Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
These are not in any particular order, unless mentioned.

10 Greats
7. Brake upgrade. Get the cross-drilled and slotted rotors and Porterfield S pads. I bought mine from Wheelers (good guys). I now have better than stock braking with a 6,000 lb. truck.

Thanks for the informative list, and in my case, especially thanks for number 7. This is my next mod to take place in November and I was looking for options. :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Amen.

The 255/85R16 needs more fans and there is nothing like a long-time supporter and teacher of the tall/narrow philosophy leading the charge :)

expeditionswest said:
Yeah, 255/85 R16 is perfect for what I use my truck for. I am also mounting up some new wheels from Australia.

Westy

Adventurer
Redline said:
Amen.

The 255/85R16 needs more fans and there is nothing like a long-time supporter and teacher of the tall/narrow philosophy leading the charge :)

Does anyone know if there is a tire similiar to the 255/85 in a 17" wheel?

jim65wagon

Redline said:
Amen.

OK I'm a fan! I fretted for months on staying with 265/75 or going to 255/85; one ride through GWNF was all it took on 255's. I'm hooked. Thanks Scott
Now if all the manufacturers would just make this size, I could spend more time on tire decisions!

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
yeah, not too many tyre companies make this size do they?

BFG makes em, Maxxis Bighorn, and TRXUS are the only ones that I know off.

I'd love the Bighorns next but only if their sidewalls had an extra ply in strength, coz the price is ok compared to the BFG. Then again you get what you pay for.

Have any of you guys seen the new BFG MT? I reckon this tyre in the 255 size would be awesome for what we do, thou how much more would it cost?

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
expeditionswest said:
10. No camping protection from the elements! This has been the biggest revelation. If the weather is crappy, I have no retreat other than the Eezi-Awn. I should have installed an Eezi-Awn awning with the canvas sides. A place to cook and sit out of the rain, wind, sand or snow it much needed.
Whatever happened to this awning:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/awning.html

Did it have some inherent problems? I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have a set of Maxxis Bravo 761 ATs with 3-ply sidewalls and a set of Bighorns with 2-ply walls, go figure. I think this is partially because the ATs are a newer design and Maxxis is more concerned with weight carrying and flex wear or road going trucks (their website says something similar).

Three sidewall plies have a perceived advantage, but the design of the plies, not just the number of them, must be important as well.

I hope BFG is going to make the new MT in the 255/85 size as I think it will help keep the size alive.

Cooper Tire (and subsidiaries) make a few tires in the 255/85R16 size, Toyo makes them in their M55 traction tire too (I had a set). Though the choices are limited, there are a few for those that really want them.

Hilux_Max said:
yeah, not too many tyre companies make this size do they?

BFG makes em, Maxxis Bighorn, and TRXUS are the only ones that I know off.

I'd love the Bighorns next but only if their sidewalls had an extra ply in strength, coz the price is ok compared to the BFG. Then again you get what you pay for.

Have any of you guys seen the new BFG MT? I reckon this tyre in the 255 size would be awesome for what we do, thou how much more would it cost?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
So few tires are available in the USA with an 85% (or higher) aspect ratio. Only the 255/85R16, 235/85R16, & 215/85R16 sizes come to mind. Most LT tires have a 70-75% aspect ratio and I don't see this changing. Tires are actually trending to shorter sidewalls as the huge wheel diameter fad continues to skyrocket out of control.

The nice thing about 255/85R16 is that they are a true 33-in tall tire, often taller than many other "33s" while not being overly wide (as Scott has documented well in a few places). To get a moderate width 33 other than a 255/85, in either a 16 OR 17-in tire, most people end up with a 285/75R16 or 285/70R17. These are about the same height, 33-inch, but substantially wider. I have had 285/75R16 in a Toyo MT and just didn't care for the width on either my 2005 Wrangler or my 1996 F350. Having said that, many people love them, and consider the 285/75R16 a "narrow 33".

Are you are interested in the 255/85 for your FJC? Maybe you should consider buying the 16x7.5" FJ Cruiser TRD alloy wheels online for about $125.00 each. (They cost me about $141.00 shipped from http://toyotapartspeople.com ) An attractive, lightweight, factory Toyota wheel for $125.00 seems like a deal to me. I'm using my TRD wheels as my 'street' wheels with the Maxxis 255/85R15 Bravo 761 ATs mounted, and my stock 4Runner wheels for my MT treads.

EDIT: How appropriate, this is post number "255" for me on The Expedition Portal :)

Westy said:
Does anyone know if there is a tire similiar to the 255/85 in a 17" wheel?

LAW

Adventurer
where did you find that filler neck for your aux tank? im having a pretty hard time sourcing one for my project..

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Scott,

Ive been going back your this thread for the past hour or so and seen you mentioned a couple times that you might want to fit 35's for the trails one day......

do you still have plans for this and how will you be going about it?

more cutting into the guards or a bodylift or other?

maybe 34/10.5x16's might be a better option....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne