For Sale - 1992 FJ80 Overland

dkw3

Just Built Overland 1992 FJ80.

Location - Pennsylvania
Milage - 133,076
Price - $10,500 ( Have over $16,000 invested in her)

The Story:
I purchase this excellent condition 1992 FJ80 in January of 2011 to build up for overland travel. My family and I are planning a trip out West and to Alaska in the next few years. I have always wanted an 80 series and after purchasing, I sent the FJ80 to Cruiser Solutions in New Hampshire for them to work their magic. I had Cruiser Solutions base lined, do all PM work and build me my dream cruiser. They did a wonderful job. When I got the cruiser back it looked and drove great. It became apparent at that time that the 3FE engine was very slow. With my wife and two kids, gear and a roof top tent the FJ80 is just tooooo slow for me. So with great sadness I am going to sell her and get a 100 series.

Here is a list of all the things done to her:

Base Line and PM work done:
1. Replace all fluids (transmission, front & rear diff, transfer case, brake, coolant, ps fluid)

2. Complete mechanical inspection by Cruiser Solutions

3. Total Rebuild of front and rear axle with OEM Toyota Parts

4. New – Radiator, spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap assembly, valve cover gasket, side cover gasket, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat, heater control valve, PCV valve, all new belts and hoses in engine compartment, new rear heater hose and hard lines, brake calipers cleaned and lubed, throttle body cleaned, new temperature sending unit, tie rod end kit.

5. I added three 12 volt outlets. One front, middle and rear.

I replace anything in question. This FJ was going to be carrying my family and I wanted it done right.

Overland Equipment added to FJ80: (All brand new)!

1. ARB Bumper with Warn 9.5xp winch with “3/8 Viking winch line and safety thimble, I had the back side and lower portion of the bumper line-x.

2. ARB Lockers front and rear

3. ARB large air compressor

4. Old Man Emu 2.5” suspension lift with caster kit, steering stabilizer, nitro charger sport shock absorbers with heavy front and medium rear coils.

5. 16” TRD wheels with BFG KM2 LT285/75R16 tires

All work was performed by Cruiser Solutions and they did and excellent job. When I get my 100 series it will be going back to them to get overland outfitted.

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

I have over $16,000 in this FJ80. I,m williling to sell for $10,500!!! Please email me any questions.

Last edited:

dkw3

She is in great shape. I hate to see her go but a 100 series will work for me better. The person who get this FJ80 is getting a great deal. It was built up right.

Thanks.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am having major spiritual issues right now with vehicles like this.. I have been building up my Power Wagon for three years now, and am continuing to do so, but am somehow, for some reason, drawn to these Landcruisers. It's like a war is taking place in my brain and I don't know what side my spirit and checkbook will eventually take............

F5driver

Adventurer
I am having major spiritual issues right now with vehicles like this.. I have been building up my Power Wagon for three years now, and am continuing to do so, but am somehow, for some reason, drawn to these Landcruisers. It's like a war is taking place in my brain and I don't know what side my spirit and checkbook will eventually take............

At that price, just buy the thing. Your checkbook will recover by the time your spirit knows what hit it. Cruiser solutions does good work by the way.

Helot

It became apparent at that time that the 3FE engine was very slow. With my wife and two kids, gear and a roof top tent the FJ80 is just tooooo slow for me.

I've read about the 3FE and it's "slowness," but without haven driven one, still have trouble grasping what this means. Slow to accelerate? Slow top speed? Or simply slow relative to engines with greater / bigger engines? Also, with your current setup, are you getting about 10-13 mpg or more?

dkw3

I'm getting around 12 mpg. Slow meaning that it's not a sports car. It has good low end, hills make it slow going, but it will go 65 + down the highway.

Toyotero

Explorer
Wow, this might be the best deal on an excellently built LC ever. If only there were room in the stable :-D

Best of luck with the sale!

Rozzi

Adventurer
That has to be one of the cleanest I have seen. Look at those seat rails! Well worth the price. Good luck.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Day 1 - Buy this Land Cruiser and go to DMV

Day 2 - Go back home, load the mountain bike and surfboards.

Day 3 - Gather a few friends and head down to Central America.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I've read about the 3FE and it's "slowness," but without haven driven one, still have trouble grasping what this means. Slow to accelerate? Slow top speed? Or simply slow relative to engines with greater / bigger engines? Also, with your current setup, are you getting about 10-13 mpg or more?

Slow meaning that it was designed and built for the world market. It is designed to get you there and back. It is not meant for the German Autobahnen.

The 3FE is a reliable, dependable, sturdy engine that will last a long, long time. It has gear driven cam timing, no chain to stretch, no belt to maintain. It has oodles of low end torque, and is easily bush serviceable. The only "issue" with the 3FE (along with the 2F) is an oil gallery plug that can work loose and dump all your oil out. That is easily prevented , though.

The 3FE is no speed champion, however if you enjoy driving, it puts the "cruise" in Land Cruiser. It has a 4500 RPM redline, is really happy ~2200 RPM, and if you keep her below 60 on the freeway and you should see mileage in the upper teens.

80s are built for cruising the Serengeti, the Outback or the jungles of South America. Not the freeway to the mall. My personal opinion is that this rig is almost perfect. If it were me I would ditch the Medium rears for 863s, get rid of the fragile synthetic line for tried and true wire rope, and put 93+ land cruiser wheels on it (assuming that there are spacers on these wheels).

I do have a question. Where has this lived for it's life? I don't see any rust, so I don't think it has been in the Northeast for too long.

Good luck with the sale.

:safari-rig:

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I agree with Mogas, the FJ80 has it's own special virtues and if you aren't looking to blaze down the freeway in it, it is a great compromise of modern comfort and stubborn reliability. As far as I am concerned, FJ80's are the best value on the Land Cruiser market right now. This one is amazing and frankly even has me thinking hard.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94