Stove/fuel canister compatibility question

Tim A

Adventurer
Does anyone have a resource to determine if MSR and/or Snow Peak stoves will properly hook up to a Jetboil fuel canister and vice-a-versa? I'm talking about the pressurized isobutane fuel canisters, not the fuel bottles.

Thanks

Tim A

Adventurer
GeoScum, thank you for sharing your personal experience and for finding that link, good sir!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
And the smaller Snow Peak canisters have a bit more gas in them by weight and also are a buck less per cylinder here in Reno. The SP canisters work perfectly with my Jet Boil.

hikin_jim

Does anyone have a resource to determine if MSR and/or Snow Peak stoves will properly hook up to a Jetboil fuel canister and vice-a-versa? I'm talking about the pressurized isobutane fuel canisters, not the fuel bottles.

Thanks
Tim, they're all pretty interchangeable. They all use the 7/16" UNEF standard thread. The only ones you have to watch out for any more in the US are the Camping Gaz brand canister which have a valve but are not threaded and look similar. The big Coleman type 100% propane canisters aren't compatible either, but they look quite different and aren't likely to be confused.

MSR stoves on snow peak canisters:
P1090119.JPG

HJ

Salue

Adventurer
Big fan of your blog hiking jim(referenced it in previous posts here)! Probably because I'm a stove nut too!

Cheers,
Salue

Tim, they're all pretty interchangeable. They all use the 7/16" UNEF standard thread. The only ones you have to watch out for any more in the US are the Camping Gaz brand canister which have a valve but are not threaded and look similar. The big Coleman type 100% propane canisters aren't compatible either, but they look quite different and aren't likely to be confused.

MSR stoves on snow peak canisters:
P1090119.JPG

HJ

hikin_jim

Big fan of your blog hiking jim(referenced it in previous posts here)! Probably because I'm a stove nut too!

Cheers,
Salue
Oh, thanks, Salue.

Lots of good stoves out there. The trick is finding the right one for the job -- and knowing how to choose.

Happy stoving,

HJ

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The important element here is the fuel itself, which is a butane/isobutane blend. All of these stoves on the market using the new "standard" threaded valve use that fuel blend. Any fuel can from MSR, Jetboil, Snowpeak, Primus, Optimus, etc will work just fine.

And don't forget, because this fuel needs not to be pressurized like propane, this fuel is packaged in RECYCLABLE aluminum canisters.

86tuning

Adventurer
I was under the impression that these canisters had a bit of propane in them as well. And that's why inverted canister stoves like the MSR windpro work so well with an inverted can.

I've also heard of people recharging the canisters, but don't really have any experience with that at all.

hikin_jim

Note that Coleman does make mixed gas cylinders for the small stoves that have the standardized fitting. They make several sizes including a huge one that is great for leaving in the car.

Example of what their cartridges look like:
http://coleman.com/product/micro-backpack-stove/2000001833?contextCategory=2005#.UXXkDMovxSs
I've only seen one size of Coleman gas canister for backpacking type stoves -- a 220g (7.75 oz) size. I know they make a larger size (450g/16oz) that's available overseas, but I've never seen it in the US.

For backpacking type stoves, just be careful not to get the big, heavy 465g/16.2oz 100% propane canisters which have a different fitting (threaded, but much larger).

HJ

hikin_jim

The important element here is the fuel itself, which is a butane/isobutane blend. All of these stoves on the market using the new "standard" threaded valve use that fuel blend. Any fuel can from MSR, Jetboil, Snowpeak, Primus, Optimus, etc will work just fine.
Well, not quite. Some companies market a propane/isobutane blend. Others just have "regular" butane. Still others will have a blend of all three (propane, isobutane, and regular butane). It doesn't matter which you use in warm weather (above 50F/10C), but if it starts heading lower, then avoid regular butane.

And don't forget, because this fuel needs not to be pressurized like propane, this fuel is packaged in RECYCLABLE aluminum canisters.
Uh, no. The canisters are all steel. Put a magnet next to one. They can be recycled, but as steel.

Backpacking canisters are thinner and lighter than 100% propane car camping canisters because a blended fuel exerts less pressure, but they're still steel (well, there are some plastic bits in the valve, but everything else is steel).

There were at one time some partial aluminum canisters, but those have all been discontinued.

HJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles