Italian UNIMOG Camper construction

smontic

Observer
Good thing it's only a small tire. :D

The interior wood looks great. I like the sink.

How's the solar doing?

Hi Dwh!
I have to perform some measurement, but for now I have see that i can take up of 2 Amps from the panels at 24 Volts. I have see this charging value at 9 AM in a not so sunny day.

Euro6

Hello Smontic,

we were in Corsica during last two weeks, and even placed under the chassis of your Mog, I have recognized the famous 12 Km long Saleccia tracks in the desert of Agriates, north of the island, isn't it ?

Congratulations for the great work you did on your loveable truck !

smontic

Observer
Hello Smontic,

we were in Corsica during last two weeks, and even placed under the chassis of your Mog, I have recognized the famous 12 Km long Saleccia tracks in the desert of Agriates, north of the island, isn't it ?

Congratulations for the great work you did on your loveable truck !

Hi Euro6, you are absolutly right! :) Corsica is really a special world for travellers!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Now we know what the bugs see for their last few moments when they get splattered over the bash plate/bumper.

Hi guys, take your time to watch this lazy video :ylsmoke:
:wings:

How did you mount the camera - once it came loose it looks like it was quite a distance in front of the truck

smontic

Observer
Now we know what the bugs see for their last few moments when they get splattered over the bash plate/bumper.

:bike_rider:

How did you mount the camera - once it came loose it looks like it was quite a distance in front of the truck

The camera is a GOPRO HERO2. It have over 170 angle of view so it seems distant from the subject.
It's attached with the standard mounting plate with a 3M adhesive that - as you can see in the video - is not the best solution

Flat_02.jpg

After that experiment (is the first one) I have used a disinfectant for cleaning the bumper surface and it seems that now the 3M adhesive is working fine.
:wings:

p.s. Iain I have to write an update for my roff rack construction: you are absolutly right. My pipe bender is not able to bend thin pipes....

smontic

Observer
Following some new regarding our camper construction.

http://www.advrider.it/unimog/archives/870

We are trying to build a roof rack, but my pipe bender is not able to bend thin pipes.

IMG_3355.jpg

So, I try to build the roof rack without bends following the example of the unicat roof racks.

I start with the mounting plates

IMG_3357.jpg

Next I made the holes on the vertical pipe to put the 60x30mm support.

IMG_3372.jpg

Welding the roof rack is an acrobatic activity

IMG_3375.jpg

And here how appear the first result!
What do you think about that?

Oh! NO! This is my case. I've punctured the side wall with a piece of wood.
I have to start searching a new tyre. I prefer to buy used tyres because if I pay 700 Euros for a new one and after few weeks I have to put it in the trash I'm not happy!
I ask my self how it's possible!!!

Vrakking/Aircrafttyres in the Netherlands:
http://www.vrakking-tires.com/stock/12-20-inch?&p=3
Has them new for 575 euro each. Used isn't much less.
Fortunately you have 2 spares.
I carried 1 mounted spare + 2 unmounted in Australia. Only 1 place in Australia has 395/85R20 XZLs new - in Perth - $1800 each.

Charlie

Last edited:

smontic

Observer
Hi All,

Finally I have collected some videos of our Italy to kazakhstan trip with the unimog, and so this is the result

Now I have to work on the truck for adding a new fuel tank. I want to reach 800 litres for a better level of spare fuel to use in country where diesel is too much expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles