Dodge Ram 2500

RusherRacing

Adventurer

DSC_2844 by Rusher Racing, on Flickr

DSC_2843 by Rusher Racing, on Flickr

The ujoints are being changed but I am not sure with what. No Spicers locally so they went with precision I believe. I told them to get the best sealed available.

I am also having them put Schaeffer Oil in the transmission and front and rear diffs. Change the Trans Filter, and engine oil and filter (rotella t or valvoline in the motor) I am going to change the engine oil again in 3k miles so I am just flushing it for now.

Still haven't found a baldwin fuel filter but hopefully I can get that taken care of tomorrow.

goranvolvo

Observer
When you do Trans Filter do band adjustments to at same time, check the water pump for leak, and look under the engine for antifreeze leak, spray some oil in you doors so it does not rust on the bottom
Check, trailer signal lights known problem but easy to fix, change brake fluid …

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Well the great deal of the truck might not quite be such a good deal. The ujoints were so bad they took out some other items. Looks like a Driveshaft Yoke and cracked adapter plate between the transmission and transfer case. Hopefully thats all!

But the worst part is I have to drive my car (lowered C5 z06) on horrible gravel roads until its fixed!

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Wow what a headache. Still not driving this thing yet. Serious issue getting parts.

OD housing came in from Goerend. The drive shaft was sent out to have a new yoke welded on - the place didn't have the yoke so that had to be ordered....

Well all parts are here and its going back together. Last I heard the mechanic was having issues getting the OD housing into place. It is hanging up on something. - any tips i can give him so I can get my truck back today?

I also located a set of Dunlops 315/70/17 Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction Tires (900 miles on them) on factory Alloys painted black! and I have a lead for a used topper.

Hopefully this thing starts coming together quickly.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Finally got it back and took it for a little spin down a minimum maintence lake access point close to my house. The road is completely washed out and I wasn't able to make it to the lake.

It was a nice day yesterday. upper 70's - but strong winds. Good day to go exploring.

Dodge Ram by Rusher Racing, on Flickr

I did learn the truck doesn't have the limited slip rear diff. and almost got stuck between some ruts. I had to give it a little run, I could have probably air'd down but thought it was easier just to use the right pedal and a few feet to get a little speed.

I had big plans for the truck but with all the little issues, and everything I want to upgrade. I might be better off selling this one and getting something that suits my needs better. (Dodge Power Wagon) We will see. I am going to drive it for the next few weeks to see if it grows on me or not. Do some more maintence (brakes, windshield). But I won't start dropping serious cash for custom sliders, topper etc until I know I want to keep it.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Well dodge did have some quality issues around this time.
But every brand has a weak spot somewhere. I currently own a ford, chevy and now a dodge.

Halligan

Adventurer
I've owned Ford and Dodges and I prefer the Dodge. I had replaced my 2004 Cummins/2500 with a 2008 Ford and I regretted it from the day I made the switch. This may sound silly but the only reason I went with Ford was because the 3rd gen Dodges were equipped with the most uncomfortable seats made. I swear they were a torture device. Now I know everyones hind quarters are different and this is a debateable topic but I hated the seats and others have agreed with me. Plus, a little bit of me wanted to try a Superduty to see what all the hype was about. After having that turd in the shop more than my previous 3 Dodges I traded it on my current 2010. And yes, the seat is very comfy.

Heres my 2004 Ram, 2008 F350, and my current 2010 Ram.

BTW, I would keep the Cummins. Mine was the 305/555HO and I think it was the best Cummins in a 3rd gen. Zero emission crap to deal with. Get gauges and address the fuel pump and your golden.

Attachments

• DSCN0378 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0378 (1024x768).jpg
    383 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1942 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN1942 (1024x768).jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 351 (1024x768).jpg
    351 (1024x768).jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 46

RusherRacing

Adventurer
It already has the updated transfer pump conversion done. But I believe I have a leaky injector. I need to put a few more miles on it before I test the oil.

Also, it has to go back to the shop that fixed the O/D housing as it has good leak between the OD housing and the transmission now and I still have a mechanical vibration (not tires) around 70mph.

Halligan

Adventurer
It already has the updated transfer pump conversion done. But I believe I have a leaky injector. I need to put a few more miles on it before I test the oil.

Also, it has to go back to the shop that fixed the O/D housing as it has good leak between the OD housing and the transmission now and I still have a mechanical vibration (not tires) around 70mph.

I'm not sure what kind of vibration you have but I'll throw this out there. On my 2004 there was a TSB for a buzz/vibration in the steering wheel. The cure was to change out one of the power steering hoses under the hood to a weighted hose which eliminated that issue.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Well after much heartache and headaches I have opted to wholesale this to the local dealership. I will make some money in the process but this wasn't the right vehicle for me.

It was bad omen or something. Still needs $1500-$2000 dollars worth of work and maintence. The tow truck driver dropped it and sent it rolling into a suburban... The dealership says I would need to cut of the ujoints and replace them with CV's to eliminate the vibration.

Looking 3 "suburbans" this weekend. Actually 03 Denali XL, 05 Yukon XL (SLT), and an 05 Escalade ESV... They are not as "tough" but should have alot less issues with the small stuff, its the small stuff that drives me nuts about a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne