Hot Water Systems - Eccotemp L5 v's Zodi X-40

Minx

I'm looking for a camping hot water system for washing up, doing dishes and for showers. I've narrowed it down to the Eccotemp L5 or the Zodi X-40. Does anyone have experience between the two? Temperature adjustment is important. I will also buy a quality variable waterpump instead of what may come with the systems.

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Eccotemp L5 Tankless Demand Camping Water Heater

EccotempL5TanklessDemandCampingWaterHeater.jpg

Zodi X-40 Outfitter Water Heater

ZodiX-40OutfitterWaterHeater.jpg

Uticon

Adventurer
Id go with the Eccotemp unit.
The biggest issue i have with Zodi is the water gets dangerously hot when not circulating.
The Eccotemp shuts the burner off unless there is demand for water.
We have one for a large group camping trip we do every year and we use water from the lake so you can literally have a nice hot shower as long as you have battery power and propane.

Minx

Id go with the Eccotemp unit.
The biggest issue i have with Zodi is the water gets dangerously hot when not circulating.
The Eccotemp shuts the burner off unless there is demand for water.
We have one for a large group camping trip we do every year and we use water from the lake so you can literally have a nice hot shower as long as you have battery power and propane.

Thank you for your advice. I was concerned about the water getting too hot but didn't know to what extent or if you could turn the heat down. We won't have water circulating except when washing up or showering.
Have you used the Eccotemp or just the Zodi?

Minx

I have eliminated the Zodi X-40 as you cannot turn off the water circulation without damaging the unit.

I came across a similar unit to the Eccotemp, the Camp Chef Triton Hot Water Heater. It seems to have good reviews but they can be bias at times. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Camp Chef Triton Hot Water Heater

CampChefTritonHotWaterHeater.jpg

timber

Adventurer
I have been using a Eccotemp for just over 4 years now and it still works great. As you see in the pic I bolted a small 2or3 gpm pump right to the cover and just plug it into a battery pack along with the Propane connection and your ready to go. Most all the small marine or rv pumps have a integral pressure switch and as you turn the waterflow on and off at the head the pump runs accordingly. I have found for showering I just stick the suction hose and the head into a 5 gal. can and let it recirculate for 3 or 4 min on high and that's plenty for a couple good almost too hot showers. For washing dishes or rinsing stuff off I just run it right thru with the flow turned down and its steamy hot but that is all adjustable too.
After I'm done I just wind up the hoses and cord and lay it flat in the bottom of an Action Packer with the Pett toilet and whatever else fits in there.
Honestly I didn't think it would make it for a season or two but It has been run a bunch and always works! Last year at Bonneville for Speedweek I had 5-6 people a night taking showers for a 6 days, Just tell them to bring there own water can!

Heater.jpg

Hafwit

Adventurer
Note that there are many manufacturers for these. Look up "portable tankless water heater" and you will find many.

Cheers,
Greg

haplo32

You can't go wrong with the Eccotemp L5.
When comparing with the Zodi X-40 the first thing that comes to mind is the price difference. The Zodi X-40 is about 4 times the cost of an Eccotemp L5 and as most people mentioned the Eccotemp L5 is durable and does everything you want it to do like showering and washing the dishes.

WorkNBedrock

Eccotemp or Triton Camp Chef get Quikker Connectors so easy

I'm looking for a camping hot water system for washing up, doing dishes and for showers. I've narrowed it down to the Eccotemp L5 or the Zodi X-40. Does anyone have experience between the two? Temperature adjustment is important. I will also buy a quality variable waterpump instead of what may come with the systems.

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Eccotemp L5 Tankless Demand Camping Water Heater

EccotempL5TanklessDemandCampingWaterHeater.jpg

Zodi X-40 Outfitter Water Heater

ZodiX-40OutfitterWaterHeater.jpg

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I saw your question and thought I'd share a product I use with my Triton Camp Chef. It's called Quikker Connectors and they work on Eccotemp L5, L10 or Tritons. Anyway using them allows me to connect my water source in a second and I can change between the shower head or somthing else like a spray nozzle in just a second. I love the fact I don't have to twist and tighten the hoses anymore. There sold at Campingshowerworld and Ebay. I have a video on youtube using Quikker Connectors.
Great product I have been telling everyone about it.

Take CareQuikker Connectors 3.jpgQuikker Connectors 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz