Italian UNIMOG Camper construction

smontic

Observer
Hi All,

I have read this forum for many days and now I try to export to all my camper transformation.

The base is a UNIMOG 1300 L ex German Army with 50K kilometer on his engine. The engine is an OM366 Turbo with 130 HP and the last engine service I tink that was due in the 2005.
In the origin it was an ambulance (model KrKw) with two service battery and an air eather made by eberspacher.

I want to use the original cab for make it suitable for living so I have lifted by 35 cm.

Now I'm working on the inside, I have to make the living space with marine plywood and make all the electrical part.

Here some picture and description - sorry it's Italian :coffeedrink:

You have some suggestion for me? Specially in the mechanic part.
Thanks

http://www.advrider.it/unimog/

IMG_8598.jpg

:coffeedrink:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ciao! Welcome to the ExPo forum!

Nice truck, I like it! Good electric system.

But the solar... maybe not good.

You say you wire pannelli in series? That's good if both panelli get sun together. Not good for only one getting sun. And with Kamille, the panels don't lay flat - so they never get sun together.

Wire parallel is better for Kamille I think. Can one panel solo charge 24v? Or only 12v?

Ciao!

Last edited:

smontic

Observer
Ciao! Welcome to the ExPo forum!

Nice truck, I like it! Good electric system.

But the solar... maybe not good.

You say you wire pannelli in series? That's good if both panelli get sun together. Not good for only one getting sun. And with Kamille, the panels don't lay flat - so they never get sun together.

Wire parallel is better for Kamille I think. Can one panel solo charge 24v? Or only 12v?

Ciao!

Hi Dwh, thanks for reading :)
Probably you are right. My system is 24 Volt and the Canadian Solar panels have only a 12V output. So I need to put it in serie (serial in English ???) to get the 24 Volt that I need. I hope that i can get not the full power but probably the 40 Watt that I need to power the fridge.
In future, when I have much money in my hand I can put other two pannels to optimize the system :wings:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So I need to put it in serie (serial in English ???)

In the US we say "series" to talk about wiring. "Serial" we use to talk about communications - like a computer "serial port".

When we put solar panels or batteries in series, we call that a "series string".

I don't know about the UK, their English is strange. :ylsmoke:

to get the 24 Volt that I need. I hope that i can get not the full power but probably the 40 Watt that I need to power the fridge.

Yes...maybe.

I think you are going to have a problem with total voltage that is below 24v when one panel is not in the sun.

But I'm interested in the experiment to see what happens.

I place my bet that you have to move one panel so both are on the same side of the cabin to get sun together. I bet one cup of moka. :D

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi Smontic - great to see another Unimog camper on the forum. I'm also build a camper - but since Unimogs are rare here in Australia ( at least until the Australian Army sell all of their Unimogs) I started with a U1250 and have built every thing from scratch, and fully overhauled everything.

Looks like you started with a great truck, and you are progressing really fast - mine has been in progress for just short of 2 years now.

Drop me a PM if you want any info or if there is anything I can help you with.

Iain

smontic

Observer
I think you are going to have a problem with total voltage that is below 24v when one panel is not in the sun.

The only way to know if you are right is to test the system. I try to put the truck on the sun in the next week, now is too difficult to move it.

My fear is that if they not work I have to put the two panels on the same side but after that they work only when I put the truck in front of the sun. NOT GOOD!!! :Wow1:

I place my bet that you have to move one panel so both are on the same side of the cabin to get sun together. I bet one cup of moka. :D

Ok! I accept your beat :coffeedrink:

smontic

Observer
Hi Smontic - great to see another Unimog camper on the forum. I'm also build a camper - but since Unimogs are rare here in Australia ( at least until the Australian Army sell all of their Unimogs) I started with a U1250 and have built every thing from scratch, and fully overhauled everything.

Looks like you started with a great truck, and you are progressing really fast - mine has been in progress for just short of 2 years now.

Drop me a PM if you want any info or if there is anything I can help you with.

Iain

I Iain,
I have read you thread many, many, many times, your work is my bible! :victory:
I work fast because I want to travel with the truck at the end of this year. My project is to try my MOG in a sahara travel in the south of Morocco and after that I want to plan a bigger trip in center Africa.
I'm not an expert in the camper world and I haven't a car, I ride only motorcycle and so for me this project is really difficult.
Probably in a first stage I will make many mistakes but after the first use I hope to put all the thing in the right way :sombrero:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi, my plans are also to have my truck ready by the end of the year - but then I said that last year as well :)

I have a similar problem to you in regards the solar panels, but I managed to find panels that are 537 x 1209mm which just fit on my roof. I plan to fit four to them - two on each side so that no matter which way I park the truck - one side should be in a good position to get max charge.

BP 80w Solar Panel

I have not been taking any photos lately of my progress - I've mainly been working on the slow detail stuff, but I have taken a whole load this weekend and will update the thread soon.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for the update - looks like things are progressing nicely. Keep up with the progress report, can't wait to see how thing progress. You guys are doing things so fast - you only started at the begining of the year, and you are already ahead of my build. Are you working full time on it?

My camper box goes off to the boat builder for the interior fit out in two weeks - I have to install the wiring into the conduits and finish the entrance door/shower area before it goes - but I am travelling a lot more for work lately and have not been able to get much done on the evenings and weekends like I used to. I have also been preparing my Land Rover for a 5000km trip up to Cape York early next month - it should have been in my Mog , but I ran out of time :( .

Good idea about the internal air circulation of the fridge - I've been trying to figure out how to make mine work without having an opening to the outside - over here we get "bulldust" - which is a fine talcum powder type dust which builds up on the vehicles and basically gets into every opening. Caravans with fridge ventilation to the outside often end up with a build up of dust behind the fridge - one traveller told me that his fridge stopped working one day as a result of the entire motor compartment being completely blocked up with dust.

Attachments

• Cape-York.jpg
    Cape-York.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

MultiSmog

Closed loop

Hola Iain:

Use a closed loop cooling focus by using a heat sink to the outside, you already have a huge radiator outside: your camper skin. Use a very large finned plate attached to the skin on the inside, encase it on three sides, except top and bottom so it works as a thermo-syphon so you do not need a fan. Obviously place the fins top to bottom, not sideways. You will have to avoid insulation in that area. Fridge, heatsink.jpg

Saludos
Roberto

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles