Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Hey! I just created this account, just to display my progress of a custom camper i'm making. I wanted a camper that is basic but is not a full size one because i am being cautious of my gas. But at the same time, i didn't want to use a fiberglass canopy, because they are too small But i intend on using it for road trips and such so it will be perfect to sleep in and lounge in..

Im making it out of .095 1x1 steel. I didnt want to use 1/16 (.0625) , because its too thin, but didn't want to use 1/8 (.125) because its too heavy. The decimals are not metric (for anyone out of US)

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

Jeremysp1993

Observer
IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

The last pic, is how it is at this moment. I will work more on it tomorrow. The area above the cab, is only storage, you dont sleep up there. The camper is only about 5'1'' wide.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
My plans are pretty much basic. It will be pretty basic. When im done with the shell, i well put on 1/4inch plywood on the outside, and glue on either some thin plastic that i found at home depot for 20 bucks a sheet for 4x8, or get a few 4x8 sheets of thin aluminum ( that will still be glued on). The overall camper will be 8 feet long, so a 4x8 sheet would fit perfectly with out any seems (but only on the edges where i will put some thin aluminum angle). After i install the outer sheeting/shell, i will insulate it with inch foam. Then install the inner panneling, and i will be done, i think, haha.

Right now, i am going to finish the main frame, then i will make the openings for the 48''x16'' windows on each side. They are from a scrap camper that i have. Then i will use a door from another small camper that i have, and make the door frame. Then i am also going to install a little vent ontop, that is also from that scrap camper. Im just figuring it out as i go.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nice Start! I would say defiantly insulate it, and don't forget some wiring for lights. Way easier to do it now than down the road. Keep up the good work. :smiley_drive:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Yeah, i was defiantly going to insulate it haha. Everywhere, even on the floor area. And if it gets too hot in the summer, ill just open the vents and windows! I was going to create someway for me to put an air conditioner in it. I have a spare door from a utility truck tool box like these http://www.800toolbox.com/service_body/service_bodies that i might somehow install, just to put an air conditioner through when i am parked. (but the door i have, is about the size of an air conditioner)

Jeremysp1993

Observer
A question for any of you! When i'm done with the shell, i was going to attach 1/4 inch plywood on the outside and 3/8 on the floor area. Im going for a low budget build (or i would of used aluminum for the frame) I found some 1/16 inch very flexible plastic at home depot for 20 bucks for a 4x8. Should i use that on the outside of the plywood instead of spending alot for aluminum sheeting? It would be just as weather proof (as im gluing the material to the plywood either way ) and it would be lighter, and WAAYYYY cheaper to use plastic than aluminum. I know aluminum would be better, but the plastic is very smooth, and seem like it will work! And on all the edges, i was gonna get some very thin/small aluminum angle to weather proof it (with calking and such)

tom

jeremysp,

Nice looking job! You might want to check that plastic at Home depot to see if it will handle UV. Uv can eat up some plastic pretty quickly. Worst case you could paint the plastic.

You might check in your area for a metal supply company. Some of them get seconds, small dent, bent corners, odd size etc. in steel and aluminum. I found some 48 in. x 74in. .030 aluminum for $15.00 a piece.

I skipped the 1/4 in. plywood on my unit and glued the outside skin, aluminum, to the ridged foam insulation with spray foam.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Good idea. But if i used the plastic, i would use plywood first, just to make sure the plastic has something more supportive behind it. The aluminum, i would not put plywood behind, but the plywood is only like 1/4 inch. Ill look around for aluminum when the time comes. Haha. I have to finish the shell first and then look in my wallet :D But for sure, i would put aluminum on top, just because of the heat. But most of the time, i will have it in a garage anyways.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
jeremysp,

Nice looking job! You might want to check that plastic at Home depot to see if it will handle UV. Uv can eat up some plastic pretty quickly. Worst case you could paint the plastic.

You might check in your area for a metal supply company. Some of them get seconds, small dent, bent corners, odd size etc. in steel and aluminum. I found some 48 in. x 74in. .030 aluminum for $15.00 a piece.

I skipped the 1/4 in. plywood on my unit and glued the outside skin, aluminum, to the ridged foam insulation with spray foam.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

And yes, i will see if its uv blah blah blah Haha. Thanks! Umm how bad do you think it would get? Like melt it? Cuz i could put some of that roof top sealer on it also, but on the top cuz its kinda pricey. Any help to this thread will help!

sarconcepts

Adventurer
No, the UV won't melt it, it will make it turn chalky & brittle, then crack just from expansion & contraction with heat. if you have the corners covered with angle (& caulked in) it'll be really hard to replace.
with this said, I don't know what kind of plastic you're looking at, just check it out first.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
No, the UV won't melt it, it will make it turn chalky & brittle, then crack just from expansion & contraction with heat. if you have the corners covered with angle (& caulked in) it'll be really hard to replace.
with this said, I don't know what kind of plastic you're looking at, just check it out first.

Yeah, i am maybe veering away from the plastic idea, if its not uv proof. I am looking at some travel trailers on craigslist( the ones that are parting out) and seeing if i can get some clean sections(where there are no windows/doors) And if the colors of the panels are different colors, then i can just paint! Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles