounted under spring packs. The trailer rides pretty low to the ground and actually makes contact with the ground in one spot in my driveway.

My question is this: can I turn the axle upside down and make it a lift axle? The spring perch appears to be a clamp style that is the same on the top and the bottom of the axle and the perch on the bottom has a hole in it for the centering pin. Does that make sense? Sorry, my wife has gone out of town so I don't at the moment have pics but will add them when she returns.

Sorry for the dodgy writing, my 2 year old is having a fit on my lap as I type.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I have done this exact thing on my trailer. It is a 3500# axle with a 4" drop that I had custom made. I flipped it and now I have great ground clearance with a moderate sized tire. I did talk with the axle manufacturer before I did it. He said it is not an issue and he has no problem with offering a warranty when used this way.
I have drug this poor little trailer over every type of terrain in Colorado, Arizona and Utah without a single problem with the axle or springs.
I would attach a pic but my laptop is not cooperating at the moment.
Here is a link to a flickr page with some pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11889582@N08/4807524759/in/set-72157624408790269/

BCHauler

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. I picked up some new ubolts today and may have a go at the flip tomorrow. When you flip the axle, did you unbolt the axle from the backing plate to keep the brake assembly aligned the same way, or can you run it upside down?

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I don't have any breaks on my trailer. It is pretty light and I pull it with a full size rig. But as a former mechanic I would say take the time and flip the backing plates as well. Especially if they are hydraulic. It may save headaches down the road.

BCHauler

Adventurer
They are electric brakes, but I will follow your advice and my gut and try flipping the backing plate as well. When I checked the brakes a few days ago, I was pleasantly suprised at their condition. The bolts holding the backing plate on may be a different story however.

So far, the costs associated with the trailer are:

Trailer: free (just lots of time demo-ing and burning...err, recycling)
Parts: $15 Trailer lighting kit from Princess Auto
$20 new ubolts and plates

If I can convince my wife to let me borrow MY camera, I'll post up some pics.

wjeeper

I have flipped a few drop axles with no problems before. Only caveat is to make sure the axle is strait. Some axles have a "camber bend" in them....usually you see it in 3500+ pound axles.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip on the curved axle. I checked and mine is straight.

Ok, I flipped the axle today. Sorry no pics yet (arrgh!). All of the bolts loosened easily which is miraculous considering how corroded they were. I got the nuts off of the backing plates to turn the brakes as well but ran out of my son's naptime (aargh!). The deck seems a LOT taller now. Might be too tall. Will try to get pics again tomorrow while I chew on whether or not it's too tall now.

pyrate

Rollin' along
watch the tire wear on the 1st few trips. I flipped an axle a few years ago and there must have been a slight camber to it as it ate the tires off it. I ended up flipping it back over and using lift blocks to get the height I wanted.

r_w

Adventurer
I have flipped a few drop axles with no problems before. Only caveat is to make sure the axle is strait. Some axles have a "camber bend" in them....usually you see it in 3500+ pound axles.

Drop axles often have the camber built into the drop section. +1 on watching tire wear.

May be easier to find a straight axle cheap, take your measurements and look for a craigslist/garage sale trailer.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up on the cambered drop section. I checked and it seemed to be good.

So after flipping the axle and turning the brakes right side up, I hooked up the truck and parked in a flat spot in my yard to check it out. Way too high. The trailer was raked nose-down dramatically to the tongue. Measurements to the bottom of the frame had 21.5" at the tongue and 30.5" at the rear bumper. It looked like I was towing the frame of a top fuel dragster. So out came the tools again and re-reversed the flip. I think I'm just going to keep my eyes out for something to use as blocks, or maybe a cheap straight axle.

I thought about keeping the axle flipped but moving it over the springs (SUA) but the clearance to the frame wouldn't have been there for hauling a load.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Thanks for the heads up on the cambered drop section. I checked and it seemed to be good.

So after flipping the axle and turning the brakes right side up, I hooked up the truck and parked in a flat spot in my yard to check it out. Way too high. The trailer was raked nose-down dramatically to the tongue. Measurements to the bottom of the frame had 21.5" at the tongue and 30.5" at the rear bumper. It looked like I was towing the frame of a top fuel dragster. So out came the tools again and re-reversed the flip. I think I'm just going to keep my eyes out for something to use as blocks, or maybe a cheap straight axle.

I thought about keeping the axle flipped but moving it over the springs (SUA) but the clearance to the frame wouldn't have been there for hauling a load.

Is your hitch off the tow vehicle straight or a drop ball? Not sure how much would be required to make up the difference but a few inches on the point of attachment might help or at least get it close.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Are you pulling it off of your bumper, or a receiver mounted under the bumper? If it's a receiver, the simple solution is to buy a drop-hitch & run it upside down (that's what I do). Any decent trailer shop will be able to get you the hitch within an inch or two of your target.

If the trailer is simply too tall - new trailer axles aren't that expensive.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
One other thing to note with cambered trailer axles - you want to be sure that the bend is pointing up (most new axles are labeled something to the effect of "this side up"). If you don't get the orientation right, the toe in (or out - depending on the orientation) will be off.

So - if you're thinking about rotating a drop axle to achieve less than the total drop (say, rotating it 45* to achieve 2" of drop out of a 4" drop axle), it won't work very well.

762X39

Explorer
I raised my 40 year old trailer by welding a set of spring perches to the top of the drop axles (yes the axles are bowed to only work 1 way) and performed a SOA which gave me the lift I needed. Trailer springs and axles are crappy compared to truck stuff so don't ask drop axles to do severe duty, you know what I mean):coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior