Grand Staircase-Escalant National Monument

Alex

Adventurer
I didn't think it was set up that way. Give my your email addy and I'll send the .gpx file over.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Alex said:
I didn't think it was set up that way. Give my your email addy and I'll send the .gpx file over.

The Adventure Forum does require that you are a member/supporter in order to do anything other than view.

travel dodge

Adventurer
so I need to add what I learned about these roads. 230 RD is cool, not supper techincal but some very scary narrow spots with water run out that almost washes out the tight road. I made it in my Ram but there were times I was thinking "If this next switch back washes out any farther I going to be backing out all night" I got through the big drop off (good pics) stuff right before dark which alowed be to "kinda baja" it into Page. The Fresh graded roads that run into Big Water can be traveled quickly. I found the same to be true with the parts of Smokey mountain road that I traveled. I never saw left hand collet canyon. I spent more time then I thought traveling the tight stuff 230 RD. If wanted to sight see the area I would come from the big water side and travel north to the lake powel overlooking spots. I saw the roads leading to them but I needed to get out before it got too late. Again go into the Blue Budda in Page for a Beverage or dinner, and try to get out on a boat in the lake if you can.. Viva la Page

also if you are coming from vegas there is an area called coral sand dune or something like that. I thnk could be interesting to explore, I was on there on the moto. I just stoped to streach my legs and continued on . It cool be a good spot to camp. happy travels.

SLOwag

Adventurer
I realize this thread and the original pics are a year old now but the water level on Powell doesn't look that low. Am I missing somthing? Anybody have pics of Powell from spring '08?

I miss Powell, it's probably been a dozen years since I house boated on that lake....:088:

Alex

Adventurer
This pic is from 04/26/2008, how does the water level look to you? Bear in mind that the bathtub ring you see is 4.7 miles away from where I took this photo:
orig.jpg

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Considering the last time I was in that canyon it was in a boat, that lake still looks nice and low...

They just need to drain it already...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Nice distraction...

Must have missed this the first time arround. Thanks for the cool pictures and trip report. Nothing like a bit of web wheeling to make you want to get out there...:safari-rig:

IH8RDS

Explorer
orig.jpg

I have been there before! I lived in Utah for about 10 years and things where allot closer then. Great pictures and trip. I got to get off the east coast!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier