Panamint City Exploration Hike

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
panamintcity04142011195.jpg

Just got back from a hike up Surprise Cyn into Panamint City Ghost Town. I've been wanting to make this hike for a long time. Just never really been in shape to do it. Well, fret no longer.. i made a date and accomplished it whether i was ready or not. I will go ahead and pat myself on the back since #1, i don't hike hardly at all. and #2 i've never even worn a pack. Basically this was my virgin multi-day hike. Im so stoked to have made it and now im hooked and want to hike to more remote destinations. Really gives you a sense of accomplishment that you can only understand when you don't drive right up to the location.

Anyhow, here's the trip report.. enjoy.. i know i did. :wings:

http://www.adventureduo.com/2011/04/panamint-city-exploration.html

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Great story Dave, looks like a really cool trip.

Hit me up if you want to do some more hiking. South Rim to North Rim via Phantom Ranch is calling my name ;)

suntinez

Explorer
Great TR Dave - DV is so amazing, thanks for sharing this little gem with us.

Tell Chris that Buddy is my new favorite ACD, what a tough little pup :sombrero:

SLOwag

Adventurer
Nice Report. It was a good reminder that as much as we love our rigs, it"s good to backpack now and then.

I found a similar "rain device" on the Sequoia webcam. Are there any weather gurus that know how these things work?

Attachments

• sequoia web cam.jpg
    sequoia web cam.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 30

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Absolutely. And living somewhat off the earth vs.. having my fridge handy whenever i need it.

Thanks for all the great comments you guys, i know its not the typical overland/expedition type report from us.. but i figured people would like to see this place that many don't see in Death Valley.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Nice Report. It was a good reminder that as much as we love our rigs, it"s good to backpack now and then.

I found a similar "rain device" on the Sequoia webcam. Are there any weather gurus that know how these things work?

Thats probably just a rain can- tipping bucket. Could also be a belfort, device with a bucket filled with a thin layer of oil and anti freeze taking exact measure-mental increases of incoming rain. The shield around it acts as a wind barrier keeping wind speeds in friction as if the bucket was on the ground. It gets a better sampling of averages!

EDIT: It is a belfort!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Wow Dave, great adventure!! That whole area is really one of my favorite places, so much history to explore!! Thanks for sharing.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
awesome, what time when you take the pic?
I am wondering with the moon

The photo was taken in the early evening on Friday night. I dont recall exactly the time. The date was April 15th.

Wow Dave, great adventure!! That whole area is really one of my favorite places, so much history to explore!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Heidi, and thanks for all the help getting gear/dry food tips sorted.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Many Moons ago at Panamint City

How would it be taking a Mtn Bike up there now? Is there much of a road/trail to ride on?

Attachments

• VW Panamint City.jpg
    VW Panamint City.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 18

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dan, that's a great photo man.

Many Moons ago at Panamint City

How would it be taking a Mtn Bike up there now? Is there much of a road/trail to ride on?

Not really, too much brush and when it opens up its way too rocky. It's funny some people think if it ever opened to vehicles again, you could just head right up (minus the waterfall parts). Well that's not true, the brush is as tall as a single story building and takes up the entire width in many sections of the canyon. You'd need to come in a trim all that back first before getting anything through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles