Extended Cab Storage Box/Dog Platform Ideas

teleturns

Adventurer
I need some help....I am wanting to build a lockable storage box in the extended cab portion of my W-250. I also want the top of the box to be suitable for my dogs to ride on. I have done several searches without much luck on finding other examples.

Wanted Features

Lockable

Padded on the top

I must be able to assemble it in the truck. There is no way I can try to put it in the truck after it is built.

Any thoughts? Or have you seen anyone build something similar?

Let me know

Thanks

waynemaple

Observer
The set up I use for the mutts consists of half inch (1/2") cdx plywood for the deck,3/4" plywood for the frame, with piano hinges and a two door opening that when the door is closed looks like the floor. I've invested about $30 dollars total into this project. The carpet is marine/auto carpet from NAPA, with Reflictix between the carpet and plywood bottom for padding. The carpet is wrapped and streched around the base with glue and staples to hold it together. I can store all my recovery gear ( Hi-lift jack, shovel, first aid, tow straps,etc...) under this shelf. With room for the dog bowls and leashes and loose stuff. It does not lock but looks factory installed. There is a way to make this lockable, I just figure the Akita mixes do a good job of security when there in the truck. And locks only keep honest people out anyways. This unit is easy to remove, but was made in the truck. I used a template to mold the deck to the curves in the truck.

Attachments

• Dog Seat open.jpg
    Dog Seat open.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 74

teleturns

Adventurer
The set up I use for the mutts consists of half inch (1/2") cdx plywood for the deck,3/4" plywood for the frame, with piano hinges and a two door opening that when the door is closed looks like the floor. I've invested about $30 dollars total into this project. The carpet is marine/auto carpet from NAPA, with Reflictix between the carpet and plywood bottom for padding. The carpet is wrapped and streched around the base with glue and staples to hold it together. I can store all my recovery gear ( Hi-lift jack, shovel, first aid, tow straps,etc...) under this shelf. With room for the dog bowls and leashes and loose stuff. It does not lock but looks factory installed. There is a way to make this lockable, I just figure the Akita mixes do a good job of security when there in the truck. And locks only keep honest people out anyways. This unit is easy to remove, but was made in the truck. I used a template to mold the deck to the curves in the truck.

Looks great! Yeah I dont know if I really need locks. But if I had suicide doors this project would be a lot easier.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online