Bear Proof Trailer?

jkce72

Observer
Hi everyone, I'm new here but thought I'd add my .02 cents. I live in Idaho , and agree with Smoky Mt. If your in the backcountry and keep a clean camp you'll probably never see a bear. The bears that are the biggest problems are the ones that have discovered food in the populated campgrounds. Bear proof containers and pepper spray can be handy in bear country though.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Just so Bill doesn't have to say it again - PORTABLE BEAR FENCE!! Runs off of your battery (doesn't pull more than your Engel).
I am told they work really well - but I'll let Bill chime in again! : )

D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Or just get an electric bear fence. :sombrero:

I have a friend that did predator/prey relationship studies during one of his degrees (multiple phd guy).
He said to sprinkle pee (I'm not making this up) at a fairly high level on things. Bears mark their territory; big bears pee high, big predators pee high, high pisser wins and little pissers walk away...
Worth a shot anyhow. If for nothing else, it will give your wife ammunition to make fun of you for quite some time.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Or just get an electric bear fence. :sombrero:

I have a friend that did predator/prey relationship studies during one of his degrees (multiple phd guy).
He said to sprinkle pee (I'm not making this up) at a fairly high level on things. Bears mark their territory; big bears pee high, big predators pee high, high pisser wins and litter pissers walk away...
Worth a shot anyhow. If for nothing else, it will give your wife ammunition to make fun of you for quite some time.

My boys would love to try this theory out.:bike_rider: Mom not too thrilled.

STREGA

Explorer
Was in Yellowstone/Teton in summer '09, used the bear box for the non perishable food and left the perishables in the fridge in the back of the FJ. As someone else mentioned keeping a clean camp is one of the best thing you can do to prevent bear problems, I've heard the fence thing works well also but I personally haven't tried it. Sleeping over your food supply might not be a very good idea.

Also you asked about 4x4 trails/backcountry camping in the parks, I don't think they allow it inside the parks, there is alot of hiking/backcountry camping.

NOCIBUR

Oh, and if anyone has any nice 4x4 trail/campsite suggestions for the Parks I would love to hear them as I know off road opportunities are slim in these NPs.

We spend a couple weeks in that area each summer. There are no 4x4 trails in either park. I would recommend Lizard Creek Campground in the Teton's and Slough Creek in Yellowstone. Both are smaller campgrounds in "off the beaten path" parts of both parks.

JPK

Explorer
On an Alaskan hunting forum I read about the electric fence. Apparently often used and highly regarded. The hunters hang or box their food away from camp and use the electric fence around their tents, since the fear is being the bear food.

I read one report from two guys who had hunted on Kodiak Island, the author reported that the bears - Grizzlies - came every night but never crossed the fence.

JPK

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Anything about a trailer a bear can't get into? I'm thinking an M-105 with a plate steel with steel bars over the edges and about 4 security locks.

I have also heard that some use an electrical fence!

Wonder if a motion sensor hooked to a recorder and your PA speaker would work? Put growling dogs on a tape, maybe some lion roars, a few gun shots and then a screaming mother-in-law! That should keep anything out of your camp!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Rub yourself with bacon, put a couple strips over your eyes for a sleep mask, throw a couple more in the bottom of your sleeping bag and the bears will leave all the food in the trailer alone.:elkgrin:

My dad kept bees for years when I was a kid in black bear country and all the hives he had out in the country had electric fences around them. The bears seemed to leave the hives alone that were electrified but sure liked the ones that weren't. Of course any electric fence you have that is portable isn't going to stop a determined bear but it will keep a curious one away and 99.999999% of bears fit the curious catergory.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
battery operated fences

Rub yourself with bacon, put a couple strips over your eyes for a sleep mask, throw a couple more in the bottom of your sleeping bag and the bears will leave all the food in the trailer alone.:elkgrin:

My dad kept bees for years when I was a kid in black bear country and all the hives he had out in the country had electric fences around them. The bears seemed to leave the hives alone that were electrified but sure liked the ones that weren't. Of course any electric fence you have that is portable isn't going to stop a determined bear but it will keep a curious one away and 99.999999% of bears fit the curious catergory.

I recognize cattle don't have claws and meat-eating habits but we ol' cowboys have been using 12v battery-operated "Hot" fences to hold HERDS of cattle in and out of corn fields and the like for years and years. Even coyotes don't like electric fences. Having worked and lived in interior Alaska (pipe-line days), I know that bears and wolverines do whatever they chose. Whenever THEY chose. Urine, feces or not. Polar bears are the worse of the bunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior