Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Why not find an existing trailer frame, and build on that? I just personally do not have good feelings about building an entirely wooden trailer.

NOT WHAT I MEANT haha! I mean the frame of the teardrop itself, will be wooden. The trailer is a harbor freight 4x8 trailer.
I said wooden frame in my other post, because the frame of my camper is all steel, but the structural part of the teardrop will be wooded, not steel.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Gotcha, great stuff...

Well I hope you can finish up your slide in, it sure looked promising.

Good luck with the other projects you have going on.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I haven't read the whole thread yet but was thinking. Maybe adding some metal plates on the corners for jack mounting in the future? Never know sometimes plans change and you or someone else may want to put jacks on it. Would make things a lot easier if there were at least the support there for them.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Hell yall! I am the one that created this post, I havent been on for a few.. obviously. I am currently off from college for the summer and now i have more money so i will start working on this today. The pictures tell exactly where i left off, i havnt worked on it because of money being more of a priority but now I have the summer off. So today i just bought a cheap welder, the steel is only .095 so i bought a cheap 110 wire feed. Camper has some slight surface rust, but i will continue to work on this again. However, i was thining of maybe going with a roof top ac? But all the ones i find are like 14000 btu where my original ac would of been 5,000. A roof top one is in the budget, but at that many btus i would be freezing! Its not just as asethically appealing to have a window style air conditoner. Also, I think i changed my plans, i will use hydralic jacks on each corners but with extensions of some kind. Ill make them easily removalbe, as i wont want them on all the time. WIth the camper being as small as it is, i may just leave it on. I dont drive truck often (not my daily anymore) so i could leave it on for extended periods of time. I know i would go camping much more often if it was always on. I already have two working hydaulic jacks, i can always find more. Whenever i do "park" the camper, ill just set it on my small 4x8 trailer (no title or anything) and ill leave it on there so the jacks dont support the weight and so that i can move it aroumy property when needed.

I hope to hear some feedback soon once i start building again. Again, if anybody knows of a low btu roof top ac, please let me know. I dont want a rooftop and freeze with it on its warmest setting lol.

Xrunner

Explorer
Glad to see the camper is still in the works! I enjoy reading your build as I've contemplated doing something similar... but haven't moved past the contemplation stage. :)

In regard to the A/C have you considered something like like a ClimateRight 2500? They are popular with the teardrop crowd since some provide heat too, but might require shore power or a generator. You could always hook it up when needed and stow it for travels too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online