SPOT connect opinions

zigsrig

Adventurer
Hey Gang,

My original SPOT tracker bit the dust over the weekend (my fault completely) and I am looking to replace it with a SPOT connect unit to use with my ipad/iphone.

What are your thoughts on this setup? I like that i can send my own personal messages (i know its an extra fee) and that I could permanently mount the SPOT device on my dash out of the way and use my idevice to control it.

Any pro's or con's to this setup? Or should I just get another SPOT personal tracker?

Thanks!!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I like the concept. Unfortunately it is not getting great reviews on REI.com. I would really like to try one myself before passing final judgment. I have know reservations about needing my smartphone to operate the device. Plus even without the phone you can send the SOS call.

Once they work out some of the reported app bugs, it will be a solid performer. I want to compare it to the Briartek Cerberus that is coming out in a couple months. The Ceberus will be more expensive, but offers two way communication anywhere on the planet using the Iridium satellite network.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=872240#post872240

DrMoab

Explorer
After using one for a couple of weeks I'll give you my opinion. This is coming from a year using the Spot 1 before.

Here are my pros and cons...

Pros
  • Unit is small and compact.
  • It aquires satalites very very fast. Much faster than my old unit.
  • Personal messages very useful and honestly makes up for the bugs

Cons
  • The iPhone app is a little buggy.
  • You need an iPhone or Android phone (charged) to make the unit useful
  • My unit will not always stay connected to the phone.
  • battery life much shorter than my Spot 1

Overall my biggest complaint is that once in awhile my unit will unpair from my phone and the only way I can get it to reaquire it is to turn the Spot off, tell my phone to forget the connection, turn the spot back on and re-pair it to my phone.

I still say that this is a minor inconvenience. The simple fact that you can send messages out... "Hey, I'm here and I need an upper radiator hose" is a huge huge advantage. Well worth the few bugs that I think they will work out over time.

zigsrig

Adventurer
Thanks.

Thats what I was looking for. I guess ill head to REI and pick one up and see how it works.

DarthBeaver

Adventurer
Just got back from a 10day trip to Death Valley with mine. here are my observations.

Pros
• Predefined messages make Check In/OK much much more useful.
• Ability to send a 41 character text message was VERY VERY handy when plans changed.
• Ability to make wife happy with messages when no cell reception!
• Once the message is communicated to the device from the phone you can shut the phone off to save on battery life.

Cons
• The iPhone app has a few quirks, but easily dealt with.
• because of the "belt clip" it doesn't easily mount in the car anyway… more annoying than anything.
• you MUST use lithium batteries…. every other type drains to fast to make it useful.
• Bluetooth disconnects are annoying.
• No confirmation that a message got sent
• Device has no memory so if a msg doesn't go out… and your device is turned off… you have to re-type from the phone...

Bottom Line: THis is now part of my "must have" kit even if I am just travelling. I can "Check In" even with no cell service!

DrMoab

Explorer
I went kind of redneck and put a small strip of velcro to the belt clip and another small spot on my dash. Problem solved.

I did this with my Spot 1 too.

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I've used my SPOT Connect on a couple different Android phones and never had an issue. Perhaps Android users are luckier in that respect. I remember some chatter about Apple and their restrictions on Bluetooth.

I've had mine over 2 years, and it works okay. I find that it is a bit sensitive to placement. SPOT makes sure to mention it a few times in the manual, but its a little bit disappointing how sensitive it can be in denser areas. I took a few hiking trips in Hawaii where I used the tracking feature and put the SPOT on my kids backpack carrier at the very top with nothing obstructing it, but it was clipped to a strap and it did not have its face flat toward the sky. None of my tracks recorded on various hikes once we hit a few trees.

Now, on the road, in the vehicle, it always gets out fine sitting on my dash. I really like the SPOT app for Android, I have had a great experience with it. It just works, easy to send out your custom messages, easy to do the Type and Send, and the app has a map that shows your pin drops and transmit data.

That said, I am looking heavily at the inReach system, the 2 way feature, even if just for the sake of acknowledging that a message has been sent, is very appealing.

Also, there are alternatives to lithium batteries. You can always use a voltage regulator to convert the vehicle 12V DC to a 3.0V DC signal. I posted a thread on that on here some time ago.

Its a good device, but technology is catching up with SPOT...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles