2001 Chevy Silverado Rock Sliders

I've been doing some serious offroading for a while now, and when me and some buddies decided to go on an offroading trip this past spring break, I decided it was time for some rock sliders. 3" Bodylift was done a few months ago to give me some more clearance after the sliders were on.

I took measurements and such and decided that I'd like to bolt on my rock sliders. I did this for two reasons. 1) I'm not comfortable welding to my frame (though in hindsight this was stupid), and 2) I need to fix some rocker damage I have gotten from previous offroading trips, but will need to take the sliders off to do so.

Thanks to the tremendous help from Ian @ Backyard Fabrication, and many tedious hours getting these sliders mocked up, I finally got them completely welded a week before the trip. Drilling the holes in the frame pretty much took the rest of the week.

Total materials cost was about $110 for steel (STEEL PRICES ARE INSANELY HIGH HERE), $30 for gr8 nuts/bolts/washers, $10 for spray paint/chop saw blades, and a fair amount of welding wire. The material is 2"x3"x0.125" HREW rectangular tubing and the mounting plates are 1/4" steel. Eventually when I do the round step/rub bars that protrude from the side, they will be done with 1.625" 1/8" wall round tubing (got it super-cheap from a friend - < $20/stick).

Anyway - here's the pix!

Mocked Up:

Finally done!!

Proof that they hold the weight of the truck. I can attest to the fact that they will support the truck when coming down on them hard - happened a couple times during their maiden trip.

Broke a CV the first hour offroading the night before, right after setting up camp. Ended up in a pair of ruts with the IFS at full droop and steering wheel turned. My ************** mistake. Fixing the truck on buddy's trailer made the ordeal a LOT less muddy.

As I mentioned, I plan on adding some 1.625" round tube that extends from the sliders, but there wasn't really time before the offroading trip so these held up fine.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks to me like everything is holding up just fine. Where would you mount the round tubing? Underneath the existing sliders or on the outside? Anyways, good job on the fabrication and keep those pics coming...:victory:

roostercruiser

Adventurer
Sliders were the first thing I was gonna have done. still haven't done it. Now my body is beat up.and my doors r hard to open. I have the steel 40/80 strength. I like your blue Chevy and sliders look good.

Looks to me like everything is holding up just fine. Where would you mount the round tubing? Underneath the existing sliders or on the outside? Anyways, good job on the fabrication and keep those pics coming...:victory:

I'm planning on mounting it on the very outside. It should look something like this (I wish the rest of the truck did too lol):

Trailer01002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles