wine glasses: Govino vs GSI?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I see in the latest OJ that Outdoor Gourmet is selling the Govino stemless wine glasses. Can anyone comment on how they compare to the GSI lexan stemless? I need a set and want to know which one is more durable. The Govino descriptions states that they are meant to be replaced over time, so my assumption is the GSI is more durable, but want to confirm.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Although I do not have any experience with the Govino glasses, I do have experience with both of GSI's stainless and lexan stemless wineglasses. We reviewed both in a 'Taste' comparison for our website. You can read about it by clicking here:

The Overland Gourmet: Camping Wineglasses

We really like the design and based on our findings, we chose the stainless version.
DSC_0620.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Although I do not have any experience with the Govino glasses, I do have experience with both of GSI's stainless and lexan stemless wineglasses. We reviewed both in a 'Taste' comparison for our website. You can read about it by clicking here:

The Overland Gourmet: Camping Wineglasses

We really like the design and based on our findings, we chose the stainless version.

Another item that IMO would be even better made out of titanium. Snow Peak: Are you listening? :)

OverlandGourmet

Govino versus GSI ...

For drinking and comfort in the hand, the Govino glasses are hands down the better glass for enjoying a glass of wine, scotch or beverage in general. They're more comfortable and I like how they flex and give a little bit. Real stemware you'd enjoy with a nice bottle of wine out to eat or at home isn't thick, it's slender and has a nice bit of elegance to it. Keep in mind, the Govino were designed originally for wine tasting events because wine makers couldn't travel with traditional stemware. So, created by wine lovers for wine lovers. See the NY Times, SF Chronicle, Wine Spectator, etc for press on them.

For durability and long term use, the GSI (plastic version so we can compare apples and apples here) is a heavier/thicker material and will probably take more beating in the long term. However, I hate that plastic/lexan material they (and other companies) use. In the long term, under heavy use, it has become brittle and looks like hell after it's scratched up from being packed in a bag and rubbing against other gear.

So, I think the greater question is what works best for your particular application?

If you're going to use them every now and then, then the Govinos should be fine. If you're going to throw them in a pack and use them long term for longer trips, grab a set of the GSI stemless.

The Govinos can be recycled after you've gotten your use out of them and they're inexpensive to replace. At roughly $3 bucks a piece (they come in a set of four for $12, which will go up to $13 on May 1st), I'd rather have two glasses for the price of one of the lexan/plastic GSI versions.

If you want something indestructible for long term use, you shouldn't buy any of them. A $3 or $7 glass is simply that - an inexpensive glass. You need the Snow Peak double wall titanium nesting mugs ...

http://www.snowpeak.com/ti-double-h300-stacking-mug-tw-123.html

It's "stemless" and you won't break it unless you run over it. :)

Hope that $0.02 helps.

Give me a call anytime if you want to chat more about wine, glasses, or the most important aspect of travel ... food. :)

Cheers!

Zach

coastsider

Adventurer
Recent field test

On my last tour of Death Valley I field tested the GSI wine 'glasses' along with a couple of Platypus 'PlatyPreserve' wine containers. I considered the stainless steel equivalents of the lexan GSIs but settled on the softer feeling of the GSIs, I also don't like drinking wine from metal containers (plastic is only marginally more acceptable). I also prefer the stemless type over stem for space saving reasons. In the field the GSI glasses performed very well, feel good in the hand, don't 'taint' the wine taste and clean up pretty well. I agree with the comment that they scratch up over time, but that is true of any plastic camp item. I think at the end of the day the real decision lies in do you prefer metal or plastic?

Not to highjack the thread but I think it's relevant to the subject line. The 'PlatyPreserve' wine containers work great. I never like taking glass on the trail it's heavy and too fragile. We decanted two pretty decent white burgundy into a couple of the containers, you then squeeze out the excess air which helps keep the wine from 'oxidizing'. They slide into the Engel 45 beautifully and squish into tight spaces with ease. The wine stayed fresh all week and tasted great from the first to last pour. Check 'em out here: http://www.platypreserve.com/.

Token

Explorer
Zach actually just sent me a pack of the Govinas.. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I gotta say I was actually expecting something entirely different..

They are about twice the thickness or consistency of a gatoraide bottle and seem to be about the same basic material. I think I was expecting a firmer more of a glass feel out of them.. Not saying there is anything wrong with them at all.. I was just expecting the "unbreakable" to be more like unbreakable lenses in glasses with a crisp, firm feel to them. More of a tumbler style cup.. Instead the "unbreakable" is more like.. well the bottom of an elegant plastic bottle..

If you're trying to set an elegant outdoor table they by far beat the red Solo cup..

Will hopefully have a chance to give 'em a field test here in a week or two..

derval

Hi

This is very informative. I did not know all these differences earlier. Keep posting such useful information.

overlander

Expedition Leader
This is all great information. I've actually had a pair of the stemmed GSI lexan glasses for years, and while great, the stemmed are actually too unstable (high center of gravity yet again) for a wobbly camp table or sitting on the ground, so I want to replace them with something stemless. The lexan has lasted over time very well, although they don't have that crystal clean look anymore. I'll have to upload a pic of one of them so you can see what time does to them.

When compacted with the stem on as a lid, the stemmed GSI's are actually a little more compact than the stemmed version for storage (since the stemless don't stack), and sealed since the stem becomes a snap on lid. So ultimately, it's about stability. Anything that can easily spill over when 4 people are sitting around a rollout camp table doesn't belong in a kit. At least the wine bottle has a cork in it! If GSI had made a compact version of the stemmed, with no stem but the base that still screwed on, it would be significantly more stable. There is clearly a hole in the market for one of these 3 companies to take top spot if they want it with a refined design balancing compactness, stability, durability and aesthetics.

I like the idea of the platypus discussion and it's welcome in this thread. This is the topic of wine and enjoying it outdoors. Personally, while in Iraq, I found the PERFECT wine crate for overlanding. it's a wooden mortar shell box (30mm rounds I believe) and after adding a little foam inside with Gorilla glue, it perfectly holds 4 standard wine bottles. My 2 stemmed GSI glasses in storage configuration, can substitute for one bottle. This has been tested on a couple events to include a Land Rover rally riding all weekend in the roof rack, and not a bottle has broken. I'll post up some pics soon of it to give others ideas. (yep, I hijacked my own thread.)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We've been using the GSI stemless stainless wine glasses for a couple years. I like them well enough, but the Govino glasses are the only other alternative I'd consider. The stemmed GSI glasses are slick, but unnecessary for me.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Are you guys freaking for real? Use your coffee mug, or better yet, just drink it out of the damn bottle. I am very close to calling you all several expletives that are no longer politicly correct.

D.

Alchemyguy

Observer
Are you guys freaking for real? Use your coffee mug, or better yet, just drink it out of the damn bottle. I am very close to calling you all several expletives that are no longer politicly correct.

D.

Also, quit yer snivelin' and sleep under a tarp. And sit on the ground, goldurnit. Coffee grounds straight into a pot of boiling water makes coffee, why would you do anything else? Snivel kit is for the weak and you're not really camping if you're comfortable and enjoying yourself.

theksmith

Explorer

D.

but good sir, only a vagrant would drink his libation directly from it's serving container.

franzia.jpg

;)

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
FYI, I've got a couple of the Govino glasses. I can't compare them to the other brand. The only downside to them is that they scratch somewhat easily.

- Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior