A different Croatia...

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I agree with Nikolaj on moving on and feeling safe in Croatia. I was there both in 92 and in 2002. When I returned in 2002, I fell in love with the place and it's people. It was amazing what they had managed to do to rebuild the country. The pride and love for their country was outstanding. I hadn't felt something like that in all my travels. I felt safer there than I did in Switzerland. Truly fell in love with the place and it's people.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Alas, now we've fallen into the usual trap of bringing up a 20 year old conflict in a topic about a modern european country. Most Serbs, Croats and Bosnians want to move on - its not fair that us foreigners bring up this subject everytime these countries get mentioned. War is over now and I can honestly say that these countries are some of the safest places I have ever travelled. I am more afraid of walking home alone friday night in my birth town in Denmark with 25.000 people than I am walking home alone in Zagreb, the capital of Croatia.

For me it's not about safety. I like history, and one of my best friends a few decades ago was Yugoslav - so I have just a genuine interest.

Still, the countries all have a lot of problems with corrupt politicians and poor economy and the people are too apathetic to do anything about it...I think its a leftover from communist times.

Sounds like the U.S., but we can't even claim it's a leftover from previous times... :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Watched the first installment of the BBC series.

The one thing I noticed right off is that they spent exactly zero time examining whether or not the Kosovan Serbs complaints against the Albanians were true.

Not knowing myself if the complaints are true or not, I would think that it would be an important question. But nothing. Zero, ziltch, nada.

It's such a glaring oversight that if the other installments in the series contain similarly obvious omissions, then I can certainly see where accusations of bias could come from.

getoutside

Observer
I am avery late comer to this thread but Plitvice LAkes NAtional Park has to be one of the most gorgeous places I have evr been to. Take the les used trails for photographers around the south east corner for a less crowded experience. Also stay outside of gate three and hit the park early in the morning and late in the evening to see the more visited areas with less crowds. Plus you can walk right in the least used gate and avoid all the people moving to and from the major parking lots. We stayed in a perfect little guest house called Villa Plitvica, it was fantastic. The food is good, the people are nice, and your money goes a long way. Also if you stay at Villa Plitvica you can even buy a great bottle of homemade plum schnapps from the owners.

Morgan

Allrounder

While in Croatia, if you want to use your 4WD, don't miss Velebit mountains. They are between Plitvice National Park and Adriatic coast. Full of nice scenic and unpaved roads, a lot of trail runs, nice spots with view, some old Yugoslav army places and much more.

Kind regards
Allrounder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles