Italian UNIMOG Camper construction

smontic

Observer
Hi Ian,

Thanks for watching my progress.
In the last weeks we work a lot on the electrics because we want to try the MOG in Morocco next winter.
IMG_9258.jpg

http://www.advrider.it/unimog/archives/373

I have spent many hours working on my webasto dualtop that I have mounted on the interior of the cabin.
IMG_9143.jpg

http://www.advrider.it/unimog/archives/560

In the next days I want to mount two seats with air suspension, but really I don't know where I can take the air for that. I need some help regarding this issue because really i'm not a mechanic so I don't want to brake something.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I think the easiest place to tap into the air line would be the circuit for the diff lock / 4wd control that is in the centre gear nest. It would be easy to run the lines up through the gear nest, but you would have to disconnect them each time you tilt the cab, which is not really a big deal.

To do it properly, you need to run the airline all the way to the front and follow the route the air lines the brakes takes.

smontic

Observer
Hi Ian, thanks for your help!
I need a low pressure air injection ( I think 0,6 bar ) so I'have see that there is an air tap under the cabin that is useful for this application. It's ready, i need only a T piece for taking the air.

smontic

Observer
I don't have any workshop manual, and also any user manual.... can somene tell-me the procedure to check the engine oil and also what kind of oil I need for: Engine, redcutors, differential and other?
many thanks!!! :ylsmoke:

smontic

Observer
Hi Charlie,

thanks for your response. did you know the difference between 228.3 and 228.5 oils? for me it's not so clear! :Wow1:
Simone

For the motor on a 1300 a 228.3 oil should be sufficient. 228.5s are synthetic more or less and meet more stringent test requirements.
A 300 series motor (yours) can actually use a 228.1 oil, as can my 906 since it is only Euro III.
More specifically, 228.1 meets the old ACEA E2, 228.3 meets old ACEA E3 and 228.5 meets current ACEA E4, all with some additional MB tests. SOME but not all 228.3s also meet current ACEA E7, with some additional tests.

Charlie

smontic

Observer
Hi all,

after many days of job, finally I have tested my unimog in Morocco.

D30_2299.JPG

The camper is not finished, I have to work on the interior and also on the cabin, but now it's working

D30_2502.JPG

Driving the truck on the desert after one year of work it was really nice, and all works correctly

D70_2321.JPG

Now I have to work on the cabin, I have to paint it. And I have to build some exterior box to substitute the originals that are too smaller .

D70_2025.JPG

I want also work on the suspension because the rear of the truck with the original springs is too soft.

D30_2660.JPG

Me and Lucia are very happy of the work, so we are ready to start for the next adventure!

Here http://www.advrider.it/archives/2916 you can find other photos!

Attachments

• D30_2299.JPG
    D30_2299.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 25
Looks like fun! I wish we were there.
Were you in Morocco recently in the winter? What were the temperatures? When we were there in the desert in July it was up to 45C.

Charlie

smontic

Observer
Looks like fun! I wish we were there.
Were you in Morocco recently in the winter? What were the temperatures? When we were there in the desert in July it was up to 45C.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I start my trip in December and I come back at home the second week of January. In the desert it's cold in the morning 2/5 °C in the afternoon we get 20/25 °C. I think this is one of the best period to stay in the desert, but it's impossible to go on the Atlas because there is snow.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for sharing the video - makes me what to drive my Mog even more. YOu did a great job on the truck in suh a short time, hopefully my first trip goes as well as your has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles