My mystery military generator trailer

dentedvw

Wire twister
It's a 1964 Army generator trailer. It is a gift from my grandfather (in law, but I consider him my real grandfather because I never had one before).
jtrailer.jpg

jtrailer2.jpg

jtrailertag.jpg

I am going to use it mostly to move my DRZ about, and I hope to make a utility box to slide into it for trip use, like a mini-expedition trailer.

Unfortunately, today while removing the wheels to replace them due to the seriously cracked tires, I ran into some trouble. Why would I have guessed that while the lugnuts on the right side of the trailer are forward (right hand) thread, those on the left would be reversed? I wouldn't have. No.
I was turning, and turning and turning, thinking "gosh, it's a hard go on this one."

Yeah, this is why:
revlug.jpg

I need your best advice. I can sacrifice one lug if I have to. I was already planning on ditching the wheels for something from the junkyard, to get a 16" rim if possible, to reuse some 31" tires I already have.
I might try an air chisel to turn it backwards (forwards?!) until I can get a socket on it again. Ugh. What a mess.

After successfully removing the other side, where I might have done it again thinking it would be the same reverse thread as the other, I measured the holes on the rim again. Now it measures 5x5.25". Unless I have done it wrong again. I thought it was 5x5.5" previously. I am glad I didn't pick up any wheels yet. Now I guess I could reuse these, if I can save the left wheel, and get some skinny tires to put on it. Thoughts?

gr8lite

Look closely at the end of the wheel std, if there is a "L" that designates left hand thread , as it looks as you have already figured out. Should be easy to change them to RH thread. that way you don't need 2 different lug nuts in your spares box..... Nice trailer !

dentedvw

Wire twister
Look closely at the end of the wheel std, if there is a "L" that designates left hand thread , as it looks as you have already figured out. Should be easy to change them to RH thread. that way you don't need 2 different lug nuts in your spares box..... Nice trailer !

That's a good idea. I found out the hard way. I had never heard of that before. I may change them out. The bolt pattern is 5x5.25, so that's a drag. But the rims are 16", it appears, so I can use some tires I already have laying about.

dentedvw

Wire twister
Does anyone think that a set of wheels with a bolt pattern of 5x5.3 would work? I think some Ford trucks used that bolt pattern, around 1997-2000.
These rims appear to only be about 6 inches wide. Maybe 7, and I was concerned about fitment of my spare tires, they are 245 75, just took them off my Jeep last week.

I got the wheel off, btw. Air powered persuader. Tore up the wheel something awful, but got it off eventually. Now I know though.

I took a look at the wiring, as you would guess it's pretty wrecked. 40 years of outdoor storage will do that. One light housing is okay on the inside, but the other didn't seal properly, and it has a lot of sand and rust debris in it. I doubt the lights would work at all. So I am thinking of gutting them, and squeezing in some 4" LED lights inside, and reusing the blackout covers, after removing the paint from the back of the lenses, so that they will pass the red light from the LED's fully. Replacement lights are a bit pricy, and I am trying to get away cheaply with this for now. If only I could get some 3" STT LED lights, they would fit for sure. I am going to go see what I can turn up locally.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Are you sure the wheel lug pattern is 5x5.25 and not 5x5.5? From what I can see in the picture it looks like a trailer to be towed behind a military jeep. Jeep used 5x5.5 on all their stuff for decades, so did half ton Fords, Internationasl, Dodges, and a few others.

46flattie

Observer
Are you sure the wheel lug pattern is 5x5.25 and not 5x5.5? From what I can see in the picture it looks like a trailer to be towed behind a military jeep. Jeep used 5x5.5 on all their stuff for decades, so did half ton Fords, Internationasl, Dodges, and a few others.

I agree......and I just happen to have (3) rims and tires off a M-416 if your interested. (Looks like you are in MI as am I, PM me and I can give you the details.)

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I will be following this thread as I have recently picked up a similar generator trailer...the floor and fenders (as well as th data plates) were missing, but otherwise it looks like a beefed up 416 frame (add a leafs and some boxed in c channel on the front/rear.

Anyone out there know what i might have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz