Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

pods8

Explorer
I am south of you, quite a bit. I am right by Puyallup/Enumclaw. Well i just got a hold of the person that was gonna sell me the siding, but i don't think it will work, because his pieces are 7'3'', but my camper is 8' long. What exactly is the foam board? Just insulation?

I dont really need any windows, as i am taking the side windows off this canopy

If i was to go with a jack idea in the future, i would buy some of those tripod jacks, as those would clear my finders. But with my project, i will only use it a few times a year or such, so it would be ok, to just go with the cable idea for now.

Yeah rigid foam insulation. It comes in different compression ratings (ie how much pressure it can take before it gives way) which can provide some backing to your aluminum siding. Will it be enough for your liking? I don't know but that is where some testing helps. ;)

No worries on the windows I just know I'll have some extras that will likely be free to local pick up and I didn't know if you were thinking about any others.

I wasn't so much worried about the type of jack you'd use as much as making sure you have some attachment points built into your frame for easy inclusion later.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Yeah rigid foam insulation. It comes in different compression ratings (ie how much pressure it can take before it gives way) which can provide some backing to your aluminum siding. Will it be enough for your liking? I don't know but that is where some testing helps. ;)

No worries on the windows I just know I'll have some extras that will likely be free to local pick up and I didn't know if you were thinking about any others.

I wasn't so much worried about the type of jack you'd use as much as making sure you have some attachment points built into your frame for easy inclusion later.

yeah, because if i used tripod jacks, they are never actually bolted to the camper, so it wouldnt matter if i build attachment points. these kind i would buy someday http://www.psndealer.com/powersportsdlr/images/ec0425/3463-0071.jpg

But they cost like 150 each. too much for me.
They will allow enough clearance for my fenders to pass by, instead of the hydraulic jacks. I would need the jacks to be 1 foot away from camper to clear the fender, so i will buy them someday. In my next post, it is just easier to make hooks, and because i already have a winch to lift my camper.

Last edited:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
This is my attachment point that i have on the corner that will be located on the four corners (i only have completed one corner so far). The D-ring when finished, will sit on roof, and it will be bolted to that 1x2 x1/8 rectangle bar. So i will have one on each corner, i can lift my camper on my truck and off, with a winch on my metal beam in my barn.
IMAG0051.jpg

The D-ring might look small, but its not. I am sure this ring just alone will lift 500lbs, but it will only need to lift 150lbs (if camper is 600) to 250lbs (if camper is 1000lbs) when camper is finished.

This is how far i am now. I will TRY to do the other corners tomorrow (i had time today, but a lot of it was just thinking of what i would do next HAHA)

And next week, i will buy some more 1x1 tubing and box in the door and windows and maybe a place to later on mount a tv.

Last edited:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I am thinking instead of getting aluminum siding or pvc plastic sheets, I will try to get a quote for about 4 sheets of 4x8 aluminum that are really thin. Anybody know how much they might be? It wont be for structural, it will only be for the looks and weatherproofing(DUH). Im gonna get 40 feet of 1x1 tubing tomorrow and that should be enough.

I have not worked on the frame since the last picutre, as i have been busy.

I might be getting a free 1960's 20 to 25 foot travel trailer that is complete crap. If i get it, i will tear it down since i want to make it into a car trailer. BUT! One reason why i want it, is because it has a 1990's or newer coleman rooftop AC unit that i might put on the camper if the AC works. Yes, IT WILL BE LARGE, but it will be better than a window ac unit. Does anybody know what kind of problems that an AC unit might have, how much money would it be to possible fix one? I dont even know if it works, but if it works, then i will fabricate the mounts on the roof to hold it in. It will just be alot better to have that than to have the inconvience of having to fabricate a door on the side of the camper to put a window ac unit in.

allochris

Adventurer
the al sheet might work, but how are you isolating al from steel? it might rust really bad in the long term especially w/ condensation buildup in cold weather inside & within wall.

i used a 4x8 al sheet flat on my roof. i bought mine i believe in winter 2006. 20 gauge thickness at $45cad/sheet.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
the al sheet might work, but how are you isolating al from steel? it might rust really bad in the long term especially w/ condensation buildup in cold weather inside & within wall.

i used a 4x8 al sheet flat on my roof. i bought mine i believe in winter 2006. 20 gauge thickness at $45cad/sheet.

Umm is that the normal price at a metal yard for that piece? I know it will vary though at metal yard to metal yard. I just dont want to pay 100 a piece.

pods8

Explorer
Umm is that the normal price at a metal yard for that piece? I know it will vary though at metal yard to metal yard. I just dont want to pay 100 a piece.

Metal prices are constantly moving with the market (they are on the rise right now again, FYI). Just call the local yards for current pricing.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Metal prices are constantly moving with the market (they are on the rise right now again, FYI). Just call the local yards for current pricing.

Yeah i know they are contantly moving. What thickness should i get? How should i attach it to the frame? Maybe attach wood to the frame first then glue the aluminum on? Any opinions appreciated! Thanks!
-Jeremy Spencer

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Along those lines, what about using plywood and spaying it with bedliner material? I saw some samples on bedliner materials on plywood and it seemed decent looking (they had different colors) and according to them the stuff would never come off (?) it would make life easier on a build.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Along those lines, what about using plywood and spaying it with bedliner material? I saw some samples on bedliner materials on plywood and it seemed decent looking (they had different colors) and according to them the stuff would never come off (?) it would make life easier on a build.

That does seem like it would work, but, that's not the look that I am going for. I want it to look like a real camper Haha.

SChandler

Adventurer
To attach the aluminum siding to the steel frame, there are a couple of good ways to do it: 3m VHB tape (or equivalent) or Sikaflex adhesive (or equivalent). The important thing is that the aluminum and steel are completely isolated (no gaps in the adhesive between the frame and the siding) to prevent galvanic corrosion. Descriptions of both processes:
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot1/diaries/diary_23/index.php - VHB tape.
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_10/index.php - see Tuesday September 25 entry for thoughts on which Sikaflex product to use.
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_19/index.php - installing aluminum sheet using Sikaflex.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
To attach the aluminum siding to the steel frame, there are a couple of good ways to do it: 3m VHB tape (or equivalent) or Sikaflex adhesive (or equivalent). The important thing is that the aluminum and steel are completely isolated (no gaps in the adhesive between the frame and the siding) to prevent galvanic corrosion. Descriptions of both processes:
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot1/diaries/diary_23/index.php - VHB tape.
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_10/index.php - see Tuesday September 25 entry for thoughts on which Sikaflex product to use.
http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_19/index.php - installing aluminum sheet using Sikaflex.

Oh i was going to paint the frame as soon as i am done with it, to prevent rust. Then i will attach the 1/4 plywood on the outside via screws, then Glue on the Aluminum sheeting. Then paint the aluminum to a silver, to prevent oxidation and to reflect heat even more off of it.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Got the side window frames done! They also function as supports for the overall camper.
They are only clamped on, just to take the picture. Haha.
IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier