On board air fuse question

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am in the process of hooking up my on board air (finally), and have the compressor mounted in the bed of my truck. I am running the power wire from the battery with welding cable (#4 wire).. I want to do a fuse but I am not sure how to fuse it? Any help here? Pics/links?

Patman

Explorer
I run an appropriately sized resetable circuit breaker on mine. In my case 40 amp (QuickAir2)

Regular fuse should work fine, just carry a few spares, as it is easier to heat it up to the point of failure with the constant use a compressor can see.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have very little ( like zero) knowledge of this, I don't know where to buy the "fuse" holder/fuse., at all, or how or where to place it in the line. What does this set up look like?

Patman

Explorer
As you haven't already bought a fuse setup, I would recommend going with a resetable circuit breaker. BlueSea makes some very nice units. The compressor mfg. Can provide the correct amp rating neccessary.

If you prefer a fuse, high end audio stuff is very often 4 ga. and easily sourced online, just remember to carry a spare or two.

As far as placement, accepted standard is to place the breaker/fuse as close to the battery as conveniently possible, thus protecting most of the circuit from short circuit.

So

Battery
Circuit breaker/fuse
Relay
Compressor

In that order.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I wish there was a book on automotive electronics. I want to do a fuse block/relay/blah blah , but I have no clue what i'm doing. I wish I could just pay someone to install it for me, but from what I've seen the places around ABQ are more into BIG LIFTS and TIRES and thats about it. I am almost to the point of driving to Prescott to get r done right.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
As you haven't already bought a fuse setup, I would recommend going with a resetable circuit breaker. BlueSea makes some very nice units. The compressor mfg. Can provide the correct amp rating neccessary.

If you prefer a fuse, high end audio stuff is very often 4 ga. and easily sourced online, just remember to carry a spare or two.

As far as placement, accepted standard is to place the breaker/fuse as close to the battery as conveniently possible, thus protecting most of the circuit from short circuit.

So

Battery
Circuit breaker/fuse
Relay
Compressor

In that order.

I will give it another go.. thank you for the help. As far as the Blue sea fuse block?.. is it the 6 way one with or without the negative?

Patman

Explorer
If the fuse block will accept a 4 ga wire any of them will work fine.

As far as one with a ground, its always nice to have a centralized accessory ground, but not neccessary.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I prefer breakers over fuses. A breaker can be reset 100 times if you are having a problem. You get one chance with a fuse and you better have a replacement. A breaker is also rated to be used as a switch. Rated water proof so no worries under the hood.

50A Breaker

racemedic

Observer
Go talk with the shop that builds/upfits the emergency vehicles for your local Fire/Police Dept. They should have all the needed parts or could order what you need. They should also be able to give you some helpfull tips or they may be able to do the wiring for you if you wish.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Go talk with the shop that builds/upfits the emergency vehicles for your local Fire/Police Dept. They should have all the needed parts or could order what you need. They should also be able to give you some helpfull tips or they may be able to do the wiring for you if you wish.

Hmmmmmmmm..... interesting thought....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior