Concern for Food/Kitchen and Sleeping Location

mmcan

Observer
I'm contemplating buying/building an all-terrain trailer with a RTT. The ability to bring so much more with you, and the comfort/ease is appealing to me.

But I always think about the location of the kitchen units and food storage relative to where you sleep. Backpacking in the Rocky's, we always sleep away from where we prep and eat our food, either continuing on for some time after leaving no trace, or at least 100 yards away if we can't continue to move farther away from the meal site. And NO food or attracting scents are allowed in the tents, ever. The food bags are placed in trees away from camp.

Have any of you had any issues sleeping DIRECTLY above the kitchen/prep area? You are right on top of your food cache, one of the biggest bear attractors known to man. And there's no way you can completely clean the trailer up after each meal so there's no residual scent or actual food drippings or particles.

I would think having some kind of hot wire perimeter would be necessary in areas with bears.

Can anyone tell me about there tricks to avoid a potentially dangerous situation? What do you do to stay out of trouble?

Thanks!!

IMGP0685.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles