Military m101/m105 owners, what are you doing to make yours expedition ready?

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
My interest has been peaked to buy an M trailer, to be towed with my superduty. My question pertains to what mods are you doing to your trailer to be expedition ready. meaning what is your setups? fridges, stoes generators, RTT's, etc

any inpiut is welcomed. thanks, Greggk

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't get a 105 trailer unless I had a big truck, a really big truck. I think even a Ford Superduty would be a little on the light side for towing it. A M101 trailer would be perfect. If you plan on changing the axle for electric brakes then you can save money by getting an older 5 lug trailer. The newer M101A2 trailers came with 8 lug wheel and surge brakes. I have one and use it as a utility trailer, it works great.

sapper

Adventurer
I used to have an M101A2 and loved it but I sold it and now wish I never did. I am trying to find another one.

I am curious to see what others have done with the M101A2 because I want to mount side bins on it with a roof rack and solid roof so I can still use it like most do for a utility duty but I want it expo ready fast when I want to use it.

I am curious if ARE DCC canopy would cover it correctly and save me time in my ideas.

MIhunter

I looked long and hard for a M101A2 for the 8 lug and truck tires. I lucked out on GL and found a M101A1 across town at the National Guard Post for $350. I did an axle swap to get rid of the large budd rims and tires. I ended up with 6 bolt hubs, 265/75/16 BFG AT's E rated and steel black rims from JEG's. Getting rid of the factory axle and tires dropped almost 300lbs off of the trailer. I opted for no trailer breaks as I didnt want them or need them. Yeah, I know but I am not rock climbing and my intended purpose for the trailer doesn't call for them.

My use for the trailer is mainly hunting trips. On the tongue, I am welding up a large basket for coolers and scepter fule/water cans. I am ditching the bows and canvas for a hard cover. I am going the fiberglass route for the cover as its way lighter that steel and sheet metal and cheaper that aluminum. On top of the hard top will be a modified full length basket for additional gear. As I move forward, I will add battery power via solar, some lead work lights on all four corners of the roof rack.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
When you get a trailer and expo it make it so you can remove the expo gear easily so you can use the trailer for dump runs, etc. This can also be a selling point if you have a better half you need to persuade too. Look at the Jumping Jack trailers for ideas of a multi purpose expo/utility trailer. If you swap axles on it you can possibly upgrade to your 8x170mm lug pattern and run the same size tires on truck and trailer so your truck spare and trailer spare are interchangeable. Might have to do a little legwork to get a trailer axle hubs with the Ford metric pattern though, most 8 lug hubs are 8x6.5. You could always run adaptors but it would be better not too.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I know this going to sound stupid to some, but, I have a diesel F-250. With the factory trailer towing kit on my truck would the M101's be plug and play for these or should I expect to take a whole new harness to pick one up?

Also are you guys taking a ball setup with you to replace the pintle loop that are on there from DOD use? If so can you shed some insight into which ones you are getting?

With the DOD issued bows and tarp, are they strong enough to hold up an RTT with people actually in them or are yall fabricating new bows for them to handle the weight?

How much of an issue is it to get these trailers registered after picking them up? Obviously the depot is giving you some kind of bill of sale for it and all, but I am worried that since I am military that I may get accused of theft. That happened to a Soldier in my Battalion when he had hummvee tires and wheels on his chevy truck. Luckily for him he had a reciept from a surplus place that sold them to him.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I know this going to sound stupid to some, but, I have a diesel F-250. With the factory trailer towing kit on my truck would the M101's be plug and play for these or should I expect to take a whole new harness to pick one up?

Also are you guys taking a ball setup with you to replace the pintle loop that are on there from DOD use? If so can you shed some insight into which ones you are getting?

With the DOD issued bows and tarp, are they strong enough to hold up an RTT with people actually in them or are yall fabricating new bows for them to handle the weight?

How much of an issue is it to get these trailers registered after picking them up? Obviously the depot is giving you some kind of bill of sale for it and all, but I am worried that since I am military that I may get accused of theft. That happened to a Soldier in my Battalion when he had hummvee tires and wheels on his chevy truck. Luckily for him he had a reciept from a surplus place that sold them to him.

For the harness I just replaced the military stuff from the junction block to the trailer plug with some 7 wire trailer harness and a civilian plug. I also put 12 volt bulbs in the taillights. The junction block should be on the left side of the trailer tongue on the inside covered by a tin shield. Either get a wiring diagram and hope your trailer wires still have the metal ID tags on them or use a DVOM set on ohms and figure out which wires go where. You should only have to worry about 4: tail, left turn/brake, right turn/brake, and ground. Civilian trailer wires are pretty easy to remember: white is ground, brown is tail, green is right, and yellow is left. My BO lights are now non-functional.

I would keep the pintle hitch on the trailer, you can get one that will go on a two inch reciever to go in your truck. This allows a little more off road twisty than a ball.

I don't know about the bows being strong enough but from my experience in the motor pool I would have my doubts they would hold a RTT with people. You could always pick up a S-250 shelter to go in the trailer and then mount your RTT to that.

If you buy the trailer off a government auction site you will be issued a SF97 which is basically a bill of sale. You then take this to your DMV and get a title and registration. If you buy it off a private party and its not already registered make sure you get the SF97 from them, it will save you a big headache. I know first hand. Make sure you have reciepts for everything you get that is painted OD or goverment surplus, just because you are on base. I think you will probably be hassled from time to time by the MP's towing an OD trailer behind a POV even if the trailer has a civy license plate on it. Keep the trailer registration and copies of the reciepts for it with the trailer for when this occurs.

This will be a nice set up for your F250 but for a Jeep or smaller SUV would probably be a little on the heavy side for much use. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles