Hellla light install questions...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
OK, so I installed my blue sea 6 position fuse block and a set of hella lights tonight. lights are NICE! I think it'll add a great deal of visibility to my early morning commute and for finding a campsite at night.

Pretty involved installation, but not too difficult at all. I am left with a question, though:

1. You are told to draw power off the battery (1 blueSea fuse block position) to go into the relay thats included in the hella kit.

2. You are then told to power the switch in the cab via one of those blue wire splice thingy's to put power to the switch to fire the relay...right? What I did was simply run that power source to another position on the blue sea block for now...is this alright?

The 2 possible problems I see are:

-I could possibly leave the lights on when I park the car and drain the battery since they're always hot.

-I'm using two of my fused positions. I'm thinking that if I splice into the cig lighter or running lights, the theory is that I can piggyback on one of the factory fused circuits, since the amp draw to fire the relay should be very small. (If it's not a big deal though, I don't mind having only four positions left...)

If I splice into something that is switched with the key like the cigarette lighter, I would have had to dig pretty deep into the dash tonight, but it might be worth the effort to resolve the two issues I identified...

...thoughts?

I'll admit, I'm not very "electrically" savvy, so I thought I should mention it to the 12v guru's. :)

wjeeper

First off if you used the blue wire tap thingy I strongly suggest you replace it with something else........they just fail too often (even in a dry location) IMO. Those little buggers are rampant in the trailer building industry and were constantly a source of grief! I hate them with a fiery passion.

I would wire the switch to a power that is only "hot" when the ignition is turned on. As you mentioned before it would prevent accidently leaving it on. The wire that trips the relay has very little power that runs through it, so piggybacking it to another circut is just fine.

Its been awhile since I have installed lights but if I recall hella wants you to tap into the high beams so that the AUX lights can only be switched on once the high beams are on.......

When I install lights on vehicles I just tap into the high beams, then whenever the high beams are on the AUX lights are too. I like it that way.......its especially easy for blinding ********-holes :elkgrin:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I tossed the wire tap in the trash. I'm wired into one of my blue sea positions with a crimped full circle wire terminal-thng...

thanks for the info above...if a possible dead battery is the only downside, I might just leave it be for the time-being until I can find a good, switched power source. I couldn't find any within reach with my test light.

Maybe I just need to pull my headlight outa the bucket? Is it that simple? (lol..I told you I'm a simpleton. :))

corax

Explorer
It could be that simple, but you should be able to just pull off the steering column cover to find a high-beam wire. Follow the wires coming off the Hi/Lo beam switch and follow them to the first connector that you can get your test light into (or a safety pin so you don't deform the connector)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles