Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hauling trailer through soft sand

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    90

    Default hauling trailer through soft sand

    I'm planning a trip to the National Seashore in TX and there is a 4WD only area that I've traversed before without issue. It is very soft sand that you can feel your vehicle sliding around on. I aired down and though I would spin tires on take off, never really felt like I was getting stuck. However, I wasn't hauling my trailer. I'm not sure what the effect of my AT will be. Anyone with experience doing this?
    '05 4Runner 4WD
    Horizon Adventure Trailer


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,148
    You can always put on a old pair of ski's instead of your tires...that wil do the trick

    ......J/K...(couldn't hold myself back on that one)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texan in Denver
    Posts
    2,387

    Default National Seashore Planned Adventure

    No experience with the AT; however, I did want to let you know that some of us are planning a trip there the weekend of June 22-24.

    Here's the thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=5859.

    In what part of TX are you based?
    2001 Mitsubishi Montero
    2005 AT Horizon Trailer
    My Montero Thread

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    606
    Air down as much as you can stand, and take some "sand ladders". ! minor tip, If at all possible coast to a stop. it will prevent making sand berms in front of the tires, that have to be overcome when taking off. hug the water line a little more and avoid the deep powder when possible, if you're really bogging pour a bit of that beach water on the sand to firm it up. make a couple track to take off on, for about 10 ft.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by PhulesAU
    Air down as much as you can stand, and take some "sand ladders". ! minor tip, If at all possible coast to a stop. it will prevent making sand berms in front of the tires, that have to be overcome when taking off. hug the water line a little more and avoid the deep powder when possible, if you're really bogging pour a bit of that beach water on the sand to firm it up. make a couple track to take off on, for about 10 ft.

    Very helpful, thanks. Any recommendations on sand ladders welcomed.
    '05 4Runner 4WD
    Horizon Adventure Trailer


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Willman
    You can always put on a old pair of ski's instead of your tires...that wil do the trick

    ......J/K...(couldn't hold myself back on that one)
    Don't tempt me.
    '05 4Runner 4WD
    Horizon Adventure Trailer


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by tdesanto
    No experience with the AT; however, I did want to let you know that some of us are planning a trip there the weekend of June 22-24.

    Here's the thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=5859.

    In what part of TX are you based?
    In Austin.

    Thanks for the invite. We're fairly tied to the date, but otherwise we would join you. Especially interested in family-oriented activities since our 5 & 7 year olds are a big part of our passion for the outdoors.
    '05 4Runner 4WD
    Horizon Adventure Trailer


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tampa,Florida
    Posts
    2,028
    If your runner has a rear locker you have nothing to worry about. I puled much heavier campa on many a mile of baja beach sand/gravel and had no issues. Just don't stomp on it let it crawl you will be fine.. Some rolls of indoor outdoor carpet are great in the dans. They fit tightly in the trailer and if you place a section ofrope with a clip on the end that attaches to the trailer you will just drag them along once you get unstuck so you do not have to walk back for them.

    Have fun!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Prescott, AZ, USA
    Posts
    4,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows
    I'm planning a trip to the National Seashore in TX and there is a 4WD only area that I've traversed before without issue. It is very soft sand that you can feel your vehicle sliding around on. I aired down and though I would spin tires on take off, never really felt like I was getting stuck. However, I wasn't hauling my trailer. I'm not sure what the effect of my AT will be. Anyone with experience doing this?
    I've towed through the Namib desert and Kalahari. The trailer tire air down isn't as important as the vehicle air down as the trailer weighs less and isn't providing traction.

    The trailer tends to float on the surface especially as it's traveling over just compacted sand.

    At the same time doesn't hurt to air down the trailer tires as well but it will increase rolling resistance.

    On long deep sand stretches we'd go into 4WD low and work our way through the gears. If you're in 4WD high and start to loose speed and traction you just don't have enough gears to go through to keep going. Once you are stopped it's all over.

    None of this advice has any scientific backing, just years of painful experience behind it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    606
    Now that I shoot my mouth off, I can't find the thread. 1x1" fiber glass grate, or Marston mat. Or you can really cheap it. 1' x 3' sheet of corrigated sheet metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •