Calimobber's Expedition 4Runner

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So after year of reading this forum and drooling over everyones amazing vehicles I finally got my platform. Ill try and take pics for every mod I do even the small ones, I know how we all love pictures :)

2002 4Runner 4wd auto

Mods

Dual Yellowtop batteries
Hella500FF HID Mod
DeckPlate Mod
Yaesu FT7900 2m/440 Ham radio
Cobra 75 (Half done)
43qt Edgestar Freezer
superflow 12v compressor
1000w Inverter
BFG A/T
HID in headlights(may go back to stock bulbs)
Trac/VSC/ABS Disable Switch
simple 12v gauge
12v plugs always hot

This is her on our first day trip.

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Last edited:

CaliMobber

Adventurer
First thing I did was the always HOT 12v mod. Just pop the hood and pull the relay/fuse box cover and locate the 12v plug relay. I just copied others and used a jumper to connect the 2 bypassing the relay. most used mod yet!

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Next was the deck plate mod. Seemed like a simple and cheap way to get a little more air while still leaving an option to seal it off.

IMG_0911.jpg

As it arrived in the mail

IMG_0913.jpg

removed the airbox, Cutting the was PITA without proper tools but I made it work.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I carried over my scan guage 2 from my other car since I really cant live without it now. I still think its the best mod ive done to any car since it gets used so much.

IMG_0972.jpg

For those of you who dont know, it cost around $160 and it plugs into your ob2 slot and reads all your sensors, can read error codes, calculate your gas mileage and million other things. super cool device.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I wasnt sure where I wanted to put some hella's but i settled on the front bumper since light bars cost over $200 and didnt know when i would get a roofrack.

I bought hella 500ff driving lights and installed HID's in them. i plan on getting some 500ff fogs to put on the ouside of the driving lights for more wide coverage

At this point I also ordered 3 toyota fog light switchs so use for my aux items. They should be here this week some time.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I bought the edgestar freezer a month or so before buying the 4runner since ive always wanted one. It norm lives in the runner and is loaded with drinks and is set at 34 F. I norm drive her everyday but she has sat for 24/hr with the fridge on and the batt still showed 12.1 so im very happy with the low power consumption.

IMG_0878.jpg

For now thats the ghetto tie down setup but Ill figure out a better setu

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Im kinda obsessed and Love to see the voltage of my batteries at all times . The scan gauge has volts but its not very accurate. A friend of mine used one of these and I liked the idea so I got one.

Digital Panel Meters by Martel - Products - Digital Panel Meters, Voltmeters, Ammeters, Digital Displays

My plan is to use a 3 way toggle switch and be able to switch in between both batteries but for now its just hooked up to the one yellowtop.

I just tapped into the 12v from my always hot cigarette plug. I compared the volts directly off the battery and they were the same.

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So I was planning on getting rear diff breather mod done and finishing up the ham radio setup but I got distracted and went rock climbing instead. I did end up getting the tube needed for the breather, so ill get it done tomorrow.

after climbing I got home to a package and it was my switches!! woot! 3 of them.

IMG_0985.jpg

So I decided to finally get the Hella's wired up to a switch and Do the VSC,TRAC,ABS disable mod.

IMG_0986.jpg

This is with just the vsc,trac disable. I put the hella switch in the top right spot.

here is a video of the switch in action. Its works good. Like previously stated by others, while driving if you want to reset the system and turn it back on just flip the switch and turn the key one switch back then back on again real fast and it wont kill the car but the system resets and goes back to normal operation :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o-vA2g58k_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Friday I drove out to the Ham Radio Outlet store in burbank and picked up all the things needed to finish the radio install. Guy at the store talked me into a rear hatch clamp style antenna mount. Im really happy with how it turned out and It seems to be working alright. swr is 1.2 or below on both bands.

IMG_0992.jpg

The Parts laid out.
IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

I ran the wire though the existing rubber tube for a clean look.

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Radio and Blue sea fuse box mounted under the seat.

IMG_1001.jpg

Clean look with this antenna, almost like an R/C car look lol

I did get the radio faceplate mounted but its only a temporary place for now. once I get a new radio, Ill use the bottom din slot for the radio faceplate. Its a much cleaner look and both passenger and driver can see and control it. Ill try get a pic of it tomorrow, its under the steering wheel mounted with sticky tape.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
While I had the rear panels off, I decided to mess with the air pump location. I saw this setup from another member's build and I liked it so much that I will copy him :). It will get mounted here when im ready to hardwire the air pump.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
And now for the Dual Battery setup!! This is my favorite mod and the one Ive been looking forward to the most. Ive just been pushing it off since I knew how much work it would be since i had to fabricate my own tray and everything. This took up most of my day today. i spent my easter building this :)

So First I started With moving over the abs relay box. I just removed the screws and moved it over. There was an empty screw hole already there. I made that little bracket in the picture and mounted it to give me a starting point as well.

IMG_1003.jpg

For the tray I just marked and cut angle iron using the battery for a temp-let. cut and welded one side at a time, until I had my square tray. then lined up the bracket I made earlier and welded that in place. sanded it all down and spray painted it. The welds aren't the greatest but they will hold lol

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Right now Im using a stinger 80amp Relay wired to a switch in the cab. I just flip the switch when I want them connected.

IMG_1019.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
And thats it so far. I got the 4runner about a month ago so im making good progress id say. More to come!!
Unbelievable start you have.. I got my 99 in 2001 and didn't start modding it for offroad until 2004-ish...

Lift and Sliders: Talk to Demello Offroad :)

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Neat. I am concerned about the lack of fusing on the wires coming from each battery to the relay. Everyone seems to want to skip that step; it's a potential fire hazard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles