M101A2 Expo camping trailer

JPK

Explorer
Both of my A2's have the 16.5" rims with 33" tires with a straight axle. The best that I can tell is that the A2's have Surge brakes and later A2's got a more reinforced cargo bed with corner lift points.

If you have A2's with the 37" wheels on them, chances are they were changed out before the sale or by a motor pool with only 37's to throw on.

The corner lift points are common amoung the A2's and 3's according to the service manuals. (Speaking of the u bolts at the corners.) The manuals say the A3's have a 4" frame while the A1's and 2's have a 3" frame.

When re-reading the manuals last night I came across a gov't publication that cites the difference between the A1,2 and 3. No mention of bed size differences, but it did cite straight axles for the A1's and 2's and "offset" axle for the A3. But my A2 definitely has the drop axle and so did the other A2 in the dealer's yard, along with the 37's. (And the several other A2's I've seen.)

I'm thinking there must have been an ongoing upfit program for the offset/drop axles and the 37's. Here's a link to several gov't publications, including the manuals and the differences between models. http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_2/TM-9-2330-202-14-P/index.htm

JPK

96XJ0507

I think you are right about the upfit program. I've wondered on some of these if the boxes don't get switched around a lot and the year is the year the new box gets put on the trailer.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I have a m101A2 that I am cutting down, re-axling, and welding back up for an expedition type trailer. I found about 240lbs of weight can be removed by cutting out the bed bracing and welding the bed directly to the trailer. Also by removing the hydraulic brakes and jack leg.

Here is where mine sits right now, waiting on an axle, wheels, and some tubing to fab up rock slider/brush deflectors before putting the box on and finishing it up.

I'm also planning to weigh the axle and brake/hub components to see what I'm saving with a new axle.
That is a A3 cargo bed. Notice the wheel wheels! With the reduction of the wheel wells you are able to lay a full sheet of drywall on the floor and still have a inch to pick it back up.

cocco78

Adventurer
I have both an A2 and A3 sitting in my yard right now. The A2's should have the straight axle, with 235/85r16 tires and regular 8 lug 16" wheels.

mccoy052.jpg

mccoy054.jpg

JPK

Explorer
I have both an A2 and A3 sitting in my yard right now. The A2's should have the straight axle, with 235/85r16 tires and regular 8 lug 16" wheels.

Some A2's have drop axles, mine does. The narrower A2 fenders, wider A2 wheel wells in the bed and wider A3 drop axles. It had the eight bolt and eight lug Humvee wheels with the 12.5x37x16.5 military Wranglers when it was sold by the military as well, though the dealer sold those seperately prior to my purchase of the trailer. (I did buy Humvee wheels and tires later to replace the missing wheels and tires.)

As I wrote above, I think the military was doing axle upfits. Or maybe swapping out damaged A3 boxes with A2 boxes when needed, or replacing busted straight axles with spare drop axles....

EDIT: Looking at your photos it seems that maybe the box on the A3 and the frame were not mated for long since the frame is desert tan and the box is green.

JPK

Last edited:

Diesel YJ

Observer
I live in Chevy Chase and get up toward Thurmont once in a while to fish or to Fredrick to shoot.

I think I have a couple of eight lug wheels and tires off my M101A2. I replaced them with original hummer wheels and tires which had gone missing. You're welcome to them if they'll do you good (and if they're still in the warehouse.)

JPK

That would be great, I can use a spare for my trip out to the Gran Tetons via Yellowstone. I would like to swap to a newer, lighter and electric brake axle but I don't have time. I will post some pics of the trailer very soon as I will start building it in the next few days and I need to put it together quickly. I will make refined changes later on.

This will be vacation before leaving for my 2nd tour of duty in Iraq at the end of Aug so I plan on making it a good one. I really wanted to get my 88 Grand Wagoneer together in time to use it to haul the trailer and make it a iconic trip but it will either be my new tow vehicle 06 F250 or my 2000 WJ but it would be a work out for her to tow that distance and terrain at any kind of decent speed. Pics to follow.

cocco78

Adventurer
Some A2's have drop axles, mine does. The narrower A2 fenders, wider A2 wheel wells in the bed and wider A3 drop axles. It had the eight bolt and eight lug Humvee wheels with the 12.5x37x16.5 military Wranglers when it was sold by the military as well, though the dealer sold those seperately prior to my purchase of the trailer. (I did buy Humvee wheels and tires later to replace the missing wheels and tires.)

As I wrote above, I think the military was doing axle upfits. Or maybe swapping out damaged A3 boxes with A2 boxes when needed, or replacing busted straight axles with spare drop axles....

EDIT: Looking at your photos it seems that maybe the box on the A3 and the frame were not mated for long since the frame is desert tan and the box is green.

JPK

Yes, lots of upfitting. I should have put the word "should" in quotations :) Both the frames on these trailers were much older. The A3 I have was a 2005 VSE rebuild. Either way the A2's and A3's are great trailers! I like the added width and stability of the A3, but the A2 is a little easier to snake through the woods.

JPK

Explorer
Also, the A3's are supposed to have 4" frames and not 3" frames according to the USA manuals. The frame under your A3 box seems to be the same size as the frame under the A2 next to it.

JPK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles