Good deal on tent trailer, need suggestions

ratch3t

I have an opportunity to pick this trailer up for REALLY cheap.. I want to eventually have an expedition trailer that will be able to go offroad with me.

Wanting any opinions suggestions on this trailer -- do you think it has potential and is worth picking up? It simply just pops up into a queen mattress tent and a 4ft extension..

2011-04-12_17-08-50_610.jpg

2011-04-12_17-08-28_416.jpg

2011-04-12_17-08-59_579.jpg

cobound

Adventurer
I'm lookin at that goin HELL YEAH, it's got a feel like mine, go for it...only to click on that link and realize it was a link to MY trailer!

Nice man...hope you can work something out.

I've actually been working on my Scrambler and my trailer, it'll be a whole new outing this year for me. Gets better every time I use it!

Good luck,

B

dmacxj

I picked up a trailer just like that last year. I've only had it out once so far and I was really happy with it. It was a tight fit to sleep my family of 5 though. I plan on using it lightly during the summer then start building it into something more capable over the winter.

a6f2a4a6.jpg

ratch3t

awesome im pretty sure thats identical.. Do you have the make/model and dimensions of it?

And if you dont mind what did ya get it for? I can pick mine up for $300.00

By chance do y have any pics of it setup?

dmacxj

awesome im pretty sure thats identical.. Do you have the make/model and dimensions of it?

And if you dont mind what did ya get it for? I can pick mine up for $300.00

By chance do y have any pics of it setup?

My title has it listed as a 1959 Coleman. However I haven't been able to find much information on it. As far as the over all length including the tongue I'm not sure. The aluminum box is 7' x 4'. Once my tent has been setup the portion that folds out onto the ground is 7' x 7'.

I was able to pick mine up for $700. My tent is in good condition considering how old it is. I only had one 2" hole that I had to cover. The top is starting to wear thin from being setup.

I have a few more photos on my home computer of the inside once it's setup. I can upload those tonight.

e5d95160.jpg

9bcba2f9.jpg

Nice, tons of potential for both!

Can't wait to see your upgrades :coffee:

B

cobound I've admired your trailer since I purchased mine. I have read your through your thread a couple of times looking for inspiration.

cobound

Adventurer
Thanks. I haven't done much but use it...but like everyone else, I have plans! A removable rack is next, stay tuned!

Your floor portion looks much larger than mine, I'm impressed w/ these old things. As much as I like how the canvas folds up, I'm not sure I'll replace it when it goes bad or gets beyond me being able to sew any tears.

Unless I can find a different material that is lighter and have a shop make a similar version, I'll end up doing a roof top tent swap. Because of the large trailer height and lift I'd have to have a few feet sewn into a new one anyway.

I'm keepin tabs on this thread :)

B

Quill

Adventurer
Coleman's early ones were black. They also had aluminum clad ones.

You can have a lot of fun with that camper. I bought a Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate that was made for towing behind a motorcycle. We have had it behind an Accord, a CRV and a Samurai. It gives you a decent no frills place to sleep. Just right for my wife and I. Pretty much like the one in this video.

http://youtu.be/z4VbQvacwh4

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I love how Cobound built his Heliux. That trailer looks more like an Apachee Chief. I have a 1961 model they are sweet lil trailers. The legs store in the rails like you see in my pics. Looks like someone added the lil straps. If you can get it cheap and the canvas is in good shape get it. You will never loose money on it.

100_1361.jpg

100_1345.jpg

Last edited:

cobound

Adventurer
Thanks again for the complements, but the build was done by the previous owner. He is a welder, did a stand up job on all aspects of this fabrication, right down to getting canvas added to accommodate the lift height.

Mine was originally a three wheeler that attached to a bumper, not a hitch; so you're ahead already having a full axle under that puppy. Yeah, if you can pick it up for $3 hundo and it has fair canvas, you won't lose any money on it.

You don't have it sitting in your driveway yet :smiley_drive:

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior