What hitch mounted bike rack???

Klierslc

Explorer
First off, I would only get a rack that supports the bikes from underneath and them well. A rack that clamps onto the frame and lets the bikes swing freely is hard to deal with and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep the bikes from banging together and destroying the paint or other components.

The swagman will get the job done for not a lot of money. I worked at a bike shop for a while. We carried them and the customers never had any issues. I once saw a swagman with $15k worth of bikes on it! However, if you feel like you are going to use it frequently I would invest in one that might have more features like a Thule or Kuat.:coffeedrink:

I agree for the most part, but will have to disagree about the ability for a rack to keep the bikes separate.

I use an allen rack [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-3-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B001M4KXDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304776531&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Allen Deluxe 3-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1.25 or 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
but use the yakima cradles that strap to the down tube. This system keeps the bikes separate and is relatively inexpensive.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have tried a bunch of racks over the years, and North Shore racks seem to be the best "style" rack. LOVE the swing out idea posted above...sweet addition.

Personally I love the new Saris 2 bike drop in rack I have. I have a lifted Jeep Cherokee and it is pretty springy, The rack and the bikes on it does not move...at all. By far the most stable rack I have owned.

New they are around $600 CDN, so OUCH. I got mine used for $200. Link here...

CycleOn_Pro_4d5d4e47343e4.jpg

I also like or prefer the drop in style racks for ease of loading and SPEED of loading. I can literally load my bikes in 10 seconds.

ericvs

HAHA! Theirs don't swing out though! Rookies! :sombrero: $550 sure hurts the wallet! I had mine fabbed up in a Saturday. Impressive product though. Thanks for the link.

haha no doubt. maybe you could build me one of those...:)

Also, check these out. Built in bike stand:
http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=NV

Didn't get super great reviews however. I think if I was going to get one (and since I don't have mad skills like SLO_F-250) I would go with this one (previously mentioned in this thread):
http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

It is important to me to be able to leave the bikes locked to the rack, tip it down and be able to fully open the tailgate. I am not 100% sure, but the Yakima and Thule don't tip far enough down to allow this. no good.
I emailed 1upusa about the ability of the tailgate to fully open with bikes mounted on the rack and the guy actually took his rack, mounted it to the back of a silverado, loaded a bike on it and tested it. said it would clear no problem.
now just to come up with the money...

chnlisle

Adventurer
I modified this Hollywood rack so it can carry any of our bikes including the tandem. It hinges down to allow access to the camper.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 34

SLO_F-250

Explorer
haha no doubt. maybe you could build me one of those...:)

Also, check these out. Built in bike stand:
http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=NV

Didn't get super great reviews however. I think if I was going to get one (and since I don't have mad skills like SLO_F-250) I would go with this one (previously mentioned in this thread):
http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

It is important to me to be able to leave the bikes locked to the rack, tip it down and be able to fully open the tailgate. I am not 100% sure, but the Yakima and Thule don't tip far enough down to allow this. no good.
I emailed 1upusa about the ability of the tailgate to fully open with bikes mounted on the rack and the guy actually took his rack, mounted it to the back of a silverado, loaded a bike on it and tested it. said it would clear no problem.
now just to come up with the money...

Originally I wanted to try and make a few to sell, but I would need that thing called "time" to perfect it. haha Know any investors that would like to help out with SLO-Racks products?? :victory:

It would be very east to take one of those you have links to and just add a swing out arm to get it away from the rear of the vehicle. I modified one for a friend who has a camper van. He wanted to access the rear door easier. Personally I think there is a market for the swing out. A lot of active "mini-van'rs and SUV'rs" out there who could benefit from it.

TwinCruiser

Observer
I have a Thule 4 bike carrier. Forgot the model # but it tilts down to allow access. It is not the swing out type.

I usually fit 5 mountain bikes on it and love the thing. I add additional web straps to keep the bikes from banging around.

This is the only pic I have of it in use.

FlamingoCamping2-19-11001.jpg

I love to ride ride. No mountains here but lots of tracks for mountain bikes.

My favorite riding is in the Everglades, usually by my self during solo camping trips. Lots of wildlife around and you can sneak up on them on a bike.

BigCypressBearIslandBiking020-1.jpg

Airmonger

Adventurer
Has anyone had experience mounting a swing out bike Carrier to a swing out rear bumper? Specifically a Yakima swing daddy? I supposed with an extension it might work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94